The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks clearing Cap for Hamonic

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At 30 years old I don't see the fit. Hughes, Edler, Schmidt and Myers are top 4. #5 and #6 can be any combination of Benn and prospects. Younger players who need the TOI to show what they will be capable of in 2-3 years. 

He would be a great addition, total team guy who stands up for hit team. When he stood up and fought Guddy he earned my respect in a big way. He is a huge upgrade over Benn or Stetcher. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At 30 years old I don't see the fit. Hughes, Edler, Schmidt and Myers are top 4. #5 and #6 can be any combination of Benn and prospects. Younger players who need the TOI to show what they will be capable of in 2-3 years. 

If one of those top four guys does down, which is the inevitable these days, then our defence is looking even more suspect than it already is. Veteran depth is good. 

Hamonic would be a great addition. He replaces Tanev and fills our need for a defensively responsible player who can kill penalties. A one year deal would be perfect at something around 2M. He could compliment Hughes well, play with Juolevi on the bottom pair and/or kill penalties. 

The other UFA I would be interested in is Granlund. I think he would be a good fit in our top-6 and could play with either Pettersson or Horvat. He might be interested in a one year deal as well and could up some good numbers with our team and play in all situations. Hopefully a one year deal around 3.5M would work. 

To make space for these two additions, Ferland would have to go to LTIR. Another contract would have to be moved as well. I would prefer to move Roussel since he has two years on his deal. Maybe something like Roussel + 3rd + Focht would be enough to find a partner. Baertschi and Eriksson would be buried as well. 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Granlund

Hawryluk - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

MacEwan

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Benn, Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

I think that would be the ideal offseason. The team would be in a much better position to make some noise this year while improving our cap flexibility for the future. 

14 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hamonic would be a great addition. He replaces Tanev and fills our need for a defensively responsible player who can kill penalties. A one year deal would be perfect at something around 2M. He could compliment Hughes well, play with Juolevi on the bottom pair and/or kill penalties. 

The other UFA I would be interested in is Granlund. I think he would be a good fit in our top-6 and could play with either Pettersson or Horvat. He might be interested in a one year deal as well and could up some good numbers with our team and play in all situations. Hopefully a one year deal around 3.5M would work. 

To make space for these two additions, Ferland would have to go to LTIR. Another contract would have to be moved as well. I would prefer to move Roussel since he has two years on his deal. Maybe something like Roussel + 3rd + Focht would be enough to find a partner. Baertschi and Eriksson would be buried as well. 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Granlund

Hawryluk - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

MacEwan

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Benn, Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

I think that would be the ideal offseason. The team would be in a much better position to make some noise this year while improving our cap flexibility for the future. 

Pearson & Granlund don’t make a second line. 

Toffoli brought some serious pedigree.
Hopefully the Canucks can rectify that.

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

He would be a great addition, total team guy who stands up for hit team. When he stood up and fought Guddy he earned my respect in a big way. He is a huge upgrade over Benn or Stetcher. 

Huge upgrade over Stetcher or Benn but I fear he is exactly what we don't need.

Another dman who can't shoot that is injury prone and punches out of his weight class.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Huge upgrade over Stetcher or Benn but I fear he is exactly what we don't need.

Another dman who can't shoot that is injury prone and punches out of his weight class.

He would be signed for a 1 year deal. Pretty much no risk. 

Can't shoot, well if paired with OJ, he wouldn't be the offensive guy and don't need a shooter for the PK. Injury prone is just opportunities for the young guys, better than throwing them into the fire outright. Plus limited minutes could keep him healthier. Better to have that physical presence than not and him punching out of his weight class is better than Stecher doing so.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Hamonic and Schmidt replacing Stetcher and Tanev is a legit LARGE upgrade on D over last year. 

I personally think Virtanen is ready to take a top 6 spot, not to mention Hogz who will push for that spot as well. 

Our Dline was due for a rebuild, and this would be a great move towards that.  

Get it done JB

Virtanen is not and will not be a top six forward, he has had his chance and could not put it together he will be a decent top 9 if he can be consistent with using his size which seems to be a problem. I don’t see guadette as being able to fill tofolli shoes  he had plenty of Time in the top six as well , so unless hogs comes in and wows us to fill that top six then we have massive hole, and we have had holes  for years chucking who ever we could with BO and not finding the solution when we got tofolli we finally, finally had a full top 6

if we can’t fill it then once again we will put the blender on max speed for Bo  which is not fair to our captain 

7 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Virtanen is not and will not be a top six forward, he has had his chance and could not put it together he will be a decent top 9 if he can be consistent with using his size which seems to be a problem. I don’t see guadette as being able to fill tofolli shoes  he had plenty of Time in the top six as well , so unless hogs comes in and wows us to fill that top six then we have massive hole, and we have had holes  for years chucking who ever we could with BO and not finding the solution when we got tofolli we finally, finally had a full top 6

if we can’t fill it then once again we will put the blender on max speed for Bo  which is not fair to our captain 

I disagree strongly. I believe Virtanen can be the difference maker in the top six if he tries.

18 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Lol. If he tries?

I think he has a lack of motivation to be consistent. If he tries a little harder at being consistent, maybe showing up to camp in great shape for instance, I think he can be great. 

Maturity, that’s what he needs. Priorities of being the best player he can. If he “tries” and matures, Virtanen is our dark horse this year. I believe he has that in him.