The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

59 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Final - Utica 3, Syracuse 0.  Jasek with 2 apples.  Nolan Stevens 2 goals

I am hoping we have a gem in Jasek and he can crack the Canucks maybe as soon as next year and be a nice younger option in the bottom 6. Cull seems to be getting the best out of him among others, get him on the Canucks coaching staff

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Tonight will be the Comets final home game of the season.  After eight seasons it will also be the final time that I go to the Aud and watch the Comets wearing the Blue & Green.  There are some Canucks fans that would like to go back to the old colors and the retro skate jersey but I think the current Canucks/Comets colors are the best in hockey.

I am excited to move on to the next chapter of AHL hockey in Utica.  The stability of a new ten year agreement with New Jersey with a mutually agreed to opt-out after year seven allows Comets fans to relax and not have to worry about the team leaving every other year as the six year agreement with Vancouver was essentially three, two year agreements.

I believe the change is in the best interest of each organization.  Vancouver will have their AHL prospects closer to home which will be easier for call ups and better exposure to the local fanbase.  Comets fans will have an easier time following the prospects as they advance to the NHL with an east coast partner in addition to the stability that comes with the new agreement.

The Vancouver Canucks will always be my favorite west coast NHL team and I will continue to follow the team and especially the guys that got their start in Utica.  I will forever be grateful that they took a chance on our small city so many miles away and that they stayed long enough for Utica to prove that we have a place in this league.  The eight years of support we showed for the Canucks prospects was instrumental in finding another NHL team to trust us with their prospects. 

I wish the new team in Abbotsford well and hope you guys get a chance to see them play in person.  Show your support through both the successful and lean years because ultimately that is what keeps AHL hockey in your city.  

Good luck and hopefully we get to play each other in the Calder Cup Finals next year

Best wishes for Utica’s future with the Devils org. I think this is your second go around with them? My cousin Jamie Huscroft was drafted by the Devils and played for their AHL team for a couple of years. This was in ‘70’s so awhile back. He always spoke highly of the org. 

UticaHockey, you have always been a solid source of info about the Canuck prospects and I thank you for that. Will miss your  observations. I am sure there will be a Calder meeting!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Best wishes for Utica’s future with the Devils org. I think this is your second go around with them? My cousin Jamie Huscroft was drafted by the Devils and played for their AHL team for a couple of years. This was in ‘70’s so awhile back. He always spoke highly of the org. 

UticaHockey, you have always been a solid source of info about the Canuck prospects and I thank you for that. Will miss your  observations. I am sure there will be a Calder meeting!

jamie Huscroft was a fan favorite when the Utica Devils came to town back in 1987.  He played all or part of five of the six years that the Devils had their AHL team in Utica. 

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

jamie Huscroft was a fan favorite when the Utica Devils came to town back in 1987.  He played all or part of five of the six years that the Devils had their AHL team in Utica. 

So much for my dates. His dad could have played NHL if he had had the opportunity. That’s what Johnny Bucky always said. Jamie’s brother was pretty good too. Bigger and meaner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

So much for my dates. His dad could have played NHL if he had had the opportunity. That’s what Johnny Bucky always said. Jamie’s brother was pretty good too. Bigger and meaner. 

Jamie's dad; Bill, was one of the sturdiest players I had ever seen. Guys in the commercial B league would take runs at him only to bounce off him like a swatted fly.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Tonight will be the Comets final home game of the season.  After eight seasons it will also be the final time that I go to the Aud and watch the Comets wearing the Blue & Green.  There are some Canucks fans that would like to go back to the old colors and the retro skate jersey but I think the current Canucks/Comets colors are the best in hockey.

I am excited to move on to the next chapter of AHL hockey in Utica.  The stability of a new ten year agreement with New Jersey with a mutually agreed to opt-out after year seven allows Comets fans to relax and not have to worry about the team leaving every other year as the six year agreement with Vancouver was essentially three, two year agreements.

I believe the change is in the best interest of each organization.  Vancouver will have their AHL prospects closer to home which will be easier for call ups and better exposure to the local fanbase.  Comets fans will have an easier time following the prospects as they advance to the NHL with an east coast partner in addition to the stability that comes with the new agreement.

The Vancouver Canucks will always be my favorite west coast NHL team and I will continue to follow the team and especially the guys that got their start in Utica.  I will forever be grateful that they took a chance on our small city so many miles away and that they stayed long enough for Utica to prove that we have a place in this league.  The eight years of support we showed for the Canucks prospects was instrumental in finding another NHL team to trust us with their prospects. 

I wish the new team in Abbotsford well and hope you guys get a chance to see them play in person.  Show your support through both the successful and lean years because ultimately that is what keeps AHL hockey in your city.  

Good luck and hopefully we get to play each other in the Calder Cup Finals next year

It was great dialoguing with you over the years!

Wishing you and Utica fans the best of wishes you all begin a new journey with New Jersey, thank you for your coverage of the team and bringing insights to the West Coast as games were very hard to access at times over here.

• Cheers 1

I'll add my name to those thanking UticaHockey for the contributions over the years. Always insightful, and usually nuanced in ways that we who just watch the AHLTV feed dont see.

Good luck with the new (old) affiliation.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Jamie's dad; Bill, was one of the sturdiest players I had ever seen. Guys in the commercial B league would take runs at him only to bounce off him like a swatted fly.

Bill must have been 6' 4". Terrific wing span. Bill's dad Charles was also a big man. My mother told stories of Charles organizing the local kids into a hockey game with him in goal. Yep, the legs wrapped in catalogs since there were no pads. No raisees! Well of course Charles took one on the forehead and Mom said the blood was spurting straight up in a gusher as he laid on the ice. 'Thought Charles was dead'. Well he wasn't but was he mad. Mom said he got up swearing and took his 2 boot goal posts and the puck and went home. 

Now Roger was/is a big man! Big Daddy was so easy going but no one in their right mine would fool with him. 

Great days in old Lister Kootenay!

12 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I'll add my name to those thanking UticaHockey for the contributions over the years. Always insightful, and usually nuanced in ways that we who just watch the AHLTV feed dont see.

Good luck with the new (old) affiliation.

Couldn't agree more. Always had informative and REALISTIC comments/responses about players. Lots of people have their fan glasses on all of the time, and because of that they aren't or can't be objective. I always found UticaHockey really honest about his player assessments. 

• Cheers 1