The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Golden Knights shopping Max Pacioretty

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

In: Pietrangelo

Out: Schmidt and Pacioretty

Hmmm

be easier to trade Fleury but they probably realize they need a good 1-2 punch and its better to keep him...

or the ultimate mind game. make it seems like patches is available to get a team to take Fleury free instead of for a VGK 1st.

• Upvote 1

Pacioretty would make a lot of sense going to Columbus. They need offense and they need to get someone who is on term since they don't exactly attract free agents in that market. They do win and I can see Pacioretty being okay waiving any trade protections he may have to go there. They have 9 mill in cap space and though Dubois is still left to be signed, I think it could be done.

My proposal for CBJ would be Pacioretty  for Riley Nash and picks/prospects. Nash makes 2.75 and expires at the end of the 2021 season. Gives VGK some C depth and someone they can flip. Most importantly for VGK they are freeing up cap space for not only this season but future seasons by not taking term. CBJ takes this deal because Pacioretty is a top line winger that immediately gives Columbus scoring depth and another veteran presence. Could be a good piece alongside Dubois. And with CBJ still being a legit playoff team, I don't think Pacioretty resents or resists a move to CBJ to play alongside guys like Domi, Dubois, Seth Jones, Werenski, etc.

Not sure if it would happen but wouldn't shock me if CBJ takes on Pacioretty much like the Canucks grabbed Nate Schmidt when they had the chance.

6 hours ago, Quantum said:

Pacioretty would make a lot of sense going to Columbus. They need offense and they need to get someone who is on term since they don't exactly attract free agents in that market. They do win and I can see Pacioretty being okay waiving any trade protections he may have to go there. They have 9 mill in cap space and though Dubois is still left to be signed, I think it could be done.

Max only has a 10-team NTC. He’s coming off of 32 goals in a shortened season (37 goal pace), where he played every game and led the team in points. With just 3 years remaining on his contract, I could see teams having interest, although probably not for much of anything in return.

On the flip-side, I can also see why Vegas would consider it. Max was not one of their top producers in the playoffs - he was 9th in team scoring. He also took a few questionable penalties. If they could move his money, they could add a couple cheaper (but solid) depth players, and still have money left over to make a big deadline addition.

7 hours ago, Quantum said:

My proposal for CBJ would be Pacioretty  for Riley Nash and picks/prospects. Nash makes 2.75 and expires at the end of the 2021 season. Gives VGK some C depth and someone they can flip. Most importantly for VGK they are freeing up cap space for not only this season but future seasons by not taking term. CBJ takes this deal because Pacioretty is a top line winger that immediately gives Columbus scoring depth and another veteran presence. Could be a good piece alongside Dubois. And with CBJ still being a legit playoff team, I don't think Pacioretty resents or resists a move to CBJ to play alongside guys like Domi, Dubois, Seth Jones, Werenski, etc.

Not sure if it would happen but wouldn't shock me if CBJ takes on Pacioretty much like the Canucks grabbed Nate Schmidt when they had the chance.

rumours still circulating about Laine to Columbus, thats probably their 1st choice but Paciorety would cost them far less. Benning set the bar for Vegas trades so Patches should go for a 3rd :P

• Haha 1

I wonder if VGK would accept Dubinsky+ for Patches if CBJ retains a bit on Dubinsky?  Dubinsky has a modified NTC and NMC so it might be harder to accomplish, but the $ involved might work for both sides and Dubinsky is a UFA after this season.  If VGK needs a roster player back then it will be a bit more challenging since Dubinsky has had a lot of health issues (but that might allow VGK to place him on LTIR and save even more cap room).  I would suggest Foligno but he's the Captain and I'm pretty sure he is a near perfect player for Torts.  Hard to see them moving Foligno out.

9 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I wonder if VGK would accept Dubinsky+ for Patches if CBJ retains a bit on Dubinsky?  Dubinsky has a modified NTC and NMC so it might be harder to accomplish, but the $ involved might work for both sides and Dubinsky is a UFA after this season.  If VGK needs a roster player back then it will be a bit more challenging since Dubinsky has had a lot of health issues (but that might allow VGK to place him on LTIR and save even more cap room).  I would suggest Foligno but he's the Captain and I'm pretty sure he is a near perfect player for Torts.  Hard to see them moving Foligno out.

no reason for any team to retain. Vegas will be lucky to get picks. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bergevin got hosed on the Drouin/Serg swap.

