The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, cory40 said:

There is already a deadlier strain that the vaccine won't touch.

Really? I have heard that there is a new strain that is more contagious, but I have not heard that it is more deadly or that the vaccines don't work for it. Could you please include your source for this information?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Genetic drift and natural selection tends to making viruses more virulent (infective) and less deadly.  Just makes sense when your purpose is to reproduce yourself.

The UK strain doesn't have appeared to have changed the spike protein in a way that should significantly reduce vaccine efficacy.

There are also many more vaccines in development/testing.  I believe Canada was participating in 14 different trials.  Even if one doesn't work there are a number of candidates that probably would.

Rapid uptake of an effective vaccine would be the best way to minimize the chance for further genetic drift.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

We don't know yet if you can spread COVID as an asymptomatic carrier after receiving the vaccine.

How in the world are we ever going to get back to normal life with this as a concern? 

I still have a hard time believing that we were never this scared of influenza, and I bet tons of people who never get the influenza vaccine would now be first in line to get the COVID vaccine. The fact that this has taken up so much of our attention has led people to a complete different sense of fear with regards to disease transmission. Some warranted, for sure, but concerns like being an asymptomatic carrier after receiving the vaccine? How are you even supposed to prove that? 

And for the record, no vaccine is 100% effective, especially for something as easily transmissible and susceptible to mutations as coronaviruses. These viruses have always existed - chances are the common cold you get every so often is caused by some strain of coronavirus. To get to this point though, I mean.. we will legitimately never get back to normal life then. 

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I know that it inevitably gets brought up with discussing the return of the NHL, but please try to keep coronavirus discussion to the coronavirus thread. Not everyone cares to read people arguing about the virus, vaccines, etc.

And the very next post is:          

8 minutes ago, Hectic said:

How in the world are we ever going to get back to normal life with this as a concern? 

I still have a hard time believing that we were never this scared of influenza, and I bet tons of people who never get the influenza vaccine would now be first in line to get the COVID vaccine. The fact that this has taken up so much of our attention has led people to a complete different sense of fear with regards to disease transmission. Some warranted, for sure, but concerns like being an asymptomatic carrier after receiving the vaccine? How are you even supposed to prove that? 

And for the record, no vaccine is 100% effective, especially for something as easily transmissible and susceptible to mutations as coronaviruses. These viruses have always existed - chances are the common cold you get every so often is caused by some strain of coronavirus. To get to this point though, I mean.. we will legitimately never get back to normal life then. 

18 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

if a player opts out does his contract still affect the cap

No.  His contract would be removed from the books for the season. The deadline to opt out was yesterday.

Nelson was on a two-way deal 700K/160K.  His contract could have been fully buried in the AHL if he didn’t opt out.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

No.  His contract would be removed from the books for the season. The deadline to opt out was yesterday.

Nelson was on a two-way deal 700K/160K.  His contract could have been fully buried in the AHL if he didn’t opt out.

why erkkson why

• Haha 1