NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So just to put another variable into this mess

Did anyone hear on yesterdays radio sports talk

The suggestion, that the NHl may buy covid vaccine for their players

and have them all vaccinated early?

I can't remember which station, as I was jumping back and forth

But it would change the senario again.......

The question came up about how fans would feel about athletes getting vaccinated first

Hmm........??????

The actual news story was that the NHL said that they would consider vaccinating all of their players after the people that need the vaccine have received it first if it should be made available privately. Not that the players would get it first before everyone else.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

The actual news story was that the NHL said that they would consider vaccinating all of their players after the people that need the vaccine have received it first if it should be made available privately. Not that the players would get it first before everyone else.

Thanks for the whole thing........I actually did hear that

Just for the record.......I did not say, they would get it first, as I did understand it the way you stated it......

But  thanks for the clarification 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just for the record.......I did not say, they would get it first, as I did understand it the way you stated it......

I don't Janis, in ways I wish they did get first priority(ish) so the rest of the people who are into a sport like hockey and would find it a fine distraction from the other negatives about covid that include going stir crazy at home... actually I've heard a lot of people started going out more because they couldn't stand being at home anymore with nothing to do, return of hockey wouldn't solve it all but it would help I'm sure, for some anyway.. 

Today is my birthday and normally I'm going out after finding some hockey to watch, not this year.. ugh lol oh well, anyway hopefully it'll happen on the 13th!!

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

The question came up about how fans would feel about athletes getting vaccinated first

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry. That’s what I read in your post. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I don't Janis, in ways I wish they did get first priority(ish) so the rest of the people who are into a sport like hockey and would find it a fine distraction from the other negatives about covid that include going stir crazy at home... actually I've heard a lot of people started going out more because they couldn't stand being at home anymore with nothing to do, return of hockey wouldn't solve it all but it would help I'm sure, for some anyway.. 

Today is my birthday and normally I'm going out after finding some hockey to watch, not this year.. ugh lol oh well, anyway hopefully it'll happen on the 13th!!

Well, first things first...........Happy Birthday brother! And many more!

I could not agree more.........

It is just not that many people anyways....say 50 X 7 teams in Canada

I would agree that it would be a good investment in everybody's sanity

since my hockey has been closed down, we have been hiking

I actually did not know there were so many great spots to hike

Today, we hiked to a water fall that I did not know existed, I did not even know the damn creek existed

2 hours of fresh air and some good old fashion BS

And all we talked about was hockey...lol (It is in our blood!)

But everyone to a man, said they were missing hockey

Point being, we need distractions, just like you inferred

I am not against those vaccine shots for the NHL, but I think many would be

Believe it or not......but not everyone loves hockey! LOL

It's true!

Me, I had to walk with a guy wearing a Montreal Canadiens jacket on

It gave us many moments of banter, which not everyone would understand

But, yeah........I would yes!

Cheers, and Happy Birthday, again!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So just to put another variable into this mess

Did anyone hear on yesterdays radio sports talk

The suggestion, that the NHl may buy covid vaccine for their players

and have them all vaccinated early?

I can't remember which station, as I was jumping back and forth

But it would change the senario again.......

Hmm........??????

I’d be fine with them being part of the entitled class that gets it early (after those that need it do first as you clarified ).... at least they’d be helping us get our hockey fix, and rather them then the average gazillionaire/sheik or whomever, the exchange would be at least something for us.   Won’t kid myself, I’m sure even in Canada some folks will pay major money to get it done privately - as soon as they can.   The US elite of course even more so. 

Edit:  That said will keep you posted ... know quite a few folks that need it first ... will be a little peeved if it’s months later for them ... a week or two?  Well for sure it will blend a little 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I’d be fine with them being part of the entitled class that gets it early (after those that need it do first as you clarified ).... at least they’d be helping us get our hockey fix, and rather them then the average gazillionaire/sheik or whomever, the exchange would be at least something for us.   Won’t kid myself, I’m sure even in Canada some folks will pay major money to get it done privately - as soon as they can.   The US elite of course even more so. 

