The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby’s new mask

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It is a fair point to make, if you're going to use NW Coast art, you could think about including a NW Coast artist somehow. Its not a requirement but would be a good gesture to support local artists if possible. 

But having said that, If you look at the Holtby's social media accounts, they seem like quite decent folks who I don't think would ever set out to offend anyone. Certainly not deserving of cancelling or whatever else some sad podcast is trying to gain from it. 

Agreed with that, it wasn't so horrendous that it should really be an issue. But, as you said, it was an opportunity missed.

And for those talking about the Orca (still weird to go for a thunderbird that would attack an orca), it's more of a loose interpretation of PNW art.

The logo design by Vancouver artist Brent Lynch introduced in 1997 featured a breaching killer whale orca whale breaking out of a patch of ice. The orca and the ice together formed the letter 'C' (for Canucks). Many people feel that it was not surprising that the Canucks chose to use an orca since the company that owned the team was one called Orca Bay.

The Vancouver Canucks orca was definitely inspired by Pacific Northwest Native art and some say particularly Haida style. The baring teeth does show some resemblance to those on Pacific Northwest Native art orca carvings. However, some Northwest Native artists say that the Canucks orca does not have enough traditional elements and shapes that make it an actual Pacific Northwest Native art design.

Edited by elvis15
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

People here complaining about the mask: 0

People here complaining about people complaining about the mask: 8

Who's more sensitive? 

I can't say I like the mask myself. Something about the airbrushing looks...amateur. Great concept, not great execution. 

I don't think they're complaining about people here but the backlash on other outlets such as Twitter. 

So kind of a moot point there with all due respect.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I totally disagree that a culture's background means only someone with that background should be allowed to create art for it.

People need to be inclusive - not silo'ing - how the bleep are we to put aside our differences if we can't embrace them instead?

The mask - I love it.  

Pretty much.

Look at how many different types of people, particularly young people, embrace black culture(white/latino/asian/etc) or japanese culture(black/non-japanese asian/white/latino/etc). People love anime, video games and rap/hip-hop music. Helps create more unity since when people like the same stuff they tend to like each other.

There are certain things that shouldn't be inclusive for sure. Like getting a white guy to play a black guy in a movie. These sort of extremes everyone is in agreement against.

Glad everyone here is in agreement as far as I can tell and is just focusing on the art.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

People here complaining about the mask: 0

People here complaining about people complaining about the mask: 8

Who's more sensitive? 

I can't say I like the mask myself. Something about the airbrushing looks...amateur. Great concept, not great execution. 

See Twitter and Facebook

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Agreed with that, it wasn't so horrendous that it should really be an issue. But, as you said, it was an opportunity missed.

And for those talking about the Orca (still weird to go for a thunderbird that would attack an orca), it's more of a loose interpretation of PNW art.

it wouldn't surprise me if they involve a local artist and we see a 2.0 version of the idea. 

social media is such a clown show. I heard there was some controversy about it but didn't look at the mask until just now. its seems fine. the outrage culture is really too much these days and it's sad how jerky the mob mentality on social media can be.

i am sure holtby will do the classy move now and do some sort of a collaboration but its all so forced

• Cheers 1