The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Players are going to have serious objections about being uprooted from their families on this short notice.  You wanna be the one who tells Horvat he can't see his wife and baby all season long?

This exactly.  Some people seem to forget the players and the team staff are real people with families and lives outside the rink 

• Wat 1

I think they could relocate all of the Canadian NHL teams in America, have them play in the same time zone, and in NHL sized arenas, and can hold up to 17,000 fans with favourable COVID laws in place:  Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Houston, San Antonio, Milwaukee, New Orleans and Madison. 

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Players are going to have serious objections about being uprooted from their families on this short notice.  You wanna be the one who tells Horvat he can't see his wife and baby all season long?

Seriously? Their families can move with them. Schools are shut down. And if not, Horvat is paid millions of dollars to do what he does. Part of his high salary is an inconvenience fee for the lifestyle he lives. All professional athletes miss out on precious moments, that is life. The Sedins said they missed out on tons of birthdays and important memories. That comes with the job. If Horvat doesnt like it he can always quit. No one is forcing them. My brother worked up in the oil fields for 4 months straight and didnt see his family hardly at all, didnt hear him whine about it and he wasnt making millions of bucks. LOL. Ok still not sure if you were serious or not. lol.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

There is a reason a lot of guys sign No Movement Clauses and it's not so they can uproot their families.  Edler took a discount to stay in Vancouver because he wants to live here.  You're asking our players to relocate their families to a country that has grossly mishandled the pandemic, or leave them at home for who knows how long while they go on the worlds longest road trip in said trainwreck of a country.  I guarantee you most players would prefer a bubble in Canada to this, and the players did not, as a group, enjoy the bubble experience.  These are not oil workers; they are in a unionized environment and they didn't sign up for this.  They have every right to tell the league to pound sand.

Unfortuntely people are dying buddy. It's a virus. So how about this, those guys with NMC's have two choices...

1 Don't play hockey and collect CERB like the rest of us

2 Play hockey and suck it up and be away from your family

Seriously LOL

Unionized environment??? Didn't sign up for this???? Tell the employer to pound sand????

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Guess what? Nurses are unionized environment too. And they didn't sign up for this. Can they tell the employer to pound sand too for asking them to work with masks on, and work OT and work with high patient loads? I doubt any nurse signed up to spend 16 hour shifts wearing a face mask. You feel more sorry for a bunch of millionaire hockey players, some of who have spent the last 8 months doing nothing at home with their families, where is your bleeding heart for all the other unionized workers? Ill be sure to tell my nurse friends who are burnt out to tell their employer to POUND SAND!

Wow, best laugh I've had on here in a while. Thank you.

Edited by DonaldBrashear

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ads on players gear are allowing us to see hockey in a pandemic where fans aren't allowed in stadiums.

It’s a slippery slope...just a year or so ago when adidas logo came out on the new uniforms Bettman said no other adds would ever be allowed on the uniforms... “over my dead body”... he’s quoted as saying ... now with pockets light turns out he’s still alive .... if it’s true then I guess never say never.    Just pray it’s only for one season.   It’s going to look terrible ... 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, D-Money said:

Do ads on the boards take away from the experience? Not really, you just get used to them. And those are waaaaay bigger than ads on helmets.

Ads on gear was inevitable. Let's just hope we never get to the "covered in bumper stickers" look of the European leagues.

It’s a slippery slope - and that would ruin it for me personally (bumper sticker look)...One year for sure - but will they ever pull it? Once a revenue stream is added it’s hard to remove.    A lot was said on the subject when the new uniform deal was made .. How aside from one logo which is barely noticeable, would be the only thing ever to grace the NHLs brand.   If it means hockey over no hockey then ok.   Hope they do what us needed to keep afloat .... but don’t keep them one minute past that.  

Edited by IBatch

12 hours ago, mordekai said:

Both Raptors and Blue Jays did it... so did the canadian MLS teams.