Edit:  That said will keep you posted ... know quite a few folks that need it first ... will be a little peeved if it’s months later for them ... a week or two?  Well for sure it will blend a little 

Honestly because of a health issue if I get a vaccine it would be and I'm thankful for this, would be the second one, the moderna one.. thankfully I may add BUT there's a double reason for that, first I don't trust Pfizer as far as I could throw it.. would rather see how people deal with it as in side effects, especially after their 4.5 billion dollar law suit and their steering it off and calling a drug by a new name gabapentin and selling it to vets to administer it to pets and has been known to be fatal for some. I hate Pfizer for that and I wish a better company got the contract instead of them and it'd piss me off and scare me at the same time if I had to take a drug manufactured by them, I hope moderna has a better record but I don't trust the pharmaceutical companies that produce drugs with worse side effects that what it's supposed to help.. you have seen the ads no doubt, and especially the one about may cause depression and suicidal thoughts, internal bleeding, brain hemorrhages blahs blah blah, geez, makes you want to go kiss someone with covid and take my chances but at least being and average schmoe, and good for the rest of us average folk will have some time to see if there are side effects..  paranoid? Nah just cautious... 

Friedman in his 31 thoughts podcast explained that owners are having cash flow issues.  The NHLPA was willing to defer money in exchange of either increasing the cap by 500K - owners turned that down.   Another proposal was to allow for compliance buyouts but outside of revenue sharing so that players aren't paying for it - owners turned that down too.  So the CBA is staying as is.

The salary cap could stay flat for the whole length of the CBA (6 years + automatic 1 year extension if the players still owe money back which will likely be the case). 

Friedman's sources say that by the end of the season players will owe the league over 1 billion.  They are taking back a far too large portion of the revenue pie by limiting escrow to 20%.  Players basically digging their heals that future generation of players pay the debt that they have incurred due to the pandemic by refusing to adjust escrow.  The 28 year old + will likely be retired or close to it in 7 years when the CBA is up and it's the players active then that will have to still continue paying that money back.  Owners are already worried that 7 years down the road, when they have to negotiate a new CBA, that the NHLPA looks to waive that debt.  

He mentioned that there is a key player on a good team that could decide to retire rather than play this season.  There will apparently be an option to opt out.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Today, we hiked to a water fall that I did not know existed, I did not even know the damn creek existed

It's true!

Thanks, turned out to be a fun-ish bday, thank you for that btw, oh and I shamefully semi sorta admit BUT there's a reason for it, found a brand new oiler's classic jersey and it's in my closet BUT I bought it to sell it, paid 19$ for it at an auction but if my friends knew they'd razz me about and ask me if I had no shame but hey, I'll double my money on it lmao! shame on me then, I don't wear one and make millions after all.. ;) meh.. shrugs.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

It's true!

On a more serious note, what made me say we actually do need more distractions even if it's a sport, a conversation happened the other day, that since covid, violent spousal abuse has risen 56% since covid, can't remember if it was provincial, federal, or what but is something that starts something almost worse than covid that one cannot be cured with a vaccine shot, ptsd is something most people never truly recover from so in my mind, ANY distraction if it helps, is worth it.. no question.. is it deadly?  certainly! ptsd can and often does lead to sever depression to suicide.. so yes it can be fatal as well.. So at the end of the day, in the middle of it all, a sport, these days, is more than a sport.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman in his 31 thoughts podcast explained that owners are having cash flow issues.  The NHLPA was willing to defer money in exchange of either increasing the cap by 500K - owners turned that down.   Another proposal was to allow for compliance buyouts but outside of revenue sharing so that players aren't paying for it - owners turned that down too.  So the CBA is staying as is.

The salary cap could stay flat for the whole length of the CBA (6 years + automatic 1 year extension if the players still owe money back which will likely be the case). 

