The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It seems like it would be a disadvantage to our team if they had to play in another city they’re not familiar with.

A lot of families will need to be uprooted or left behind. Meaning they’d essentially be playing on the road all season.

That's fair, and I agree on this, although a lot better than the earlier suggestion of moving all Canadian teams to the US for the season.  I'm just not sure enough people in the province will feel the same way for the government to be concerned.

3 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

We wont be able to attend games regardless, no way fuhrer Bonnie and General Dix would allow it, while Don Horgan can have family dinner against the rules. 

Anyway I'm just happy to see some positive hockey news! I wonder where the Canucks might play besides Vancouver.

Should be Saskatchewan

Sask Place in Saskatoon would be a nice venue, it could easily host the Canucks. Its been a while since I've been back, but I did go to Blades games there and its pretty decent, like a slightly bigger Pacific Coliseum. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The fact that they’re spending any significant time on this when they’ve failed to protect areas where actual spread is happening is what gets me.

The NHL has the know how and resources to protect their players and the public.

Just don’t like that the standards keep changing.

They are moving the goalpost when differing their standard.  The original intent of the shutdown was to flatten the curve and they have not lifted the restrictions ever since that day even after flattening the curve. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair, and I agree on this, although a lot better than the earlier suggestion of moving all Canadian teams to the US for the season.  I'm just not sure enough people in the province will feel the same way for the government to be concerned.

If the North is moved to US, they would be able to travel a bit easier and have their games in one location where expenses are cheaper to a state that has no state taxes would be logic move.  

3 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

We wont be able to attend games regardless, no way fuhrer Bonnie and General Dix would allow it, while Don Horgan can have family dinner against the rules. 

Anyway I'm just happy to see some positive hockey news! I wonder where the Canucks might play besides Vancouver.

Should be Saskatchewan

It has to be an NHL arena.

At this rate if B.C., Ontario, and Quebec don’t sign off, games will have to be played in Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg.

Will make the schedule makers job tricky.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It has to be an NHL arena.

At this rate if B.C., Ontario, and Quebec don’t sign off, games will have to be played in Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg.

Will make the schedule makers job tricky.

Calgary, Winnipeg, everyone else in Edmonton.  

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

So how will the playoffs work?

I’m gonna assume they’re playing that by ear.

Maybe they’re hoping things will be under control then.

All that I’ve seen is that the top 4 teams in each division make it. No Wildcard spots.

9 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If the North is moved to US, they would be able to travel a bit easier and have their games in one location where expenses are cheaper to a state that has no state taxes would be logic move.  

Players would be completely cut off from their families and forced to play in a biohazardous wasteland though.  No chance the NHLPA would sign off on that.

28 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

My guess that the Canucks have a home to play this season in Vancouver.  Restriction will be lifted on January 6th and I think that the NHL and the BC have some agreement else they wouldn't be agreed to have the North division this season.  I think that there'd be a uproar if BC government don't allow for sports to be played.   Canadian-US border closure were sufficient for the fans and now if they ban any pro sports in BC, there'll be uproar against the BC government and voter might not forget this.  They knows how important the Canucks hockey in BC.

I won't be suprised to see a big jump in cases count starting around January6-8, given what I see around.So, I don't think restriction will be lifted.