The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Your men's team really provides no assurance that they've quarantined beforehand and tested (as players likely will be).  

Hey look, I work in a school so none of it makes sense.  But I get that some "groups" and events are safer than others.  Transmission was happening in those that go unchecked.  People's homes, where they felt no need to social distance or wear masks.  Private gatherings and events.  If you think the NHL is going to allow their assets to be reckless, you're likely wrong.  I'm sure that strict protocol will be part of it and their previous track record speaks volumes in how seriously they take it all.

I can't deny that what you're saying is right....pick a side, all or nothing.  But there ARE people still:  shopping, working, skiing, etc.  So I'd really understand if hockey teams play in a rink where things will likely be fairly strictly monitored...probably more so than I do a lot of the other stuff that's happening.

Understood but as you can see by the world juniors, all the precautions they have taken haven't haven't help stop cases.

These players are going to go about their regular lives just like you and me and then they will be travelling and playing games. They are not going to be quarantining the whole season.

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Understood but as you can see by the world juniors, all the precautions they have taken haven't haven't help stop cases.

These players are going to go about their regular lives just like you and me and then they will be travelling and playing games. They are not going to be quarantining the whole season.

Hey....didn't you just travel to BC a month or two ago?  So I guess it should be ok then, right?

I was just in BC last weekend. Came from Calgary. The lack of masks out there compared to here is baffling.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

&^@# the Flames, OIlers, Leafs, Jets, Canadiens and Senators. There are no longer friends/allies inside the border. It is Canucks or no body. This is like the Hunger Games, &^@# everyone else, GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hey....didn't you just travel to BC a month or two ago?  So I guess it should be ok then, right?

I drove 3 hours with my two family members to a cabin in Invermere. Only public interactions were a grocery and liquor shop. Also during a time when cases were very low. We canceled our trip to the cabin this holiday season to be safe and help the cause. 

My point is the hypocrisy. I could care less if the teams play.  Just wondering why some berate the PHO for being too lenient but want different rules for the NHL. Just my two cents. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
NHL teams have started receiving drafts of their 2021 regular-season schedule: It sounds like they're generally grouped in two-game segments against the same opponent, although there's also some three-gamers and I've heard of at least one instance of a four-gamer (!)

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

I drove 3 hours with my two family members to a cabin in Invermere. Only public interactions were a grocery and liquor shop. Also during a time when cases were very low. We canceled our trip to the cabin this holiday season to be safe and help the cause. 

My point is the hypocrisy. I could care less if the teams play.  Just wondering why some berate the PHO for being too lenient but want different rules for the NHL. Just my two cents. 

My point is the hypocrisy.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Easy Deb. It's not KOS here. ;)

Just responding, that's all.

I'd rather have the NHL come to BC in a very regulated deal when they've already proven, in the past, that they can manage it well than....people from Alberta driving over and hitting up the small local liquour stores and shops in something quite different.

Cases were NOT low in Alberta in September....this was from September 20/20...the weekend of the roadtrip:

• Alberta is starting to see a similar case load to Ontario and Quebec, which concerns experts because it has a much lower population. The number of new cases daily have gone up by about 55 per cent in the last month and the province is facing widespread community transmission.

So if someone comes in here to argue a point they should at least come prepared.  I find it odd that someone from Alberta who felt it was ok for them to travel here  with family is challenging our support of our team staying here at home to play.  Seems like a bit of a double standard, that's all.

This actually helps make my point....which is....if others are allowed to fly in.  Drive over.  Ski.  Head to a cabin in the woods and shop in the local shops on the way.  Why can't my team play here at home?

I'd prefer if there were no exceptions but that isn't the case.  So if we're going to allow any of it, makes no sense to draw the line at hockey.  When that organization has been stellar in managing things extremely safely just months ago.  I question the reasoning behind that pick and choose deal.

No disrespect meant to the poster who brought this into challenge (at all).  But they may be part of the problem not the solution in this if they're not including self in what they're suggesting for others.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I’d expect that Vancouver plays EDM and Vancouver-lite ha ha, one more game each to make up for it.   We can beat those bums.  Personally I’m stoked we can create some rivalries with these guys ... my personal favourite had always been against Calgary 89-95...when the Alberta Battle simmered down... we were right there to pick up where it left off.   Also still have some old hate against WNP...thankfully Keith’s son now plays in Calgary ... hope we beat that smug smile right off his face. 

I think you're right.

In addition, I think the Canadian Division will be split:

West: Vcr/Cgy/Edm  and, East: Wnp/Tor/Ott/Mont.

So I think Vancouver's 'makeup' games will be against Edm and Cgy (and Calgary's: Edm & Vcr; and Edmonton's: Vcr & Cgy).