Friedman's sources say that by the end of the season players will owe the league over 1 billion.  They are taking back a far too large portion of the revenue pie by limiting escrow to 20%.  Players basically digging their heals that future generation of players pay the debt that they have incurred due to the pandemic by refusing to adjust escrow.  The 28 year old + will likely be retired or close to it in 7 years when the CBA is up and it's the players active then that will have to still continue paying that money back.  Owners are already worried that 7 years down the road, when they have to negotiate a new CBA, that the NHLPA looks to waive that debt.  

He mentioned that there is a key player on a good team that could decide to retire rather than play this season.  There will apparently be an option to opt out.

Have said it a couple times too - with escrow capped at 20%, and Bettman saying that 2/3 of wages will be owed back this year - how the older players (like LE, Okposo, Ladd etc) or ones soon to be retired will end up leaving their debts on the future NHLPA guys.   It won’t happen in 6-7 years, it will starting happening as soon as this season, and gradually amp up.   The NHLPA has to consider this stuff - and the fact the owners are hemorrhaging money - cash flow issues.    Bettman also stated to be clear that revenues are split 50/50.   To me it’s a little short sighted and greedy  that the NHLPA isn’t offering better alternative’s, so far the league has done everything they possibly can to keep them employed. 

Edit:  On the key player - wonder if it’s Malkin.   It’s got to be an older player from Europe/Russia.   Doubt it’s Ovi given how much he’s said he’d like to finish his contract and stay in WSH after for a bit anyways.   Good team...hmmm.   

Edited by IBatch

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Have said it a couple times too - with escrow capped at 20%, and Bettman saying that 2/3 of wages will be owed back this year - how the older players (like LE, Okposo, Ladd etc) or ones soon to be retired will end up leaving their debts on the future NHLPA guys.   It won’t happen in 6-7 years, it will starting happening as soon as this season, and gradually amp up.   The NHLPA has to consider this stuff - and the fact the owners are hemorrhaging money - cash flow issues.    Bettman also stated to be clear that revenues are split 50/50.   To me it’s a little short sighted and greedy  that the NHLPA isn’t offering better alternative’s, so far the league has done everything they possibly can to keep them employed. 

Edit:  On the key player - wonder if it’s Malkin.   It’s got to be an older player from Europe/Russia.   Doubt it’s Ovi given how much he’s said he’d like to finish his contract and stay in WSH after for a bit anyways.   Good team...hmmm.   

Escrow has been agreed for the next 7 years as part of the CBA MOU.  The players categorically refused to adjust the rates.  Escrow is on a decreasing scale and will be down to 6% starting in 2022/23.  Owners tried to increase that 6% rate to 9% but that was rejected by the players.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Escrow has been agreed for the next 7 years as part of the CBA MOU.  The players categorically refused to adjust the rates.  Escrow is on a decreasing scale and will be down to 6% starting in 2022/23.  Owners tried to increase that 6% rate to 9% but that was rejected by the players.  

Yep.   Pandemic is also in the CBA, and if the players get too greedy the league can opt for closure and players won’t see a dime.   

Edited by IBatch

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Pandemic is also in the CBA, and if the players get too greedy the league can opt for closure and players won’t see a dime.   

The NHL does not want to shutdown as it would damage the league too much.  When they were stuck on the financials earlier, the NHLPA investigated their recourse in case the NHL decided to shut the league down.  It would get ugly and both sides don't want to go there.   

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

The NHL does not want to shutdown as it would damage the league too much.  When they were stuck on the financials earlier, the NHLPA investigated their recourse in case the NHL decided to shut the league down.  It would get ugly and both sides don't want to go there.   

Absolutely.  Long term affects for sure would be worse if they had to shut down on the brand as a whole.   That said the players have to buck up and help out - getting paid without producing anything (or partial production) is a big ask - and that’s exactly what’s been happening all along.    And it creates complications like the one you brought up with Friedman, the exact same thing I’ve posted on several times over the past several weeks with escrow being set at 20%.  We are talking about the same thing.  All I’m trying to communicate is the players need to be more flexible - and work harder with the owners for a more equitable solution they won’t put too much financial stress on the owners shoulders - and in that is more fair for their own union.   Like I said guys like LE, Ladd and Okpsoso - and many others, won’t be around to pay back their portions of the 50/50 split, and get away with more then their share.  

