The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UTICA COMETS] 2020-21 Season

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

19 hours ago, Fanuck said:

St.Louis has more players (yes, I know, just a couple more) than Vancouver does on Vancouver's farm team?  Don't see that too often. 

Can we send Loui down to even out numbers......:ph34r:

We have loaned a few players to a Canadian AHL team for easier call up options. So it makes sense that our Utica contingency is depleted a bit while St Louis doesn't have their farm team available this season, so they're sending most to Utica.

Interesting. Kole Lind played some center for the Comets but mainly it was on the powerplay not so much 5v5. Adding another versatile piece to his game could go a long way and may even afford him more looks in the Canucks roster moving forward should Adam Gaudette not seize the center spot, and with Sutter and Beagle potentially phased out in the next 2 years.

• Thanks 1

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:

19. I really feel for the AHL, its team and its players. It’s a financial mess and an enormous challenge for everyone involved. Last summer, the Professional Hockey Players’ Association (which represents AHL and ECHL players) agreed to pro-rated salaries for this season. Back then, the league was talking about 56 games with 31 teams. Now we know three are out, and no one will play 56 — with the Canadian teams coming in as low as 24. Ontario has not yet given permission for Belleville or Toronto, and Stockton’s team looks like it’s headed to Calgary. One player said he was looking at the possibility of $30,000 pay for four months work, which he said he couldn’t afford to do. 

The NHL teams, who recognize the importance of their prospects playing, are prepared to help out to the tune of guaranteeing at least 40 per cent if the season cannot be completed due to COVID, with the PHPA countering at 60 per cent. There were calls going on today to see where everybody stood, but, as you can imagine, there are raw/hard feelings everywhere. It’s brutal.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lind first star. Strong defensive game by Teves and Lockwood. Lind taking key draws and solid defensive play - looking good as a centre.

Agree with that summation, and I think Focht had a strong game too.  Didn't appear on the stat sheet, but was strong on faceoffs (I'll venture to say that about 2/3rds of his were D-zone), with he and Jasek taking the crucial penalty kill faceoffs

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Cull has done a good job on the roster split

3 D from each team

7 Canucks and 5 Blues forwards

Both goalies are  Blues

No captains - just alternating "A"s (Baertschi, and Santini & McKenzie from the Blues)

Do the Blues have any quality prospects?

I’m not seeing much talent from their end.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Do the Blues have any quality prospects?

I’m not seeing much talent from their end.

Scott Perunovich the Hobey Baker winner last year was originally assigned to the Comets but was reassigned to the taxi squad.  They have a couple of their better prospects on the taxi squad.  The players in Utica seem to be a combination of AHL veterans and mid level younger prospects.

• Vintage 1