But the

Domi/Gal

Weber/Subban

Suzuki(& more stuff)/MaxPacc...

are making him look pretty shrewd. Finally Habs are back on the sweet trade-cycle, like back in the 70's & 80's.

Lost Vegans were league-gifted a warehouse full of sweet futures, & they're frittered so much of it away. Nice to see.

Weber/Subban deal for sure he’s looking great on that - and was criticized for it at the start.  Saved cap, Weber always plays against the leagues best and for the most part outplays them...Subban doesn’t do that and hasn’t ever really done that, at least close to the same level.   The only way that trade will bite him in the ass is if he retires early - and in that case it’s NSH that really gets boned.    He’s done a decent job in MTL, but also is a little of a mad hatter.   His draft picks are all over the place.    Don’t forget they ended up with Tatar too...and check out what Vegas paid for his services to Detroit...and he barely played ... so the cost of eight games was a first, a second and a third.  

Then Tatar went to MTL with Suzuki (one of Vegas better prospects) and a second for Patches.   At this point Patches has cost Vegas ... wait for it and sit down first.   

A first.  Two seconds, Tatar and Suzuki.  And now they want to turf one of their best forwards for what in return?   Won’t be anything close to what they are paying for him already.   Mental. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

When Vegas barely beat the Nucks with Demko in net. I knew big changes were coming for Vegas. LOL

The expression of the GM and Owner during the playoffs said it all.

They are pulling a Mike Gillis.   Vegas owned or outplayed everyone including Dallas.   Look at what happened to Tampa Bay a year ago against Columbus.   Did they make major changes as a result?  No.  And good thing they didn’t.  They won this year.   Vegas isn’t being smart right now.   Patches is and has been one of the most complete forwards you can get for a long time with a penchant for scoring goals.   Big body - plays well on both sides of the puck and age hasn’t done anything to his game yet.   Demko did get in their heads.  Not a big deal.   They should be rinsing and repeating.   Can’t believe they got under Stastny’s deal already.   The cost of AP was Stastny (bottom six) and Schmidt for Lehner and AP.   They should be trying to dangle MAF with retention and that’s about it.   If they lose Patches .... well they are done. 

If this was the Canucks I’d be freaking out big time right now.   Vegas has a three or four year window right now.  Stupid knee-jerk reactions to Demko isn’t smart management.   Trading Hodgson was a massive mistake.   He wasn’t ready for first line duty and it ruined his health and his career.   But was an excellent third line C, and the main reason our PP kept it up once the league figured out our first unit (which they did)....AP is a big prize.   But absolutely not worth Schmidt and Patches.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Max only has a 10-team NTC. He’s coming off of 32 goals in a shortened season (37 goal pace), where he played every game and led the team in points. With just 3 years remaining on his contract, I could see teams having interest, although probably not for much of anything in return.

On the flip-side, I can also see why Vegas would consider it. Max was not one of their top producers in the playoffs - he was 9th in team scoring. He also took a few questionable penalties. If they could move his money, they could add a couple cheaper (but solid) depth players, and still have money left over to make a big deadline addition.

Vegas should also be considering that they outplayed every team they were against.  Honestly it was like watching Canada playing the Swiss with Griess in net for our series.   Dallas was a little better but Vegas also outplayed them.   Sometimes the better team doesn’t win. They’ve gone out and made a splash.   Unless the trade comes back with a guy that can score 35-40 goals a year like say Laine - this trade makes no sense at all.   Especially given the overall price they’ve committed to get him.   A first, two seconds, a third, Tatar and Suzuki.   

WNP trading for Stastny made this work for them - same with us trading for Schmidt.    No need at all to throw a grenade into the dressing room.   Stupid.   Check out the names Patches is around and with over the past ten years (top goal scorers)...he’s around 7.    If BB came close to that I’d be over the moon. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Signing deals for term then trading guys isn't a great look for Vegas, how many players will reconsider signing there now? 

