The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Really feel like Gadjovich has been written off undeservedly. We have so many great shooters but just brutal netfront presence. Evidenced by Brock playing garbage man. Taking away Brocks shot IMO is a huge issue on the PP and we are doing it for our opponents with deployment. Gadjo may not get many mins 5v5 but make no mistake he is elite infront of the net. He will also feed Tkachuk his lunch if needed which IMO is needed. 

Hardly, the man has been a point/ game scorer this season (8G, 9P in 9 games).  However, if his earlier issue of footspeed doesn't get corrected he still might have a tough time making it to the league.

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Hardly, the man has been a point/ game scorer this season (8G, 9P in 9 games).  However, if his earlier issue of footspeed doesn't get corrected he still might have a tough time making it to the league.

Foot speed won't be an issue standing infront of the net. I'm not suggesting he play 15+ mins just powerplay  o zone faceoffs and occasionally inserted when teams are taking liberties.  I whats the point of having 

Pearson Bo Motte

Rous Beagle Sutter

If you don't use them to give yourself the opportunity for favorable situational deployment. 

Edited by hammertime

43 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Foot speed won't be an issue standing infront of the net. I'm not suggesting he play 15+ mins just powerplay  o zone faceoffs and occasionally inserted when teams are taking liberties.  I whats the point of having 

Pearson Bo Motte

Rous Beagle Sutter

If you don't use them to give yourself the opportunity for favorable situational deployment. 

Problem is in bold... both in terms of the money they take up (scratching any would be a sunk cost) and their ineffectiveness (just waiting until their contracts are done, then they'll probably bring Jonah and Kole Lind up, plus any of Vesey/ Michaelis/ MacEwen)

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Problem is in bold... both in terms of the money they take up (scratching any would be a sunk cost) and their ineffectiveness (just waiting until their contracts are done, then they'll probably bring Jonah and Kole Lind up, plus any of Vesey/ Michaelis/ MacEwen)

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Sutter back if the price were right.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have mixed emotions on Sutter and Edler. I think a lot is going to depend on what they ask and what the market offers. 

Edler plays great and physical some nights. And others he gets totally beat. Same goes with Sutter, some nights he seems like a threat everytime he attacks. 

Then he struggles mightily. Rous and Pearson, if we can get anything for them I'd be fine with trading them. 

I'd like to see more of our youth. Because we need some speed and size on the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have mixed emotions on Sutter and Edler. I think a lot is going to depend on what they ask and what the market offers. 

Edler plays great and physical some nights. And others he gets totally beat. Same goes with Sutter, some nights he seems like a threat everytime he attacks. 

Then he struggles mightily. Rous and Pearson, if we can get anything for them I'd be fine with trading them. 

I'd like to see more of our youth. Because we need some speed and size on the team. 

When their contracts are up Edler, Sutter and Beagle go year to year. Pearson injury was unfortunate as he could have returned a pick. Team has to move on from Rous, Pearson and Benn. Benn is having a decent year so dealing him by April 12th should happen and OJ finishes the year. Rous has a limited movement contract but maybe they can deal him. Pearson might be shaking by the 12th, deal him.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:19 AM, Googlie said:

And that's what I like about Roussel.  He takes a lot of flak on these boards for the odd dumb penalty (hello Edler, Myers and Miller) and for the odd giveaway (hello Hughes, Petey and Miller) but he does hustle. He has an extra gear that you see when he is trying to run down an icing, or zero in for a hit.  He's abrasive, agitates and when confronted, will drop the gloves. 

A perfect bottom 6 player 

Not at a $3M cap hit. 

Roussel is one of those players who looks like he's doing a bunch of stuff, but in the end, what he gives the team is neutral.  Gonna state the obvious, but you need your bottom six to give more than they give up.  The only bottom six player on the roster that is on the positive side of the ledger is Motte.  All others are either neutral or on the negative side of the ledger.

• Vintage 1

On 3/20/2021 at 6:37 PM, hammertime said:

I would. The guy just can’t stay healthy and is a diminishing resource. Better to bring in your, cheap guys and bring them along. If we don’t do that we won’t be able to afford to re-sign Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Miller, and so on.

• Cheers 1

On 3/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, hammertime said:

Maybe if he was willing to sign for one and a quarter or so. That being said; he has probably more value as a trade chip at this point of his career.

I am not in dispute that he has been a good veteran presence on the ice and in the dressing room but I do think it is time to move on from him as he will not likely be part of the core vying for the Cup in two years time. There are a probably going to be a couple of younger centers that could be on the market that have the skill set JB is looking for or perhaps Jasek if they feel he is ready for the NHL.

24 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Maybe if he was willing to sign for one and a quarter or so. That being said; he has probably more value as a trade chip at this point of his career.

I am not in dispute that he has been a good veteran presence on the ice and in the dressing room but I do think it is time to move on from him as he will not likely be part of the core vying for the Cup in two years time. There are a probably going to be a couple of younger centers that could be on the market that have the skill set JB is looking for or perhaps Jasek if they feel he is ready for the NHL.

In the bottom 6 I see Sutter has having the most value to a team headed to playoffs. Beagle is a 2nd. Both great FO% centers. I agree that neither are likely to be on the roster when the team challenges for a CUP. Do they provide enough value to keep longer? Maybe one does. If Covid hadn't kicked the crap out of this season maybe Utica would have a more obvious succession option. I thought Graovic(?) hasn't looked to bad. 

I am not to happy about the fact that only Joulevi and Hogs are the only 2 rookies with any amount of TOI this year. It would have created a riot if Benning had played more prospewcts but it should have happened. There are about 25 games left, the Canucks won't make playoffs. Trade what you can and play the prospects. I would argue that the Canucks don't have a good enough handle on what they have. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

There are about 25 games left, the Canucks won't make playoffs. Trade what you can and play the prospects. I would argue that the Canucks don't have a good enough handle on what they have. 

We have just 19 games left