The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TG, the best in the country??

Rate this topic

iceman64

Ok so I couldn't sleep so I went looking for something hockey related as usual and got the shock of my life, ok maybe not quite BUT I stared at the screen and thought I must be seeing things! 

I happened up an article in the Toronto Sun by Wayne Simmons and honestly I have no idea his history but my mouth dropped, after I read about the goalies and then he switched to talking about the coaches Canada wide and then he says Travis Green may be the best in the country.. I don't know about that but I was like, wait what??? did I read that right?? a Toronto Sun media writer said that??

Honestly if I didn't read that myself and you told me that someone said that on the Toronto Sun, I'd have laughed it off and said, nice try! more like b.s.! no way! 

After last season though and as far as we got, he did great! If it weren't for TG wanting to stay in Vancouver he'd be on other team's radar and I'm sure he is already but he made it clear he wants to stay and finish what he helped start.

(Thankfully I may add)

Simmons also mentioned Demko and Holtby, and if Holtby will return to form (I'd be almost willing to bet $ he will) Holtby is  excited but in a condensed season, us having a ex Vesina winner on the team for insurance is a plan B that I'm happy took place after Marky left. 

Anyway wtg Travis, seems like your on pace with the team. keep it up! 

Still hard to believe that read came from the center of the universe (Toronto) 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/simmons-hello-all-canadian-division-of-nhl-goodbye-netflix/wcm/a35e33c2-aee4-4154-b34c-574ce065e07c/amp/

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The.Burrowers said:

not really sure how Newell Brown has a job myself...

It's because the Canucks had a Top 10 powerplay last season (9th overall). Really impressive when you consider that teams like Vegas, Washington, Toronto, New York Islanders, Philadelphia, and Winnipeg were all behind us in that category. Newell is good at building powerplays.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like Green as a coach, & think he's good for our rebuilt group. That said, he'd best adjust, progress & evolve on the same timeline/learning-curve, we fans are hoping occurs with our nascent youngins'.

Have a sliiiight grievance (ORLY?) with how he handled our roster, vs the Lost Vegans, but have adequately tossed my (2 cents worth) opinion 

into that discussion :^)

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

brown is a moron not sure why benning thhinks the drop pass pp is a think that works  

Lolll was just going to comment on this.   You’ll have a player flying down the middle on a PP, making fans get excited, and then comes the drop pass.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

brown is a moron not sure why benning thhinks the drop pass pp is a think that works  

It does work on occasion, but it's the inability to have a secondary/tertiary zone entry strategy when you have a team that can shut it down in the neutral zone that bugs me about him. Just goes back to the dry well.

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

It does work on occasion, but it's the inability to have a secondary/tertiary zone entry strategy when you have a team that can shut it down in the neutral zone that bugs me about him. Just goes back to the dry well.

if anything  Schmidt Hughes should be setting up Petey, Boeser and  Virtanen to unload one timers in slot with l motte miller horvat swarming net for rebounds  its not rocket science

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

It's because the Canucks had a Top 10 powerplay last season (9th overall). Really impressive when you consider that teams like Vegas, Washington, Toronto, New York Islanders, Philadelphia, and Winnipeg were all behind us in that category. Newell is good at building powerplays.

......remember when Bieksa had so much praise for Brown on HNIC?  Canuck fans were......incredulous.....

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

......remember when Bieksa had so much praise for Brown on HNIC?  Canuck fans were......incredulous.....

Yep, I remember that.

The truth is, Newell Brown's powerplays aren't the most fun to watch. Lots of drop passes, and passing in general, but it's extremely effective and has helped the Canucks a lot. It's not the most sexy powerplay, but I'd rather have an effective one that might be frustrating to watch from time to time than a fun and chaotic looking powerplay that is trash.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Doesn’t work, it’s too predictable.   Look what happens when they play good defensive teams 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sassbs said:

Doesn’t work, it’s too predictable.   Look what happens when they play good defensive teams 

Have we been able to set up in the zone after using it? Yes, so it does work occasionally as I've said, but my point above was that there's no 2nd/3rd zone entry strategy being employed when we run into those defensively sound teams.