This seems like false news to me.   Or maybe there is something else going on behind the scenes... but I have a hard time believing a former long term C for the Habs would be creating locker room issues.   They paid a massive premium for Patches in the first place given the trade tree with Tatar.   Got their man and he did exactly what he’s done in MTL a for the better part of a decade - as in produce.   Maybe he didn’t produce in the playoffs but I sure noticed his ugly mug outplaying the crap of us for seven games.    He’s dangerous.  A big body power forward of the current era.   The only trade that would make any sense for Vegas that I could see is swapping and adding quite a bit for Laine (because of his age).   This whole thing stinks of a false rumour. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This seems like false news to me.   Or maybe there is something else going on behind the scenes... but I have a hard time believing a former long term C for the Habs would be creating locker room issues.   They paid a massive premium for Patches in the first place given the trade tree with Tatar.   Got their man and he did exactly what he’s done in MTL a for the better part of a decade - as in produce.   Maybe he didn’t produce in the playoffs but I sure noticed his ugly mug outplaying the crap of us for seven games.    He’s dangerous.  A big body power forward of the current era.   The only trade that would make any sense for Vegas that I could see is swapping and adding quite a bit for Laine (because of his age).   This whole thing stinks of a false rumour. 

Wasn’t PK Subban traded because of Pacioretty?

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Wasn’t PK Subban traded because of Pacioretty?

No.  He was traded because of appearances more then anything.   Too much personality was the media spin anyways.   Patches had nothing to do with it. 

Why would you think that?  Just curious ... sources please.

Edited by IBatch

Every bit of news that passes, the more I wish we had bitten the bullet early and traded our 1st to get rid of Eriksson (and/or other dead weight).

That cap space could return you players worth more than a 1st round pick now.

We could easily get Cirelli or Cernak plus a decent pick if we were willing to take on one of Killorn/Palat/Johnson.  Either one of those young guys perfectly fits a hole we have.  We could get Pacioretty probably with salary retained for virtually nothing.  Any number of players who would be in the top half of our roster for just taking on their salary.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I saw this coming..

Really.   They filled up their top six with Stone and Patches and paid a big price - but given their outstanding ED navigation, and first year run to the cup could both afford it, and it made a lot of sense.   Patches, like Stone, are two of the most underrated stars of their generations.   Both two-way complete players with a lot more to offer then just offense.   Really a perfect fit for the island of mis-fit toys.    Don’t get me wrong, I now have a healthy hate going on for this club, probably out of envy and how simply unfair their draft was.   That said I don’t disrespect them (yet).   

Patches didn’t disappoint- he is not LE.   He’s a top ten complete player and goal scorer since his first shift in the NHL.   7 I think but go ahead and do some fact checking.   He’s not a huge name like Ovi, McDavid, Stamkos or Crosby.   But all he’s done is get the job done.....even with Chara almost breaking his neck against the stanchion. 

Back to the start:   Whenever you think of “stars” do Patches and Stone even register?   The lack of media attention compared to what they actually deliver is pretty astounding.   Bet Laine get’s a higher radar name recognition.  Bergeron and until two years ago O’Reilly graduated into the top fold too.    Both Stone and Patches make the top fifty NHL players on the ice right now... but they certainly aren’t talked about nearly as much as those around and above (lower ranked)...barely even qualify as stars yet top 50 all position stars.  Guys in the top 100 get more air time including BB. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Every bit os news that passes, the more I wish we had bitten the bullet early and traded our 1st to get rid of Eriksson (and/or other dead weight).

That cap space could return you players worth more than a 1st round pick now.

We could easily get Cirelli or Cernak plus a decent pick if we were willing to take on one of Killorn/Palat/Johnson.  Either one of those young guys perfectly fits a hole we have.  We could get Pacioretty probably with salary retained for virtually nothing.  Any number of players who would be in the top half of our roster for just taking on their salary.

Don’t make get my hope up.  I’d take Patches in a second if we could afford him.   LE is untradeable. Both JB and his agent have kicked 31 tires and nobody wants him.   It’s not even an issue of how many firsts it could cost - nobody wants him so it’s a big fat zero.  

Edit:  At least for now.  New opportunities could arrive a year from now.  Cap issues will continue with TB for the next four years or so and we can pouch some leftovers from them or another team in the future.  JB is one of the only GMs to make the type of savy deals he made with Miller and Schmidt period.   Maybe Detroit did well with Tatar too - on the other side of things (accruing picks) but will have to wait and see how those lottery tickets work out.   As far as adding actual roster players using picks ... JB is looking very good the last two years. 

Edited by IBatch