The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Is this real?  I didn't even know this could be a thing?

Very rare in recent AHL history for teams to share affiliates last time I remember an AHL affiliate was shared was when the Canucks shared the Manitoba Moose with the Dallas Stars in 2011, however Manitoba was an independently owned AHL team. St Louis has ties considering Utica Comets prior to becoming the Comets, was formally the Peoria Rivermen which was owned by the St Louis Blues. Technically the Blues sold us the Rivermen and we  relocated the team to Utica.  So the Blues have ties to that organization overall.

Not advisable considering you would want your own prospects seeing prime time. Their is a chance St Louis prospects may be more NHL ready and may dominate much of the spots, so you hope Ryan Johnson (GM of the Comets) and Trent Cull (hired by Vancouver) to prioritize our guys. 

Last season the Comets had nine players on AHL contracts plus a handful of others on PTOs that filled in throughout the season.  With a six player taxi squad even more AHL contracted players would have needed to be signed and play this season if the dual affiliation deal didn't get signed.  I see this just as a substitute for needing to sign AHL players to fill out a roster.  The coaching staff will still be from Vancouver who will ultimately determine playing time.

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Very rare in recent AHL history for teams to share affiliates last time I remember an AHL affiliate was shared was when the Canucks shared the Manitoba Moose with the Dallas Stars in 2011, however Manitoba was an independently owned AHL team. St Louis has ties considering Utica Comets prior to becoming the Comets, was formally the Peoria Rivermen which was owned by the St Louis Blues. Technically the Blues sold us the Rivermen and we  relocated the team to Utica.  So the Blues have ties to that organization overall.

Not advisable considering you would want your own prospects seeing prime time. Their is a chance St Louis prospects may be more NHL ready and may dominate much of the spots, so you hope Ryan Johnson (GM of the Comets) and Trent Cull (hired by Vancouver) to prioritize our guys. 

The Blues were without an affiliate back in 2017/18.  Vegas took over their affiliation with the Chicago Wolves after that relationship had soured.  Vegas allowed the Blues to continue to send their prospects there but it wasn’t announced as a shared affiliation like here. 

Is it mostly operational costs and how does it affect personnel appointment to share affiliates vs allowing other teams to loan prospects over (like above).  

10 minutes ago, mll said:

The Blues were without an affiliate back in 2017/18.  Vegas took over their affiliation with the Chicago Wolves after that relationship had soured.  Vegas allowed the Blues to continue to send their prospects there but it wasn’t announced as a shared affiliation like here. 

Is it mostly operational costs and how does it affect personnel appointment to share affiliates vs allowing other teams to loan prospects over (like above).  

Not sure, it sounds like from Ben Birnell Utica's beat writer suggesting half of Springfield's staff will join Uticas, so some regular Utica staff won't be working, which seems odd.

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not sure, it sounds like from Ben Birnell Utica's beat writer suggesting half of Springfield's staff will join Uticas, so some regular Utica staff won't be working, which seems odd.

Comets assistant coach Jason King was just promoted to an assistant coach in Vancouver which opens up a spot on the bench and on the ice in practice.  I could see Vancouver leaving that position open this season and having a Blues AHL coach fill the role.

• Cheers 1

I wonder which prospects are likely to be sent to Utica vs. taxi squad. I'd guess that the guys who are younger and need more development would be prioritized for Utica. My best guess:

NHL roster:

Hoglander (will be sent to Utica or back to SHL if he doesn't make roster)

Rathbone (wil be sent to Utica if he doesn't make NHL)

Juolevi

Taxi Squad:

Baertchi

Hawlyruk or Eriksson

Bailey

Groavac

Sautner

Chatfield

Dipietro 

Utica:

Lind

Jasek

Lockwood

Woo

Michaelis

Rafferty

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Teves

Eliot

Kielly

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Comets assistant coach Jason King was just promoted to an assistant coach in Vancouver which opens up a spot on the bench and on the ice in practice.  I could see Vancouver leaving that position open this season and having a Blues AHL coach fill the role.

Like with players promoting coaches up through the ranks will only help us attract top personnel going forward.

Good to see we’re giving a guy like King a big opportunity.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

I wonder which prospects are likely to be sent to Utica vs. taxi squad. I'd guess that the guys who are younger and need more development would be prioritized for Utica. My best guess:

NHL roster:

Juolevi

Taxi Squad:

Baertchi

Hawlyruk or Eriksson

Bailey

Groavac

Sautner

Chatfield

Dipietro 

Utica:

Lind

Jasek

Lockwood

Woo

Michaelis

Rafferty

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Teves

Eliot

Kielly

What do you think?

I think that makes sense plus it leaves plenty of roster spots open for Blues players that get assigned to Utica.  There is no need to go out and sign additional AHL contracted guys or use any more NHL contracts on free agents to play in the AHL.  Capfriendly shows Vancouver at 43 out of 50 contracts which will go to 44 when Hamonic gets signed which is still 2 or 3 less contracts than a typical year.

• Like 1

From Friedman’s 31 thoughts.  Teams with their farm team less than 5 hours away can apparently avoid the NHL’s minimum 1-week quarantine (4 negative tests over 7 days).  

