The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forbes' list of most valuable NHL franchises.

Rate this topic

Rangers, Maple Leafs lead list of NHL's most valuable franchises

It hasn't been an ordinary time, but some things have remained consistent. For the sixth straight year, the New York Rangers have topped Forbes' list as the NHL's most valuable franchise.

The Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks, and Boston Bruins rounded out the top five. Largely due to lucrative local TV deals (specifically for New York, Toronto, and Montreal), these five teams accounted for nearly a quarter of the league's revenue. Forbes estimates the NHL would have lost $50 million if it weren't for these clubs.

Other teams weren't as fortunate. Outside of the top five, only two teams - the Stanley Cup-winning Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Islanders - didn't receive a negative value change. The Isles actually generated the league's second-lowest revenue, but the incoming Belmont Park Arena (expected to be ready for 2021-22) boosted the club's financial outlook.

Overall, the average team fell 2% - the first decline since 2001. The league's total revenue decreased by 14% and its operating income was down 68%. All of this, of course, is largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

There were actually no changes to the order of the top 15 compared to 2019. Here's the full list:

Rank Team Value Value change
1 New York Rangers $1.65B 0%
2 Toronto Maple Leafs $1.5B 0%
3 Montreal Canadiens $1.34B 0%
4 Chicago Blackhawks $1.085B 0%
5 Boston Bruins $1B 0%
6 Los Angeles Kings $825M -3%
7 Philadelphia Flyers $800M -3%
8 Detroit Red Wings $775M -3%
9 Washington Capitals $750M -3%
10 Vancouver Canucks $725M -2%
11 Pittsburgh Penguins $650M -2%
12 Dallas Stars $575M -4%
13 Vegas Golden Knights $570M -2%
14 Edmonton Oilers $550M -4%
15 New Jersey Devils $530M -4%
16 New York Islanders $520M 0%
17 San Jose Sharks $515M -5%
18 St. Louis Blues $510M -4%
19 Minnesota Wild $500M -2%
20 Calgary Flames $480M -4%
21 Tampa Bay Lightning $470M 0%
22 Colorado Avalanche $465M -2%
23 Anaheim Ducks $460M -4%
24 Carolina Hurricanes $440M -2%
25 Nashville Predators $435M -5%
26 Ottawa Senators $430M -3%
27 Winnipeg Jets $405M -4%
28 Buffalo Sabres $385M -4%
29 Columbus Blue Jackets $310M -5%
30 Florida Panthers $295M -5%
31 Arizona Coyotes $285M -5%
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

More proof that the dullards at Forbes know the price$ of everything, yet the value of nada!

Tell us what we're worth @apollo! Gotta' be at least 2 bill, eh?

& the value of our '82, '94 & 2011 memories?..You best ask Mastercard that question.

Looool love it 

This list is kinda odd tbh... What did the clippers sell for? Like 2 billion over their evaluation? 

I'm with you. I value us at 2 billion but I wouldn't sell at that even if I had the team :P

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Could easily do both.  Will probably have to wait until we get a commissioner who actually gives a damn about the sport though.

33 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Only way I see that is that if its in Sasketchewan or Quebec City...

IDK for Saskatchewan. They don't really have populated cities. Quebec city and Winnipeg have a similar population and Winnipeg is the least populated city in the NHL. Alone Winnipeg and Quebec city both have more than double of Saskatoon's population (Saskatchewan's most populated city) and Winnipeg alone has 70% of Saskatchewan's population. Not to mention a Saskatchewan team would take away from Winnipeg's(the 27th most valued NHL team) fan base, hurting both teams.

Quebec city and if we're looking for another Canadian team after that it would probably have to be in Ontario. Laffs can afford to lose some of their 10M+ fans.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IDK for Saskatchewan. They don't really have populated cities. Quebec city and Winnipeg have a similar population and Winnipeg is the least populated city in the NHL. Alone Winnipeg and Quebec city both have more than double of Saskatoon's population (Saskatchewan's most populated city) and Winnipeg alone has 70% of Saskatchewan's population. Not to mention a Saskatchewan team would take away from Winnipeg's(the 27th most valued NHL team) fan base, hurting both teams.

Quebec city and if we're looking for another Canadian team after that it would probably have to be in Ontario. Laffs can afford to lose some of their 10M+ fans.

Yeah I agree regarding Saskatchewan. It would have to be Regina, and idk what the nick name would be? And I don't want to.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

One of the reasons the Canucks didn't enter the league until 1970 because Toronto didh't want to lose revenue because of a market that was three time zones away. I don't see them wanting a team within driving distance of them, even if it is the 2020s.

On 12/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I was born and raised in saskatchewan. Still reside here, and if a team was brought to a location such as saskatoon, this province would make it thrive. Even though winnipeg may be one of the closest teams to us, i dont know of many fans. Our Football team should serve as an example of how much pride this province has for our pro sports teams. We pack the stadium in regina all the time. People will drive 4-5hrs to watch a game. They will even sit in the snow. A Pro Hockey team would do the same thing. It would draw from all parts of the province. 

41 minutes ago, ForNuckSakes said:

I was born and raised in saskatchewan. Still reside here, and if a team was brought to a location such as saskatoon, this province would make it thrive. Even though winnipeg may be one of the closest teams to us, i dont know of many fans. Our Football team should serve as an example of how much pride this province has for our pro sports teams. We pack the stadium in regina all the time. People will drive 4-5hrs to watch a game. They will even sit in the snow. A Pro Hockey team would do the same thing. It would draw from all parts of the province. 

I still don't see them doing it. It isn't smart from a business sense.

Add on to the lack of TV revenue they'd bring and ultimately take away from Winnipeg too, who are already low on the list. They'd likely be around the bottom of the list in terms of generating money for the NHL.

It isn't worth it when Ontario and Quebec are enormously bigger markets. Habs and Leafs alone probably take up half of all Canada's fans. Maybe more when you consider the Maritimes are mostly Habs fans and both the Leafs/Habs have fans everywhere. A Quebec City team wouldn't make enough of a considerable dent in order to hurt the Habs immensely and Quebec and the Maritimes together are a lot more populated. Another Ontario team would make more sense than a Saskatchewan team after that.

The city of Portland alone has almost twice the population of the entire province of Sasketchewan and Oregon has almost 4 times as much people. That should be a city considered for relocation. In 2016 the Portland Winterhawks were the 4th most valued WHL franchise only behind the Vancouver Giants, Calgary Hitman and Edmonton Oil Kings. With the addition of Seattle, the Kracken will only help grow hockey and interest from the state of Oregon and hey the T-birds and Winterhawks already have a rivalry.

Simply put there are better options.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1