The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby’s new mask

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

disgusting

yes this is. part of me wishes all social media accounts were verified so people would have to be accountable for their words. 

there should not be a need for anyone to feel like they need to hide from social media.

• Hydration 4
Just now, Laoag said:

yes this is. part of me wishes all social media accounts were verified so people would have to be accountable for their words. 

there should not be a need for anyone to feel like they need to hide from social media.

not surprised that its fans and followers of a podcast thats hockey culture

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it must be from Alberta too. If it was BC they'd be using a solar oven to cook tofu dogs. 

Now that would b a good mask 

Every woke thing someone from Vancouver could think of

2 hours ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

sorry sir but i dont know where you get this from?

in germany we dont  cook or roast sausages this way. isnt that marchmallow style?

weiners(wieners) are sausages that get boiled in germany, may some guys use those one for BBQ but not this way. 

do you have problems with germans maybe? prejudices maybe? 

My grandmother is from Austria while the rest of the English are eating turkey and stuffing I'm eating bratwurst and schnitzel

One would hope that a situation like this could be used for good, to help educate people and promote working together. Given his genuine desire to pay tribute to the province's indigenous community, Holtby should have consulted with an indigenous artist. I think the leaders commenting publicly are using this as an opportunity to express how important indigenous culture is, on both an artistic and spiritual level, and I think Holtby has taken that to heart - which is good to see. He didn't mean any harm but now has a greater respect for the situation and the concerns of those who have taken issue with it.

But it's never that simple. Unfortunately, the Twitter mob contorts situations like this out of control, pouring endless gasoline and vitriol on the matter, to the point where it becomes an angry exchange of retribution. Social justice should be about changing hearts and minds, bringing awareness to important issues and working together to build a more friendly future. Now, rather than creating a situation where people can further learn about indigenous culture and help promote awareness, there's a lot of misplaced frustration. It's unfortunate.  

Edited by nowhereman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I strongly agree with you. IMOA it would have caused a stir if his new helmet didn't have any art to tie it to Vancouver and the Indigenous west coast symbols.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People find a reason to bitch no matter what.

Next time i see an indigenous person wearing a cowboy hat and boots,  listening to country music, i am going to cry fowl. That's our cultural identity around this part of the country. 

you mean music that was stolen from black blues musician  that was turned into  "country music" for white people  , so you still cant win lol 

57 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

One would hope that a situation like this could be used for good, to help educate people and promote working together. Given his genuine desire to pay tribute to the province's indigenous community, Holtby should have consulted with an indigenous artist. I think the leaders commenting publicly are using this as an opportunity to express how important indigenous culture is, on both an artistic and spiritual level, and I think Holtby has taken that to heart - which is good to see. He didn't mean any harm but now has a greater respect for the situation and the concerns of those who have taken issue with it.

But it's never that simple. Unfortunately, the Twitter mob contorts situations like this out of control, pouring endless gasoline and vitriol on the matter, to the point where it becomes an angry exchange of retribution. Social justice should be about changing hearts and minds, bringing awareness to important issues and working together to build a more friendly future. Now, rather than creating a situation where people can further learn about indigenous culture and help promote awareness, there's a lot of misplaced frustration. It's unfortunate.  

I'm guessing that Holtby and his management team know enough than to pay attention to the loons out there.  He's likely been in contact with members of BC's indigenous groups 1-1 and likely worked it all out.

I honestly didn't really like the mask anyway.

• Hydration 2

Imagine being such a pathetic loser you're triggered by something as insignificant as this. I sure as hell can't. 

Holtby should rock the mask. If people have a problem with that, they can support a different team. If management has a problem with that stance, he should demand a trade. This team isn't as good as it was last season anyway; not sure what the hell he's expecting to accomplish here realistically. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm guessing that Holtby and his management team know enough than to pay attention to the loons out there.  He's likely been in contact with members of BC's indigenous groups 1-1 and likely worked it all out.

I honestly didn't really like the mask anyway.

it seems to me like some good has come out of all this, based on what Holtby has said about it. Not sure why people have to treat this as a hair-on-fire moment, both the podcasters and the folks treating this like "1984" :picard: its neither of the things the left-right extremes are saying it is.

I can't wait to see the new design, it would be very cool if this was the start of more collaborations between First Nations artists and other sports teams. 

6 hours ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

sorry sir but i dont know where you get this from?

in germany we dont  cook or roast sausages this way. isnt that marchmallow style?

weiners(wieners) are sausages that get boiled in germany, may some guys use those one for BBQ but not this way. 

do you have problems with germans maybe? prejudices maybe?

North American's do terrible things to European food. Have you seen what they do to pirogies in Winnipeg? they deep fry them. Animals.