8. Let’s look a little more at the AHL. Like Charlotte (Florida), Milwaukee (Nashville) and Springfield (St. Louis) announced Monday they will not play this season. The Checkers and Admirals made noises for some time that this would be their route, while the Thunderbirds made a more recent decision. 

If your affiliate is five hours away from your NHL home base, a quarantine is necessary. That played a role in the Blues’ decision. They quickly made it public that their prospects will join Vancouver’s in Utica. Florida’s are expected to join Syracuse (Tampa Bay) and Nashville with Chicago (Carolina). 

What wasn’t announced was a playoff structure. NHL clubs have made it very clear this season is more about development than competition. The post-season is not as big a priority for them.

9. Canadian participation (Belleville, Laval, Manitoba, Toronto) remains subject to the approval of local governments. It is expected that those teams will be asked to adhere to NHL-style protocols before permission is granted. It will be expensive, but these teams feel not playing is not an option. It’s also possible Ottawa and Montreal’s prospects move to their NHL arenas for the season.

47 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

NHL roster:

Juolevi

Taxi Squad:

Baertchi

Hawlyruk or Eriksson

Bailey

Groavac

Sautner

Chatfield

Dipietro 

Utica:

Lind

Jasek

Lockwood

Woo

Michaelis

Rafferty

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Teves

Eliot

Kielly

What do you think?

Isn't the taxi squad limited to between 4-6 players and one of them has to be a goalie?

On 1/5/2021 at 11:12 AM, theo5789 said:

Isn't the taxi squad limited to between 4-6 players and one of them has to be a goalie?

I think you're right the limit is 6.

Maybe it looks like this:

1. Dipietro 

2. Chatfield

3. Graovac

4. Eriksson

5. Sautner

6. Bailey

I think there's a pretty reasonable chance that Baertschi or Loui get sent to Utica. Maybe it will push Louie to retire. 

Just now, Bert Diesel said:

I think you're right the limit is 6.

Maybe it looks like this:

1. Dipietro 

2. Chatfield

3. Graovac

4. Eriksson

5. Sautner

6. Bailey

I think there's a pretty reasonable chance that Baertschi or Loui get sent to Utica. Maybe it will push Louie to retire. 

I suspect that they will want DiPietro playing games, so he would be in Utica with Kielly as the extra. If necessary, we could always call up DiPietro when needed. The rest I pretty much agree with. It's a toss up between Brisebois and Sautner for me. I'm curious if someone like Marc Michaelis would earn a spot over say Graovac. Most of the other players are young enough that they should be playing games in Utica.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I suspect that they will want DiPietro playing games, so he would be in Utica with Kielly as the extra. If necessary, we could always call up DiPietro when needed. The rest I pretty much agree with. It's a toss up between Brisebois and Sautner for me. I'm curious if someone like Marc Michaelis would earn a spot over say Graovac. Most of the other players are young enough that they should be playing games in Utica.

Not sure it's about earning a spot on the taxi squad as much as it's a spot for players who don't need anymore development. Michaelis may develop into a decent player but he won't do it sitting in the press box; much better to go to the Ahl. A guy like Graovac is pretty much done developing and that's why I suspect they will keep him.

5 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Not sure it's about earning a spot on the taxi squad as much as it's a spot for players who don't need anymore development. Michaelis may develop into a decent player but he won't do it sitting in the press box; much better to go to the Ahl. A guy like Graovac is pretty much done developing and that's why I suspect they will keep him.

Totally agree, but Michaelis is 25 already (26 by season's end), so is there really that much more for him to develop? I think if he can take faceoffs and maybe even PK a bit which he did in college, then I think there's value in having him on the taxi squad.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Totally agree, but Michaelis is 25 already (26 by season's end), so is there really that much more for him to develop? I think if he can take faceoffs and maybe even PK a bit which he did in college, then I think there's value in having him on the taxi squad.

I think Michaelis has spent a brief time playing pro in Germany but I really think he's better off in Utica unless he can make the 23 man roster. I think the taxi squad is a waste of time for someone who's never played real North American pro games and needs development. He might be Utica's top C

I'm not sure who will be sent to the Comets from the Blues org. but as far as I can tell, here's my Utica's projected Canucks Roster

Lind   Michaelis  Lockwood

Gadjovich Jasek Baertschi or Hawlyruk

Brisebois  Rafferty

Rathbone Woo

Teves.  Eliot

Kielly

Obviously this is all subject to change 

Edited by Bert Diesel

21 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

I think Michaelis has spent a brief time playing pro in Germany but I really think he's better off in Utica unless he can make the 23 man roster. I think the taxi squad is a waste of time for someone who's never played real North American pro games and needs development. He might be Utica's top C

I'm not sure who will be sent to the Comets from the Blues org. but as far as I can tell, here's my Utica's projected Canucks Roster

Lind   Michaelis  Lockwood

Gadjovich Jasek Baertschi or Hawlyruk

Brisebois  Rafferty

Rathbone Woo

Teves.  Eliot

Kielly

Obviously this is all subject to change 

The taxi squad is basically the first call ups. Any minor injuries and we need a body, they are in. I almost prefer Michaelis instead of say Bailey just because it never hurts to have more centers ready to go. I don't disagree that Michaelis could benefit from more playing time, but practices with the big club could help him grow as well given his age and stage of development.

Either way I'm fine with, I'm just curious if he gets a look for playing time this year.

• Cheers 1