Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Golden Knights shopping Max Pacioretty


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Every bit os news that passes, the more I wish we had bitten the bullet early and traded our 1st to get rid of Eriksson (and/or other dead weight).

That cap space could return you players worth more than a 1st round pick now.

We could easily get Cirelli or Cernak plus a decent pick if we were willing to take on one of Killorn/Palat/Johnson.  Either one of those young guys perfectly fits a hole we have.  We could get Pacioretty probably with salary retained for virtually nothing.  Any number of players who would be in the top half of our roster for just taking on their salary.

Don’t make get my hope up.  I’d take Patches in a second if we could afford him.   LE is untradeable. Both JB and his agent have kicked 31 tires and nobody wants him.   It’s not even an issue of how many firsts it could cost - nobody wants him so it’s a big fat zero.  
 

Edit:  At least for now.  New opportunities could arrive a year from now.  Cap issues will continue with TB for the next four years or so and we can pouch some leftovers from them or another team in the future.  JB is one of the only GMs to make the type of savy deals he made with Miller and Schmidt period.   Maybe Detroit did well with Tatar too - on the other side of things (accruing picks) but will have to wait and see how those lottery tickets work out.   As far as adding actual roster players using picks ... JB is looking very good the last two years. 

Edited by IBatch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Don’t make get my hope up.  I’d take Patches in a second if we could afford him.   LE is untradeable. Both JB and his agent have kicked 31 tires and nobody wants him.   It’s not even an issue of how many firsts it could cost - nobody wants him so it’s a big fat zero.  

I had posted way back right at the end of our playoff run that we needed to try to exit Eriksson right away before the market was set... expecting that this crunch was going to come.  Some teams got rid of money then, before the trade market completely froze.  Eriksson is untradeable now, but it was almost certainly possible back then, especially with how little actual cash he was owed compared with his cap hit.  We just came out the gate saying we wouldn't trade any 1st or 2nd round picks instead,

Now it seems like we just want to roll the dice for the season and see how it turns out.  It may work OK and we find another kid who can legitimately play... or we could end up with a nightmare if one of our top 4 D or top two centres get hurt long term... or if our goaltending isn't up to rescuing us from a poor defence.

If you want to get your hopes up, dream about Eriksson opting out of playing this season because he won't get paid much in real dollars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

I had posted way back right at the end of our playoff run that we needed to try to exit Eriksson right away before the market was set... expecting that this crunch was going to come.  Some teams got rid of money then, before the trade market completely froze.  Eriksson is untradeable now, but it was almost certainly possible back then, especially with how little actual cash he was owed compared with his cap hit.  We just came out the gate saying we wouldn't trade any 1st or 2nd round picks instead,

Now it seems like we just want to roll the dice for the season and see how it turns out.  It may work OK and we find another kid who can legitimately play... or we could end up with a nightmare if one of our top 4 D or top two centres get hurt long term... or if our goaltending isn't up to rescuing us from a poor defence.

If you want to get your hopes up, dream about Eriksson opting out of playing this season because he won't get paid much in real dollars.

It’s never been “almost certainly possible” to trade LE.    Yes the CDC makes constant threads about this.   Like they are playing NHL video games (the last one I’ve played was in the early 90’s ha ha) ... his contract and the 4 million owed at the end.   He’s never going to “retire” or mutually end the deal.    JB has said just enough on the subject to let those interest that it’s not going to happen.   We are stuck with him.  Wouldn’t a team rather take on a guy like Ladd in NYI first?  Or Okposo in BUFF? At least they’d get a little more in return.   LE has earned his contract - for sure didn’t deliver on it - but has zero reasons to quit hockey.    And the cost to our club to either buy him out (please please please no.   Six years is long enough) or trade him is a complete waste.    Teams don’t win cups since the cap started with their future stars on their elcs.   Their window opens during their second contracts, and is at the widest when they are 27-28 years old.   Ok with the exception of CHI.  They won a cup with Toews on his last year of his ELC.   Nobody else has with their core that young.   Not even Crosby. 
 

Edit: Point is why in the heck should JB trade lets say two firsts and a third to get rid of two years of LE, pick up Johnson just so they can get Cernak? Terrible management.   Just let the team play - gain experience, and take advantage of future markets while these guys are on their second contracts to properly fill holes.   And keep  all your cash and picks and prospects...personally feel if JB plays his cards right he’s in the cat-bird seat.   And can deal with watching LE in the bottom six for two more years absolutely. 
 

