The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Then Montreal and Winnipeg are no slouches either. I'll even go out on a limb and say the Canadiens will finish top-3. Calgary will disappoint.

Ottawa also is likely to surprise; there's a lot of similarities to us last year:

Montreal

Vancouver

Ottawa

Winnipeg

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Then Montreal and Winnipeg are no slouches either. I'll even go out on a limb and say the Canadiens will finish top-3. Calgary will disappoint.

Yes, I was thinking the same when I put Calgary in there tbh. I think Edmonton has issues, but they have 2 top 5 players on their team so they sneak in. 

For all the hate we give Toronto, they have a solid team and are going in with much of the same, which is a huge benefit with the quick turnaround and short season. 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So now the Canucks players and staff have to uproot their families to go live in Edmonton or Toronto despite the fact they would be posing no more risk than any activity that is currently allowed.

The political grandstanding is blatantly obvious. You can’t tell me having people packed in shopping malls poses less risk.

Really curious to see what their reasoning is. Seems to me like they’re arbitrarily choosing what businesses can operate and which can’t.

I just can't figure out what is a possible political gain here? All provinces are on board with NHL plan, only BC is against. 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No easy night that’s for sure.

Very strong division. Good chance for the boys to up their level.

3 easy teams:

Calgary with their  bold decision to not play any men  in their top 6

Edmonton with their AHL quality bottom 6/goalie and Barrie on the blueline

Toronto with their ECHL quality blueline and coach

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I just can't figure out what is a possible political gain here? All provinces are on board with NHL plan, only BC is against. 

It’s all about optics as far as I can tell.

I’m not seeing any logical reason why they’ve deemed the NHL a public health risk despite dozens of other more dangerous risks being allowed in the province.

This is what makes citizens lose trust more than anything. When there doesn’t seem to be any clear standard.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

3 easy teams:

Calgary with their  bold decision to not play any men  in their top 6

Edmonton with their AHL quality bottom 6/goalie and Barrie on the blueline

Toronto with their ECHL quality blueline and coach

Edmonton still has McDavid and Draisaitl who can single handedly take over games. No easy task there at all.

Calgary had a down year but with better goaltending they’re gonna be tough most nights.

Toronto still has our number last time I checked. Until we can beat them consistently I would hardly say we’ll have an easy time against them.

I think you’re underestimating them.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edmonton still has McDavid and Draisaitl who can single handedly take over games. No easy task there at all.

Calgary had a down year but with better goaltending they’re gonna be tough most nights.

Toronto still has our number last time I checked. Until we can beat them consistently I would hardly say we’ll have an easy time against them.

I think you’re underestimating them.

its going to be a grind. My guess is top 5 teams are separated by 3-4 points most of the year, if not all of it. One or two games will be the difference between playoffs and lotto balls.  

Okay, just read the post below

Kids can be in school and people can fly in and out etc. Other industries continue to operate with only normal testing that's available. The NHL will test everyone 3-4 times per week and if anyone catches COVID  they will know sooner than anyone that has to go through the regular process. That means that anyone with the NHL can be isolated far quicker than people in the general population. Yet, it's a no go. Very disappointed.

Edited by RWMc1

My guess that the Canucks have a home to play this season in Vancouver.  Restriction will be lifted on January 6th and I think that the NHL and the BC have some agreement else they wouldn't be agreed to have the North division this season.  I think that there'd be a uproar if BC government don't allow for sports to be played.   Canadian-US border closure were sufficient for the fans and now if they ban any pro sports in BC, there'll be uproar against the BC government and voter might not forget this.  They knows how important the Canucks hockey in BC.

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

FFS, how is this clown is allowed to allowed to spam like this? It's bad enough he has single-handedly ruined the corona virus thread and now he's throwing his poo around on hockey threads as well. 

Garbage.

its cuz he is royalty

not get down on your knees and bow to the king

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

My guess that the Canucks have a home to play this season in Vancouver.  Restriction will be lifted on January 6th and I think that the NHL and the BC have some agreement else they wouldn't be agreed to have the North division this season.  I think that there'd be a uproar if BC government don't allow for sports to be played.   Canadian-US border closure were sufficient for the fans and now if they ban any pro sports in BC, there'll be uproar against the BC government and voter might not forget this.  They knows how important the Canucks hockey in BC.

If fans aren't allowed in anyway what difference does it make where the game as played from a fan's perspective?

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This part really doesn't make sense to me either.

As long as people from Alberta keep streaming in and planes land and people head off not sure why hockey players can't find a way to safely do this here.  I mean, their track record is pretty good in how responsibly they take it all.  The measures they take to protect their people can't be denied...I mean, these are top tier athletes who have shown the ability to "screen" and take precautionary measures.  Makes no sense to me.

I vote Deb spearhead the "NHL is better than Bonnie" campaign

I'd like to see you go toe to toe at Bonnie's next news brief

we can all pitch in for a nice pair of Fluvogs for ya

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 2

The canadian division might look tough on paper but if the Nucks are a serious playoff team Ottawa and Montreal should be beaten most nights, so in reality we only need to edge out one of the other teams. Another thing that stands out to me is that the seedings probably won't matter that much, as long as you get into the playoffs anything's possible.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, mll said:

The fact that they’re spending any significant time on this when they’ve failed to protect areas where actual spread is happening is what gets me.

The NHL has the know how and resources to protect their players and the public.

Just don’t like that the standards keep changing.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If fans aren't allowed in anyway what difference does it make where the game as played from a fan's perspective?

It does make a difference, they will think, if other province can, we can't kind of mentality will effect for BCers.