The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Booooooo!

I want to buy an ad that says "Ads on players' gear, the boards, and the ice, make the game less enjoyable.  Don't support these businesses."

Ads on players gear are allowing us to see hockey in a pandemic where fans aren't allowed in stadiums.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:48 AM, BoKnows said:

My Canadian Division Power Rankings.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  2. Calgary Flames
  3. Vancouver Canucks
  4. Winnipeg Jets
  5. Edmonton Oilers
  6. Montreal Canadiens
  7. Ottawa Senators

Think you're sleeping on Edmonton and Montreal. Both made some big additions this offseason, without large subtractions (Barrie/Turris, Toffoli/Edmondson/Allen). Whereas Canucks may end up taking a large step back if the goaltenders don't have much improved regular seasons than they did last year. Then again, if they do step up, Schmidt is a huge upgrade on Tanev, and the young guys may improve, so it could easily go the other way too.

Outside of Ottawa at the bottom, who knows how the division will shake out. There isn't any order that would be overly surprising, and there is no clear powerhouse that should run away with the division (as Vegas would if the Pacific stayed together). It's going to be close, and an interesting ride.

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

The difference in the shortfall is negligible; the ruination of the viewing experience continues apace.

Do ads on the boards take away from the experience? Not really, you just get used to them. And those are waaaaay bigger than ads on helmets.

Ads on gear was inevitable. Let's just hope we never get to the "covered in bumper stickers" look of the European leagues.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Think you're sleeping on Edmonton and Montreal. Both made some big additions this offseason, without large subtractions (Barrie/Turris, Toffoli/Edmondson/Allen). Whereas Canucks may end up taking a large step back if the goaltenders don't have much improved regular seasons than they did last year. Then again, if they do step up, Schmidt is a huge upgrade on Tanev, and the young guys may improve, so it could easily go the other way too.

Outside of Ottawa at the bottom, who knows how the division will shake out. There isn't any order that would be overly surprising, and there is no clear powerhouse that should run away with the division (as Vegas would if the Pacific stayed together). It's going to be close, and an interesting ride.

The top 6 is basically a toss up.  Edmontons defence isn't going to be great.  The addition of Barrie won't help that at all.

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

The top 6 is basically a toss up.  Edmontons defence isn't going to be great.  The addition of Barrie won't help that at all.

Maybe not defensively, but he'll be the best PP D-man they've had since Pronger left town. Considering how dealt their PP already was, that's scary.

If it gets even better, then you have to defend McDavid & Draisaitl without taking penalties. And Turris should give them a decent 3rd line (which they haven't had in ages either).

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Do ads on the boards take away from the experience? Not really, you just get used to them. And those are waaaaay bigger than ads on helmets.

Ads on gear was inevitable. Let's just hope we never get to the "covered in bumper stickers" look of the European leagues.

You used to be able to see the puck, and its trajectory, now the ice is getting covered with crap, the boards are electronically lit up like blinding headlights, even the glass.

I think the uniforms should be a bit sacred, and we should keep it to just the NHL, the team, and the player info; that Euro stuff is disgusting.

You can't even find the player's name half the time and the ice looks like finger-painting.

Rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, drop the farting puck already!

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You used to be able to see the puck, and its trajectory, now the ice is getting covered with crap, the boards are electronically lit up like blinding headlights, even the glass.

I think the uniforms should be a bit sacred, and we should keep it to just the NHL, the team, and the player info; that Euro stuff is disgusting.

You can't even find the player's name half the time and the ice looks like finger-painting.

Rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, drop the farting puck already!

Either make changes to progress and gain more league success or fall even further behind the other sports.  Every soccer team pretty much has a sponsor slapped on their chests. Not to hard to get used to at all.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Either make changes to progress and gain more league success or fall even further behind the other sports.  Every soccer team pretty much has a sponsor slapped on their chests. Not to hard to get used to at all.

Soccer is not hockey!

Some sports have enough class to keep the crass advertisers at bay, e.g. MLB unies don't have advertising on them, do they?

What about NFL, and NBA?

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Soccer is not hockey!

Some sports have enough class to keep the crass advertisers at bay, e.g. MLB unies don't have advertising on them, do they?

What about NFL, and NBA?

Not yet but they are blowing the NHL out of the water in terms of financial success. I guess I would say I'd rather watch a couple words on a NHL sweater as compared to not having a league but yeah it would be great if they can scrape by without it.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Soccer is not hockey!

What about NFL, and NBA?

The NFL, NBA and MLB generate significantly more TV revenue.  The NHL is gate driven by comparison and need to find a way to compensate for all those losses.  Friedman was just talking of how players are going to owe the league over 1 billion by the end of this season and that it could well be a flat cap for the next 7 years given the lack of revenue.      

It is a slippery slope.

I doubt we will ever be able to get them to remove them.

So, it is not worth it, in my opinion, to use as an excuse, as a temporary fix to current financial woes.

I do understand (so you can all quit pointing it out to me) that NHL revenue is in serious trouble.

But this bit of revenue is chump change in the big picture; they need to find much greater revenue elsewhere.

And they need to play the games to earn the revenue.

Making the product on the ice and on the TV worse for a few coins is a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, imo.

Just imagine your favorite uniform in one of the other majors, all tarted up with loud advertising.

Oh well, us old farts don't like much about this new world anyway.

Just get the product on the ice and we'll all buck up as we always do.

I am not sure these billionaire owners don't deserve a bit of a wake up call anyway.

If they can afford an NHL franchise, they can afford to do without uniform revenue for a few more months.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

This is short-sighted.

These are not the only 2 options.

What would you suggest as an alternative to recouping revenue?

Can't just expect owners to accept the loss. Especially since it's likely the staff that would suffer the most in terms of reduced hours or being let go.