Edit:  and just in case you didn’t know, LE’s agent was given the green light to explore any possible trade for LE around that “window” you think easily existed before the market “froze”...and like JB already certainly knows - the market for LE is non-existent.  Could put ten names before LE that would could multiple firsts, A level prospects and a better player, before you finally arrive at LE.   The cost would be absolutely crazy.   What did a 25-30 goal scorer Tatar cost again?  A first, a second and a third.   Try that in reverse. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s never been “almost certainly possible” to trade LE.    Yes the CDC makes constant threads about this.   Like they are playing NHL video games (the last one I’ve played was in the early 90’s ha ha) ... his contract and the 4 million owed at the end.   He’s never going to “retire” or mutually end the deal.    JB has said just enough on the subject to let those interest that it’s not going to happen.   We are stuck with him.  Wouldn’t a team rather take on a guy like Ladd in NYI first?  Or Okposo in BUFF? At least they’d get a little more in return.   LE has earned his contract - for sure didn’t deliver on it - but has zero reasons to quit hockey.    And the cost to our club to either buy him out (please please please no.   Six years is long enough) or trade him is a complete waste.    Teams don’t win cups since the cap started with their future stars on their elcs.   Their window opens during their second contracts, and is at the widest when they are 27-28 years old.   Ok with the exception of CHI.  They won a cup with Toews on his last year of his ELC.   Nobody else has with their core that young.   Not even Crosby. 
 

Edit: Point is why in the heck should JB trade lets say two firsts and a third to get rid of two years of LE, pick up Johnson just so they can get Cernak? Terrible management.   Just let the team play - gain experience, and take advantage of future markets while these guys are on their second contracts to properly fill holes.   And keep  all your cash and picks and prospects...personally feel if JB plays his cards right he’s in the cat-bird seat.   And can deal with watching LE in the bottom six for two more years absolutely. 

McGuire reported a few times Benning was the most active GM on the phones, and we know they did try to make a deal for Loui. Big shocker, it was too expensive.

 

We have Lou this year (assuming he isn't shipped to Utica) and he can be bought out for a reasonable savings next year, finally. Why burn some variation of multiple assets in prospects and picks just for 1 year? makes no sense. 

 

If a team wanted him for a reasonable ask, that's one thing but the teams with cap space have the league by the balls. Detroit e.g., might get a 1st for taking on two solid top 9 players from Tampa. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Now it seems like we just want to roll the dice for the season and see how it turns out.  It may work OK and we find another kid who can legitimately play... or we could end up with a nightmare if one of our top 4 D or top two centres get hurt long term... or if our goaltending isn't up to rescuing us from a poor defence.

If you want to get your hopes up, dream about Eriksson opting out of playing this season because he won't get paid much in real dollars.

For the first part - absolutely. If goaltending falters, with a short season, then maybe this year doesn’t go well. No sense spending big assets to dump Eriksson one year earlier, if this year isn’t one we’ll be contending in. If things go really well though, we can look into something around the trade deadline.

 

As for the 2nd part, that’s a really good point. Eriksson’s salary this year is only $1M. Subtract shortened season, escrow, taxes, etc... he’ll be actually taking home less than half of that. Add in the risks of COVID, and it might not be worth it for him. I wonder if he’ll consider asking not to report, for just this season. Canucks can put him on suspension for the year, and use his cap space elsewhere. Then figure out what to do with the last year of the deal next offseason.

Edited by D-Money
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

No.  He was traded because of appearances more then anything.   Too much personality was the media spin anyways.   Patches had nothing to do with it. 
 

Why would you think that?  Just curious ... sources please.

Nope. Rumours only.

Looks like there was a lot of talks about it but nothing there.

Probably blame it on the French.

 

I just felt bad for Subban he had just given millions of dollars to the Montreal Children’s Hospital...

 

Edited by Me_
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kesler_sedins said:

Yeah the Pacioretty rumors started yesterday

They were already shopping him earlier this off-season - he was one of the names out there as they were trying to create cap space to add Pietrangelo.  They ended up trading Schmidt but were still slightly above the cap.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Max only has a 10-team NTC. He’s coming off of 32 goals in a shortened season (37 goal pace), where he played every game and led the team in points. With just 3 years remaining on his contract, I could see teams having interest, although probably not for much of anything in return.

 

On the flip-side, I can also see why Vegas would consider it. Max was not one of their top producers in the playoffs - he was 9th in team scoring. He also took a few questionable penalties. If they could move his money, they could add a couple cheaper (but solid) depth players, and still have money left over to make a big deadline addition.

Just curious as to why you think he wouldn't return value? 

Nate's deal was an outlier since Vegas couldn't sign Petro until they freed up enough cap to get under the 10% cap overage.

I get cap is at a premium right now but Patches is a top line winger who is excellent defensively. Even in this new cap strapped world his value would be more then what JT got imo. 

Kap got a 1st and the Pens top prospect and I think he is several tiers below Patches. Top players like Patches is worth way more then that to the right team. Panthers possibly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...