Escrow at 20% is a huge gift to the players.   They will have more money or cash in hand early, maximizing their own personal future earnings (finance), while the owners suck it up and suffer through it.   I’m not particularly upset about this, it’s billionaires vs millionaires sort of deal - but for sure the players ended up in the cat-bird seat and been treated more then fairly.    The only thing that would upset me is if they take the money and don’t deliver - as in actually play the game.   Covid could determine all of this.   But the CBA is clear - 50/50 split.   If I was still in business and did that with my staff - I’d expect they’d deliver.  

Edit:  Again - the NHL - from Bettmans own mouth, project at best that the players will owe the owners 2/3 of their pay next season.   Ideal scene.  That’s the 56ish game Canadian division model.    The burden of debt will for sure end up on our young core for the most part. 

Edited by IBatch

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Thanks, turned out to be a fun-ish bday, thank you for that btw, oh and I shamefully semi sorta admit BUT there's a reason for it, found a brand new oiler's classic jersey and it's in my closet BUT I bought it to sell it, paid 19$ for it at an auction but if my friends knew they'd razz me about and ask me if I had no shame but hey, I'll double my money on it lmao! shame on me then, I don't wear one and make millions after all.. ;) meh.. shrugs.. 

So, my son lives in Prince Rupert with his family. He also has a good friend that lives there with his family. My Grand son, who is 3 1/2 is skating (pretty well, actually), and so my son's friend knows that my son and I are Canuck fans, so my son's friend went and gave my Grand son an OILER jersey, which fits him too a tee, so 3 times a week, my Grand son, puts on the jersey and goes skating.......my son says he looks pretty cute wearing it, and has never told him that he hates it. My sons friend says when he out grows it, he can pass it down yo my Grand Daughter, Says to my son, he'll buy another Oiler jersey for him........my son says his friend is so happy and there is great debate and laughter over his gift.

I am ok with that. LOL

54 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Long term affects for sure would be worse if they had to shut down on the brand as a whole.   That said the players have to buck up and help out - getting paid without producing anything (or partial production) is a big ask - and that’s exactly what’s been happening all along.    And it creates complications like the one you brought up with Friedman, the exact same thing I’ve posted on several times over the past several weeks with escrow being set at 20%.  We are talking about the same thing.  All I’m trying to communicate is the players need to be more flexible - and work harder with the owners for a more equitable solution they won’t put too much financial stress on the owners shoulders - and in that is more fair for their own union.   Like I said guys like LE, Ladd and Okpsoso - and many others, won’t be around to pay back their portions of the 50/50 split, and get away with more then their share.  

Escrow at 20% is a huge gift to the players.   They will have more money or cash in hand early, maximizing their own personal future earnings (finance), while the owners suck it up and suffer through it.   I’m not particularly upset about this, it’s billionaires vs millionaires sort of deal - but for sure the players ended up in the cat-bird seat and been treated more then fairly.    The only thing that would upset me is if they take the money and don’t deliver - as in actually play the game.   Covid could determine all of this.   But the CBA is clear - 50/50 split.   If I was still in business and did that with my staff - I’d expect they’d deliver.  

Edit:  Again - the NHL - from Bettmans own mouth, project at best that the players will owe the owners 2/3 of their pay next season.   Ideal scene.  That’s the 56ish game Canadian division model.    The burden of debt will for sure end up on our young core for the most part. 

The NHLPA and NHL were at a stalemate because the owners wanted to renegotiate the financials and escrow.  The players categorically refused.  They have now agreed to keep the CBA MOU as is - there's no renegotiation of escrow.   In 7 years, once the CBA MOU is up, they will have to negotiate how to settle the players' debt to the owners.

Edited by mll