(The east can go play with themselves; bunch of wankers, pajama and underwear freaks anyway.)

After the 'regular' season, we only have to be ahead of one Alberta team, and we are In.

Beat the other Alberta team and the Eastern champion and we will be the only Canadian team to play an American team this season and playoffs.

All this assumes we have a 3 team Western Canadian Conference.

Lots of good news today with Canucks coming back to Vancouver etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just responding, that's all.

I'd rather have the NHL come to BC in a very regulated deal when they've already proven, in the past, that they can manage it well than....people from Alberta driving over and hitting up the small local liquour stores and shops in something quite different.

Cases were NOT low in Alberta in September....this was from September 20/20...the weekend of the roadtrip:

So if someone comes in here to argue a point they should at least come prepared.  I find it odd that someone from Alberta who felt it was ok for them to travel here  with family is challenging our support of our team staying here at home to play.  Seems like a bit of a double standard, that's all.

This actually helps make my point....which is....if others are allowed to fly in.  Drive over.  Ski.  Head to a cabin in the woods and shop in the local shops on the way.  Why can't my team play here at home?

I'd prefer if there were no exceptions but that isn't the case.  So if we're going to allow any of it, makes no sense to draw the line at hockey.  When that organization has been stellar in managing things extremely safely just months ago.  I question the reasoning behind that pick and choose deal.

No disrespect meant to the poster who brought this into challenge (at all).  But they may be part of the problem not the solution in this if they're not including self in what they're suggesting for others.

It’s a fair statement that a lot of Albertans that work in the oil industry and make/have made a lot of money own homes in BC, and that even more vacation regularly - all the way to Vancouver Island.   Most of my family still lives there, Kootenays, Okanagon, Vancouver, and the Island.. not to be dramatic but most of the ones I’ve talked to have taken note and how many Albertan plates they still see throughout this pandemic, including may long weekend when it wasn’t supposed to happen....Tourism is truly a major part of the BC economy, and a lot of that is driven from the Albertan neighbour’s.   I can see how this is a problem.   

Alberta didn’t properly apply social distancing and masks ... sure BC has its own issues with unclear and preserved bias (we have that here too in ONT, but at least Ford has the balls to be clear about it and shut things down - fine the crap out of folks not following the rules). 

Vancouver as of right now is definitely a safer environment to play games.  The NHL has quite the challenge ahead and I hope that the provinces allow whatever their proposal is.  

• Vintage 1

I think the biggest loser of the realignment this year and the lack of Wild Card is the East division.

Looking at the teams in that division you have a lot of good teams and a few will miss out. 

Bruins, Islanders, Flyers, Penguins, Caps are all great or very good teams and one will miss out. And even the Rangers could have been a spoiler this season.

Where as other divisions it looks like an average or weak team can sneak in the playoffs, specifically the West Division.  

55 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

For someone who could care less, you seem to post an awful lot in a thread dedicated to teams playing...

You know, you're probably right. Been thinking for a while now that I probably spend too much time on here. I also probably don't add much to the conversation other than snarky replies to things. ::D The "conversation" with Deb today was probably a good reminder that I need to split. 

Enjoyed the friendly conversations I have had from time to time but as REO Speedwagon once said, "it's time for me to fly"

Mod's, feel free to delete my account.

As much as I like the idea of a Canadian division this year, things better get back to a regular formation next year. Our franchise has been waiting for years to have a true rivalry, and we’ll finally have Seattle next year to play against.

• Vintage 1

Dr. Bonnie was just asked in her briefing what she needs to see from the NHL/Canucks to approve a plan to play?

She said the proposal was much different than the previous/bubble one and so they have to look it over.  Mentioned that they do have a proven record and they'll consider that.

Adrian Dix chimed in to say they had to be fair to all groups/sports and people are making huge sacrifices.  The Canucks have made a huge commitment in that but it'll take some time for them to go over it and respond.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Dr. Bonnie was just asked in her briefing what she needs to see from the NHL/Canucks to approve a plan to play?

She said the proposal was much different than the previous/bubble one and so they have to look it over.  Mentioned that they do have a proven record and they'll consider that.

Adrian Dix chimed in to say they had to be fair to all groups/sports and people are making huge sacrifices.  The Canucks have made a huge commitment in that but it'll take some time for them to go over it and respond.

As well, Dr Henry said they are still in talks with Health officials in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta as well. So, does this mean that none of the Provinces have given the NHL the green light? I just got on board with this conversation, so if this has been clarified before, sorry!

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

As well, Dr Henry said they are still in talks with Health officials in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta as well. So, does this mean that none of the Provinces have given the NHL the green light? I just got on board with this conversation, so if this has been clarified before, sorry!

Not sure....missed some of it too.