The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

Marner on Tim and Sid said the Canucks were a western team he was most interested in playing more in the Canadian division. Said we're a lot like them. Minus the whole getting bounced in the first round stuff :bigblush: Sorry, I had to take the shot. But it was nice to get a shoutout. I am that typical Canucks fan that feels we don't get enough love/media talk from outside BC. 

• Cheers 3

On 12/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If teams can only play against teams within their own division, I am going to put an astrix next to this season. The alignment is unfair. I understand it is what it is due to COVID, but seeing teams like Minnesota, Florida potentially making the playoffs and teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Rangers or Islanders could end up missing is just dumb. No matter who wins the cup (even if it is the Canucks), I would consider this season with an astrix. Last season is more legit.

• Wat 2

21 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If teams can only play against teams within their own division, I am going to put an astrix next to this season. The alignment is unfair. I understand it is what it is due to COVID, but seeing teams like Minnesota, Florida potentially making the playoffs and teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Rangers or Islanders could end up missing is just dumb. No matter who wins the cup (even if it is the Canucks), I would consider this season with an astrix. Last season is more legit.

Good teams miss almost every year due to the divisions.

Sure, the division with the New Yorks looks tough, but it's nearly the same as the Metro. Just swap Boston and Buffalo with Carolina and Columbus.

I'd argue that the standard Metro would have been stronger.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Good teams miss almost every year due to the divisions.

Sure, the division with the New Yorks looks tough, but it's nearly the same as the Metro. Just swap Boston and Buffalo with Carolina and Columbus.

I'd argue that the standard Metro would have been stronger.

In the past teams can still play inter division and conference games atleast they get a chance to play the weaker teams. However, this year, they will only be playing their own division it looks like. It isn't even a normal schedule. Either way, I will not consider this season legit. I will still watch because it is hockey, but i can't wait til 2021-22 season already.

5 hours ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

So I am in the states, and my main media outlet is NHL Network. Trust me the boys get tons of love down here. They have been pumping TG's tires and all our kids for the last couple years.

Gotta move my ass to the States. Well, maybe not. But it's definitely nice to hear someone somewhere is talking about us. Lol. I really like the kids on our squad. Talent and character in equal measure.

11 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

A lot of people were skeptical about the playoffs in the bubble and it turned out excellent.

I'm sure they will figure something out to make it as competitive as possible.

Sure the conferences and divisions will be odd but it's still the best on best fighting for the same goal. 

30 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

A lot of people were skeptical about the playoffs in the bubble and it turned out excellent.

I'm sure they will figure something out to make it as competitive as possible.

Sure the conferences and divisions will be odd but it's still the best on best fighting for the same goal. 

The playoff in the bubble was fantastic. I loved the idea right from the beginning and at the time I said the set up is fair and the Stanley Cup champion does not deserve an astrix next to their championship. The seeding is base on the teams regular season point perctange where teams have played almost everybody in the league in that season.

This set up however, is right from the beginning, you are only going to play against 6 or 7 other teams in a span of 56 games. The division alignment is very unbalance. The record of these teams will be skewed as a result. Colorado and Vegas can run up the score agains the California teams. Meanwhile Tampa can have a field day playing in that division of theirs.

The Canadian Division will be a bloodbath, other than Ottawa, I see 6 teams good enough to make the playoffs if they play in their regular divisions. The division featuring Boston, NYI, NYR, Philly, Pittsburgh and Washington is the most unfair set up I can think of for one division. Chances are only top 4 teams in each division will make the playoffs.

In this set up, I hope they expand the playoffs again so teams in tougher Division atleast have a chance to prove themselves.

6 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

The playoff in the bubble was fantastic. I loved the idea right from the beginning and at the time I said the set up is fair and the Stanley Cup champion does not deserve an astrix next to their championship. The seeding is base on the teams regular season point perctange where teams have played almost everybody in the league in that season.

This set up however, is right from the beginning, you are only going to play against 6 or 7 other teams in a span of 56 games. The division alignment is very unbalance. The record of these teams will be skewed as a result. Colorado and Vegas can run up the score agains the California teams. Meanwhile Tampa can have a field day playing in that division of theirs.

The Canadian Division will be a bloodbath, other than Ottawa, I see 6 teams good enough to make the playoffs if they play in their regular divisions. The division featuring Boston, NYI, NYR, Philly, Pittsburgh and Washington is the most unfair set up I can think of for one division. Chances are only top 4 teams in each division will make the playoffs.

In this set up, I hope they expand the playoffs again so teams in tougher Division atleast have a chance to prove themselves.

All considered this is the best they could do to assure we had hockey.   Even without the border issues, a 56 game season could be considered with an asterisk anyways.     Just look at the Canucks regular routine - hot out the gate, then awful, then good, then awful - and we aren’t the only team that does that some do in inverted too.     It’s whomever gets out there and can get it done regardless.    I’m disappointed given how dreadful our record was last year against Canadian teams.   That said who knows what will happen.   Four teams per division is pretty normal anyways.    Not sure how they will deal with who gets in, maybe by points percentages or maybe one division can get five in like it’s been the past little while (two wild card spots).    But I do think you might be a tad over the top with bad teams getting in and good teams not.   MTL barely made it in and ousted PIT who should of had no business having to play just to see if they could play the first round .... nobody (except PIT fans for sure) seems to mind that last year.    

The players weren’t going to do a bubble again.   Maybe they will for the playoffs who knows.    Also not all of them are even going to play - if Friedman is right at least one marquee guy is opting out (Rask left the bubble too)....no matter how they did this it wasn’t going to be a normal season. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

They will probably do top 2 in each division and then the rest wild card or maybe have more teams make it and have another bubble play in round with top teams receiving a bye.

Because you make a good point about the divisions being lopsided, I dont think they are final though, besides the Canadian division 

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Should we put in an Asterix to all wins prior to 1968 as it was only 6 teams playing at the time (With few exceptions)?

How about 95 and 2013? both 48 game seasons. If I were a Devils fan or a Blackhawks fan, I wouldn't give a sh*t if it was a season with an asterisk. If the Canucks win this year, I would be very happy either way.

• Cheers 4

Hate to break it to people but divisions are never 'fair'. Some are always easier or harder depending on the natural ebb and flow of teams cycling through good and bad rosters.

Not long ago the central was a slaughter house.  As was the Pacific. Now the eastern Conference has swung a lot of that back with TBL, CAR, BOS, PHI etc all being good teams and the Pacific especially has been far easier.

As for the only playing in one division issue...I mean it's a pandemic, you deal with the hand you've been dealt. And who knows, perhaps half way through the season, as more people are vaccinated etc, perhaps we get to open things up a bit. Maybe the border opens and there's some inter divisional play allowed? Hell, maybe fans are even let back in stadiums in some capacity?