The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

With an extension to the US TV deal, the NHL can't afford not to have a season. The amount they could lose on the upcoming deal could be monstrous if they cancel this season.

Is the TV deal that big though to cover to salaries of the players?  NHL has always been a gate driven league hasn’t it?  I don’t know....hence my question.

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure that it’s going to look something like that.   Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see many back-to back games in the schedule against the same team.    They did a terrific time with the bubble and I’m sure they will make it as safe as possible...and yes the airports are not busy ...at least in Canada 

I think the biggest hurdle would be security. Somebody needs to frisk the boys.

Friedman was on Kfan yesterday.  He heard that 11 or 12 owners don't even want to play this season because they would be playing at a considerable loss.  The NHL needs 21 votes from the Board of Governors for a return to play.  Friedman was saying that Bettman is doing a good job in talking to them personally and making sure it doesn't boil over into the Board of Governors calls or in the media.  They need to find ways to increase revenue.

Friedman believes that ads on jerseys could be coming the following year. There's also the new TV deal that could be split between NBC + Fox or ESPN.  

The preference is to start in home buildings but with every day that goes by and the increase in cases, hubs become more likely.  Columbus, Newark, Vegas and Toronto or Edmonton are the hubs that are being considered.   He insists that no one wants hubs but says it might be unavoidable if they want to start the season in January.

• Thanks 3
23 minutes ago, Stelar said:

The NHL will not cancel the season. Every league and sport is playing. It will happen but let’s not be fooled into thinking it will be a real season. 

no other country in the world is dealing with 3000+ dead every day, tens of millions of infections and the worst yet to come.

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

no other country in the world is dealing with 3000+ dead every day, tens of millions of infections and the worst yet to come.

I agree but the NFL, NBA, MLB, Soccer, UFC, etc are all playing/have played so I don't see the NHL cancelling. Not gonna happen.

50 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

In my mind the botton-line is the health and safety of the people involved is more important than the economy of the NHL, period, full stop.

That being said and if hockey is a go, I wonder if the Canucks could locate in Seattle for a shortened season and play in the Kraken's new building.

Oh, that would be something!

Maybe we could leave the old Canuck Curse in their barn...

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I agree but the NFL, NBA, MLB, Soccer, UFC, etc are all playing/have played so I don't see the NHL cancelling. Not gonna happen.

those leagues aren't populated, primarily, by Canadians and Euros and their families.  Further to that, the US has their hardest work ahead of them and unimaginable tragedy in the next 3-4 months..........we might see a total shift in direction from them on all fronts

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

those leagues aren't populated, primarily, by Canadians and Euros and their families.  Further to that, the US has their hardest work ahead of them and unimaginable tragedy in the next 3-4 months..........we might see a total shift in direction from them on all fronts

So are you saying that there won't be a season or there shouldn't be a season? "Shouldn't" I'm on board with, "won't", impossible....

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Is the TV deal that big though to cover to salaries of the players?  NHL has always been a gate driven league hasn’t it?  I don’t know....hence my question.

The league is very gate-driven, but I'm pretty certain that TV deals still make up over half of the league's revenue.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-nhlpa-tentative-deal-56-game-season/

NHL and NHLPA have tentative deal on 56-game season

The NHL and NHLPA have reached a tentative deal on a 56-game season, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has learned.

A conference call will be held by the NHLPA on Friday to discuss the proposal. The NHL's board of governors will also hold a call, which has yet to be scheduled. Both the players association and the board still must hold votes to ratify the deal.

The tentative agreement calls for no exhibition games to be played, Sportsnet's Chris Jonston reported, meaning the NHL will go directly from the off-season and training camps into real games.

At this time, the deal does not include a resolution to where Canadian teams will be playing, Friedman reported. Provincial COVID-19 restrictions have complicated the NHL's bid to conduct an all-Canadian division comprised of Canada's seven clubs. If games cannot be played in Canada, the NHL has considered a plan that would see Canada's teams play their seasons in the United States.

The league and player's association cleared a big hurdle earlier this month after after agreeing the economic framework of the newly negotiated CBA won’t be changed.

The NHL's plan prior to this agreement was to start the season on Jan. 13, with non-playoff teams reporting for training camp on Dec. 28 and others on Jan. 1. It is not known at this time if the to-be-voted-on deal will use these same dates, or adjust the season's timeline.

• Thanks 1