The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

I think the Canucks AHL farm team is going to be either in Abbotsford or in Northern California like Sacramento or maybe Eugene, Oregon if no cities in California have the facilities.

Also for Eugene the University of Oregon is looking to move into NCAA Division 1 Hockey and might get Uncle Phil Knight to build an arena on campus. 

On 4/17/2021 at 11:11 AM, nickp91 said:

Abbotsford has always been tossed around for Canucks AHL team

The good thing about Abby is that near new 7000 sear facility. When the Comets visited the Heat here, when Calgary played out of this rink, the place was pretty much filled. Being based here permanently would most likely draw welI, I should think. 

3 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I think the Canucks AHL farm team is going to be either in Abbotsford or in Northern California like Sacramento or maybe Eugene, Oregon if no cities in California have the facilities.

Also for Eugene the University of Oregon is looking to move into NCAA Division 1 Hockey and might get Uncle Phil Knight to build an arena on campus. 

Eugene and Springfield, Florence too, are some of the coolest little cities I’ve been to.  Why not...

Riverside, CA would be cool.  Pop 326,000 (c.f. Buffalo at 256,000).   About 45 mins drive from Palm Springs.  But only 30 mins from where Ontario Reign play (LA's farm team) so probably chasing the same fan base (except for Canucks fans, though)

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Riverside, CA would be cool.  Pop 326,000 (c.f. Buffalo at 256,000).   About 45 mins drive from Palm Springs.  But only 30 mins from where Ontario Reign play (LA's farm team) so probably chasing the same fan base (except for Canucks fans, though)

With Seattle coming in how long before there is a Pacific Coast division in the NHL? Put Vegas in the Pacific and you have 6 teams. Same time zone. Calgary and Edmonton could be part of a Mid-West Division. 

Gadjovich scores his 12th goal, unassisted, 1/2 way thru the 3rd to make it 3 -1. But Syracuse comes right back with an answering goal.  

5 mins left in the game

Cull pulls the goalie on a powerplay with 3 mins left, but Syracuse gets a shorthanded empty netter.  5 - 1

Final score 6 - 2

Edited by Googlie

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Gadjovich scores his 12th goal, unassisted, 1/2 way thru the 3rd to make it 3 -1. But Syracuse comes right back with an answering goal.  

5 mins left in the game

Cull pulls the goalie with 3 mins left, but Syracuse gets an empty netter.  5 - 1

Must be a severely depleted lineup going for Utica with all the guys called up to Vancouver. 

Gadjovich, Jasek, Woo...  who else was in the lineup today? 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Must be a severely depleted lineup going for Utica with all the guys called up to Vancouver. 

Gadjovich, Jasek, Woo...  who else was in the lineup today? 

Teves and Eliot on D,  Focht, Lockwood, Stevens and Keppen up front.  Rest were St Louis farmhands

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Comets have lost their last 2 games by identical 6 -2 scores since Rathbone flew west and  Baertschi came down with injury

I think Rathbone was the glue much more than  Baertschi. Hard to appreciate all the quality play that began with Rathbone.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

Teves and Eliot on D,  Focht, Lockwood, Stevens and Keppen up front.  Rest were St Louis farmhands

How’s Keppen looking?  I know he had a rough debut with the -3.... 

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

How’s Keppen looking?  I know he had a rough debut with the -3.... 

He was ok, given the circumstances. He doesn't PP or PK, and there were 22 mins combined penalties, so his 4th line 5 v 5 time was limited.  Was on the ice for the first goal against, but also on for the last Comets goal, so broke even in the +/- sheet.  Has decent speed - not blazing fast but gets there, 

It was their big line that got burned - Sam Anas, arguably the Comet's best player, was a -3 on the night, and Jasek and McKenzie both -2

Hey @Googlie

You watch the Utica game last night? I couldn't find it on AHL tv anywhere yesterday? Shows they beat Binghamton Devils 3-0...gonna see if the game is on today. Maybe it wasn't televised? You ever have this issue with AHL live?

Cheers

Edit/update: checked this morning and game is on AHL live now. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus

18 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Hey @Googlie

You watch the Utica game last night? I couldn't find it on AHL tv anywhere yesterday? Shows they beat Binghamton Devils 3-0...gonna see if the game is on today. Maybe it wasn't televised? You ever have this issue with AHL live?

Cheers

Edit/update: checked this morning and game is on AHL live now. 

The Comets were outplayed most of the night and outshot 41 - 18.  The real story was 20 year old Blues goalie prospect Joel Hofer with his first professional shutout.  Hofer was Canada's gold winning goalie in the world juniors last year.

The highlight for Canucks prospects was Will Lockwood's first professional goal.  A shorthanded breakaway with a nice deke to the backhand that he roofed.  Lockwood has good wheels but just hasn't been able to put away any of his scoring chances up until last night.

The Comets have been a little sluggish looking the past three games with Rathbone and Baertschi out of the lineup.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just hoping they stick to Utica, although I'm sure there are probably benefits to moving out west, there'd have to be for it to be considered. 

I like Utica. The travel out east is less strenuous, Comets fans seems very passionate and supportive, they seem to have a good relationship. From all the accounts I've heard over the years players have had nothing but positive things to say. 

I just hope they stay away from BC, that'd be the worst imo. Although I understand some Nucks fans would like to have them closer so they could watch in person. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm just hoping they stick to Utica, although I'm sure there are probably benefits to moving out west, there'd have to be for it to be considered. 

I like Utica. The travel out east is less strenuous, Comets fans seems very passionate and supportive, they seem to have a good relationship. From all the accounts I've heard over the years players have had nothing but positive things to say. 

I just hope they stay away from BC, that'd be the worst imo. Although I understand some Nucks fans would like to have them closer so they could watch in person. 

What do you mean there partner?

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

What do you mean there partner?

The last thing our developing prospects need is being exposed to BC's toxic media circus imo. They're relatively anonymous over in Utica, that wouldn't be so much the case in BC. It'd just give our local hockey media more to bitch about. They're Comets not Canucks, they don't need the Canuck treatment from fans and media. 

Being located elsewhere takes that off the table for the most part. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

The last thing our developing prospects need is being exposed to BC's toxic media circus imo. They're relatively anonymous over in Utica, that wouldn't be so much the case in BC. It'd just give our local hockey media more to bitch about. They're Comets not Canucks, they don't need the Canuck treatment from fans and media. 

That's an interesting take.  I dunno. Proximity means they get more exposure to fans and media but also to Canuck coaching staff, trainers etc. There are pluses to that as well you know.  Obscurity is not necessarily a prospect's best friend.

Funny that you believe that the hockey market in BC is now so toxic that what would always be seen as a positive in years gone by, you now see as a negative. 

I think that more positives would arise over time from proximity to our farm team. Granted there could be some crap but overall I would support a move to BC.

Thanks for explaining your viewpoint.

• Cheers 1