The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby’s new mask

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, gurn said:

"If you ever drop your keys in molten lava, forget about them; because man, their gone"

10,000 years later some future archaeologist finds those keys preserved by the lava and tries piece together what the were for.

Meanwhile everyone in 10,000 years doesn't even know what hockey is.

9 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

this is something that is a problem on the left for sure. Its a small but very vocal movement, much like things like true believer wexiteers on the right.

What bugs me is, there is a rational, reasonable discussion to have about when and how to work with first nations artists, but we're not having that discussion. Instead we're talking about the extremists.  

Its really unfortunate that the extremists are able to grab on to a story and rag doll it for their own politics. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

On 12/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

this is something that is a problem on the left for sure. Its a small but very vocal movement, much like things like true believer wexiteers on the right.

What bugs me is, there is a rational, reasonable discussion to have about when and how to work with first nations artists, but we're not having that discussion. Instead we're talking about the extremists.  

Its really unfortunate that the extremists are able to grab on to a story and rag doll it for their own politics. 

No one owns any style of art. The end. I think the helm is cool, and a compliment to their culture.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

No one owns any style of art. The end. I think the helm is cool, and a compliment to their culture.

its not about ownership, its about a bit of respect for the culture you're taking the imagery from. I like that the Canucks did consult with some First Nations folks about the orca, thats a good way to show a compliment. Just using it on its own isn't necessarily a compliment, imo. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not about ownership, its about a bit of respect for the culture you're taking the imagery from. I like that the Canucks did consult with some First Nations folks about the orca, thats a good way to show a compliment. Just using it on its own isn't necessarily a compliment, imo. 

If it is done tastefully it is a compliment. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If it is done tastefully it is a compliment. 

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. To me just talking something and using it with no consultation isn't necessarily a compliment and can be looked at poorly by the culture you're taking the idea from. I think its better to at least try to make an effort with local artists. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. To me just talking something and using it with no consultation isn't necessarily a compliment and can be looked at poorly by the culture you're taking the idea from. I think its better to at least try to make an effort with local artists. 

Art is interpretation, no one owns a style. Consultation is the most respectful way of doing it of course but imo, if you genuinely respect and research the style it is a compliment as well. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Art is interpretation, no one owns a style. Consultation is the most respectful way of doing it of course but imo, if you genuinely respect and research the style it is a compliment as well. 

sure but that way you risk irking some prof in Manitoba that has no stake in it. 

/s

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, Squamfan said:

Guess which podcast is offended by this:bigblush:

the most politically sensitive one... as in.. wahhhhhhh! good grief.. like splitting hairs or what? gimme a break..  smh it's a hockey mask, every little thing these days it seems, wtf?? 

If it helps, when considering this type of dilemna with respect to art it can be approached by asking a simple question.  Does the questioning and discussion present an opportunity for the human spirit to be raised and for the art form to be improved?  If yes then it is for good.

I am certain that Braden Holtby as well as the Canucks and the indigenous artist he chooses will all benefit in the long run. This will become a feel good story and his new mask will be a celebration.

A little discourse is not a bad thing. Either side.

Don't be afraid to discuss. Question. Speak out. Share your opinion. All good.

Feeling afraid to share your opinion is where the real danger lies.

• Cheers 2