The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby’s new mask

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think they're complaining about people here but the backlash on other outlets such as Twitter. 

So kind of a moot point there with all due respect.

So why whine about it here? 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

So why whine about it here? 

I am seeing mostly everyone in agreement(on both sides of the spectrum) that there's nothing particularly wrong here and they disagree with the people who are taking it too seriously. Especially now that Holtby and the guy who made the mask have received backlash. Holtby felt he had to even apologize too.

I don't think it is whining but you can think what you want. I think people are just in disagreement about the unnecessary backlash, especially when that backlash is against someone like Holtby who's super about equality and who's heart was in the right place. I am gonna stand up for Holtby in regards to this since it's unnecessary for someone of his character.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

Art is subjective I think it looks like $&!# to be honest.The cultural theft part is pretty weak argument based on the fact that nature is not owned by anyone.emily Carr probably the most famous Canadian artist has been accused of cultural appropriation as well.

Edited by Violator

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Welcome to Vancouver , a city that gets offended easy, a city that is soft as butter soft has toilet paper and with the dumbest council out there

It's not Vancouver, this kind of stuff is happening everywhere. The majority of people are not nearly as hysterical, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease and we've decided  as a society that whoever screeches the loudest on twitter is who we listen to.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

So embarrassed that this is how a new player is made welcome to vancouver. We sure do have some crazies here.

Some people can't see past the fact that this is a popular artist for goalie masks in leagues around the world, and has worked with Holtby for 10+years. How many of those freaking out on twitter would have actually thought twice about it if they were in his shoes? Always easier to be wise after the fact.

So... there is actually a good angle to this. A local artist gets a chance to showcase their work. Isn't that a good thing? good on Holtby to turn this into a positive and go for the do-over on the mask. 

Its interesting watching the extreme ends of the reaction to this story, both are uber-triggered and both aren't looking at the whole picture. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Some people can't see past the fact that this is a popular artist for goalie masks in leagues around the world, and has worked with Holtby for 10+years. How many of those freaking out on twitter would have actually thought twice about it if they were in his shoes? Always easier to be wise after the fact.

there's nothing wrong with re-thinking the concept to include a local artist. Honestly I can't see why people would be upset about that. 

• Wat 1