I have a hard time seeing the NHLPA agreeing to that.  The US is in serious trouble and the next 4 months are going to tragic for them.........I can see a lot of players opting out, especially Canadians and Euros

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

With an extension to the US TV deal, the NHL can't afford not to have a season. The amount they could lose on the upcoming deal could be monstrous if they cancel this season.

Some things are more important than sports

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Unfortuntely people are dying buddy. It's a virus. So how about this, those guys with NMC's have two choices...

1 Don't play hockey and collect CERB like the rest of us

2 Play hockey and suck it up and be away from your family

Seriously LOL

Unionized environment??? Didn't sign up for this???? Tell the employer to pound sand????

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Guess what? Nurses are unionized environment too. And they didn't sign up for this. Can they tell the employer to pound sand too for asking them to work with masks on, and work OT and work with high patient loads? I doubt any nurse signed up to spend 16 hour shifts wearing a face mask. You feel more sorry for a bunch of millionaire hockey players, some of who have spent the last 8 months doing nothing at home with their families, where is your bleeding heart for all the other unionized workers? Ill be sure to tell my nurse friends who are burnt out to tell their employer to POUND SAND!

Wow, best laugh I've had on here in a while. Thank you.

That's mighty sociopathic of you

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman on Kfan yesterday says the issue is that they don't want teams travelling across the country.  Other workplaces stay put.  

Make each team have a single designated plane allocated to be in each teams bubble. Add a single bus to transport to and from the airport. They would have to clear logistics with YVR. Cleaning and safety protocols could be mandatory for each city. 

As far as I know there are less people travelling and more planes available?

This would bypass the red tape at the airports.

This could make each team no contact with the public en route. 

Also they could play two games instead of one each visit to reduce travel.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

I would personally have no issues if any Canuck player said no thanks to this season. If they can afford to walk away from their pay for the season all the power to them. If I was a single guy like most of the young guys I would probably play but to leave the family for a shortened season in the COVID capital of the world, no thanks. 

My bigger concern would be that there are long term effects of this virus that could seriously compromise a players ability to continue playing at a high level and they won't be in a bubble, players will be getting sick.  That's not an insignificant risk

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Didn't the owners of Van/Edm/Cgy say the cost of moving their AHL affiliates north for a canadian division for the year would be too expensive? So why would 7 NHL clubs, along with 4 AHL affiliates agree to move south for the season? 

I'd say the best balance would be, say, 4 weeks in a bubble, playing every 2nd day, 2 weeks off at home, with limited interaction with the rest of the public, at least until the NHL can secure vaccines, and provincial restrictions are lightened.

38 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Make each team have a single designated plane allocated to be in each teams bubble. Add a single bus to transport to and from the airport. They would have to clear logistics with YVR. Cleaning and safety protocols could be mandatory for each city. 

As far as I know there are less people travelling and more planes available?

This would bypass the ted tape at the airports.

This could make each team no contact with the public en route. 

Also they could play two games instead of one each visit to reduce travel.

Pretty sure that it’s going to look something like that.   Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see many back-to back games in the schedule against the same team.    They did a terrific time with the bubble and I’m sure they will make it as safe as possible...and yes the airports are not busy ...at least in Canada 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

In my mind the botton-line is the health and safety of the people involved is more important than the economy of the NHL, period, full stop.

That being said and if hockey is a go, I wonder if the Canucks could locate in Seattle for a shortened season and play in the Kraken's new building.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

My bigger concern would be that there are long term effects of this virus that could seriously compromise a players ability to continue playing at a high level and they won't be in a bubble, players will be getting sick.  That's not an insignificant risk

Agreed. Everyone has to make their own decisions on playing and the risks they are taking. 

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

With an extension to the US TV deal, the NHL can't afford not to have a season. The amount they could lose on the upcoming deal could be monstrous if they cancel this season.

Is the TV deal that big though to cover to salaries of the players?  NHL has always been a gate driven league hasn’t it?  I don’t know....hence my question.