The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks clearing Cap for Hamonic

33 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Virtanen is not and will not be a top six forward, he has had his chance and could not put it together he will be a decent top 9 if he can be consistent with using his size which seems to be a problem. I don’t see guadette as being able to fill tofolli shoes  he had plenty of Time in the top six as well , so unless hogs comes in and wows us to fill that top six then we have massive hole, and we have had holes  for years chucking who ever we could with BO and not finding the solution when we got tofolli we finally, finally had a full top 6

if we can’t fill it then once again we will put the blender on max speed for Bo  which is not fair to our captain 

He has been getting better each years. Was on pace for over 20 goals last year. I think if there were no playoffs last year people would be saying a different thing. He was very inconsistent in the playoffs and I know that's a big issue, I just still not ready to give up on the kid. He just shows so much potential. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Huge upgrade over Stetcher or Benn but I fear he is exactly what we don't need.

Another dman who can't shoot that is injury prone and punches out of his weight class.

He's a solid defensive guy who hits a ton and at least isn't afraid.  We do need defensemen who actually play defense; you realize this, right?

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

He has been getting better each years. Was on pace for over 20 goals last year. I think if there were no playoffs last year people would be saying a different thing. He was very inconsistent in the playoffs and I know that's a big issue, I just still not ready to give up on the kid. He just shows so much potential. 

true, also with bennings interveiw saying he needed to do more in the playoffs, also his earlier interview saying its time to show what you got or get traded/demoted in the line, for this up coming season.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Cheers 1

As long as we aren't trading any 1sts or top prospects to lose a Beagle/ Sutter/ Loui/ Baertschi and open cap space then that would be fine by me.
Hamonic at a minimum would at least be a reclamation project, at most could provide needed defensive support to someone like Juolevi/ Rathbone.

IMO it's time to let the young d prospects fill out the bottom 6 and play (Chatfield, Rafferty, *Juolevi, Rathbone or....pie in the sky Treeamkin!!).

*Penciled in bottom 6 already by all accounts.

However, it's going to be a shortened season so depth at D would be nice. We have some older bodies in Edler and Myers on D looking at playing a lot of back to back nights probably. So If the price is right and say Ferland ends up on LTIR, which could allot us some more $ to spend, Hamonic might fit the bill on a 1 year deal. More term than that, I say pass.

2 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Virtanen is not and will not be a top six forward, he has had his chance and could not put it together he will be a decent top 9 if he can be consistent with using his size which seems to be a problem. I don’t see guadette as being able to fill tofolli shoes  he had plenty of Time in the top six as well , so unless hogs comes in and wows us to fill that top six then we have massive hole, and we have had holes  for years chucking who ever we could with BO and not finding the solution when we got tofolli we finally, finally had a full top 6

if we can’t fill it then once again we will put the blender on max speed for Bo  which is not fair to our captain 

I disagree.  
Jakes numbers were a lot better than you’d think, and put up good points despite playing a lot  of time with 3rd 4th liners.  
It sounds like this off-season he has been taking training seriously.   
Sometimes a kid needs time to figure it out.  
Jake is a potato head.  It’s taking a bit longer.   

• Cheers 3

As much as I want the Canucks to have more depth, they really need to start finding out which prospect will swim and which will sink.  

Prospect needs to have NHL experience to find out whether they can make it in the league or not.  

"Marinating" a prospect only makes sense if there is actually room and a clear path going forward.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's a solid defensive guy who hits a ton and at least isn't afraid.  We do need defensemen who actually play defense; you realize this, right?

No I didn't. I thought we'd try Demko on d....although Kirk McLean could stick handle better than all of them but 43.

If we looking for a good PK D that can eat minutes on a cheap 1 year deal Hainesy is available.

He's old but he was playing 20:41 in 64 games last season. Was a good mentor for Chabot and could do good with OJ. LHD that can play the right side.

That's if he doesn't hang them up.

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we looking for a good PK D that can eat minutes on a cheap 1 year deal Hainesy is available.

He's old but he was playing 20:41 in 64 games last season. Was a good mentor for Chabot and could do good with OJ. LHD that can play the right side.

That's if he doesn't hang them up.

While I agree, I think the idea is to try to add an actual RHD to balance out the pairings more. But Hainsey would be a respectable backup plan.

5 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Of all the players we lost, I was most disappointed about Toffoli.

Anyone wondering if Benning thought one of two things?

- Ferland would retire.

- Eriksson would be willing to be moved, or retire.

That's the only way I see why he brought Toffoli. Benning doesn't seem to be a straight up rental guy. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

As much as I want the Canucks to have more depth, they really need to start finding out which prospect will swim and which will sink.  

Prospect needs to have NHL experience to find out whether they can make it in the league or not.  

"Marinating" a prospect only makes sense if there is actually room and a clear path going forward.  

It's going to be a shortened season, injuries are going to happen and time management will likely be a thing for most teams. I think we could add depth and we could still see plenty of the young D get some game time, especially if we do indeed have a taxi squad. If we add Hamonic, I could see us having OJ/Rarhbone-Hamonic as a set pairing and could flip in Benn-Rafferty/Chatfield when needed.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone wondering if Benning thought one of two things?

- Ferland would retire.

- Eriksson would be willing to be moved, or retire.

That's the only way I see why he brought Toffoli. Benning doesn't seem to be a straight up rental guy. 

I think Benning expected the cap to go up as had been planned. The trade was made well before the world shut down. We had a conditional pick set into the trade that likely had us thinking about re-signing him for sure.

We had tried to move LE, Benning had said so, but we couldn't make a deal that made sense happen. It's just the way it goes. We have a lot of promising talent coming up on wing that I'm glad we didn't tie up more cap there and decided to keep it on defense with acquisition of Schmidt instead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

IMO it's time to let the young d prospects fill out the bottom 6 and play (Chatfield, Rafferty, *Juolevi, Rathbone or....pie in the sky Treeamkin!!).

*Penciled in bottom 6 already by all accounts.

However, it's going to be a shortened season so depth at D would be nice. We have some older bodies in Edler and Myers on D looking at playing a lot of back to back nights probably. So If the price is right and say Ferland ends up on LTIR, which could allot us some more $ to spend, Hamonic might fit the bill on a 1 year deal. More term than that, I say pass.

Id like to see this as well.  It's a shortened/oddball season anyhow.  

I also think you'd get the wolf pack mentality going as well with these young kids playing for one another/fighting for jobs.

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Id like to see this as well.  It's a shortened/oddball season anyhow.  

I also think you'd get the wolf pack mentality going as well with these young kids playing for one another/fighting for jobs.

Or you could try and put together the best team you can and let the kids fight for fewer spots.

Guys will still get injuries and sick, kids will get a shot, but Hamonic does upgrade our D. And we really need an upgraded D.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Same here.  Hamonic is a warrior.  He is a very physical player(yep, his hits are clean and hard), who is also great at getting the puck out of the d-zone.  When he drops the mitts he often takes on some pretty tough characters (his fight partners are some of the tougher dudes in the NHL; hence getting sometimes destroyed).  If he only signs for the season (at an affordable rate) he doesn't need to be protected at the ex. draft.  If his fit is good, they may be able to re-sign him later on.  I actually prefer him over Myers.  I would be sooooo thrilled if JB can sign this guy!

OMG, Hamonic 30 yrs old, 6'2, 210 lbs very very gritty look he took on big Guddy....

Hamonic would be a solid #4 guy playing #5 D position..Extra depth solid D man, injuries will happen he can move into top 4 spot..

He could be signed to 1 year X 1.8 million....Sign him for sure makes the defence better..