The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Orca.

Rate this topic

BoKnows

11 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

So how about this for a jersey? or is this appropriation of Quebec culture? or sacrilege? or copyright infringement? Likely the all of the above, but considering the amount of habs fans out here, maybe it works?

thumb.jpeg

Mods:  Can we please have a 'puke' emoji? 

• Haha 4

On 12/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, DrJockitch said:

If Holtby’s mask is a problem then this is a problem. 
where is the line between honouring the local heritage and cultural appropriation?  
Do I have to be Spanish or French to paint in a cubist style?

If I make tacos for dinner have I done something wrong?

I don’t know where the line is anymore. 

The line is right there next to stupidity, sadly some people try to split hairs and end up looking stupid when, at the end of the day it's a sport logo.. don't like it, don't look at it.. no one is FORCING ANYONE to look at it.

Really don't like it?  go cheer for someone else..

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, the grinder said:

just need to add some skinny jeans ,hipster toque , and a man purse, snow flakes would love it 

Johnny is a man, that will be labelled sexist.. and we all know where that will go...  probably 2 sides will settle for Jenny Canuck too, wait.. Willy and Fin as the Canuck Kids too? new age Canuck family?  looks around for the SUV... (and the dog)  Doogie Canuck?  might end up looking like a weird family portrait idk...

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

The line is right there next to stupidity, sadly some people try to split hairs and end up looking stupid when, at the end of the day it's a sport logo.. don't like it, don't look at it.. no one is FORCING ANYONE to look at it.

Really don't like it?  go cheer for someone else..

That’s a strong reaction to a fairly milquetoast statement. 

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

It also occurred to me nobody would demand number 11 again as it would look like skunk stripes on the back. :lol:

It looked good on Wayne Maki worn with pride, but not so good on that Oiler refugee, where  it did fit your skunk oberservation

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Johnny is a man, that will be labelled sexist.. and we all know where that will go...  probably 2 sides will settle for Jenny Canuck too, wait.. Willy and Fin as the Canuck Kids too? new age Canuck family?  looks around for the SUV... (and the dog)  Doogie Canuck?  might end up looking like a weird family portrait idk...

johnny could of been Johana  and could be gender neutral 

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

That’s a strong reaction to a fairly milquetoast statement. 

Strong? Nada.. THIS is strong but right to the point, the only thing standing between us and death for every last one of us is time, is nit picking a goalie mask and a sports team really worth the time spent on it? If our lives are reduced to that, we might want to rethink that just a bittttt... 

I say we draft and use the photo of Ocra Wiesblatt on the Canuck jersey.

Orca Wiesblatt | Ice Hockey Wiki | Fandom

image.jpeg.6abf6bd163211233b00bc9b016f1f296.jpeg

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/232706/orca-wiesblatt

His brother Ozzy Wiesblatt was drafted in the 2020 NHL draft - 1st round by the San Jose Sharks.

His other brothers are named Oasiz and Ocean.  All raised by a hearing impaired single mother.

Ocean Wiesblatt was the one who was arrested at the Calgary outdoor rink.  

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/justice-professor-says-calgary-man-used-bad-judgement-during-rink-arrest-1.5239513

image.jpeg

Edited by stanleysteamersmyl
edit

On 12/17/2020 at 8:11 AM, Chickenspear said:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/grand-chief-says-he-s-not-offended-by-canucks-logo-1.5233048

Excerpt from the article:

'Lynch and his team knew the look would be controversial, and acquired opinions from several First Nations chiefs.

“They didn’t have a problem with it, and thought it was too cartoonish to be Indigenous art,” said Lynch from his Vancouver Island home. “We wouldn’t have done it if it was too close to their ceremonial art.”

Grand Chief Doug Kelly with the Stó:lō Tribal Council agrees it doesn’t look like First Nations art. He told CTV News he is not offended by the logo because in his opinion, there was no intent by the Canucks to be offensive.

“Is racism an issue? Absolutely. Is it something we should work together to eradicate? Absolutely. But am I troubled by the Canucks logo? No way, nope, no way,” said Chief Kelly.'

So why is this an issue?

It's an issue because a white guy took a potential job from a First Nations individual and the optics look bad because of colonialism. 

It's one of those, "Oh man, another white guy stealing from the Indigenous again?!" moments. People just be looking to be offended. 

• Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...

Mission accomplished! Buy the way all you orca logo lovers if you google search the southern resident killer whales that reside off of our coast the whale is currently on the US endangered species list! Will be proudly wearing this as an alternate third jersey when the pandemic ends and we can finally start going to Canucks games once again! Me being a long time 11 game yearly ice pack holder of the team will be wearing this at Rogers Arena and around town and I'm quite sure I'll get a lot of positive comments regarding the jersey! Being a 'retro' jersey it'd have made sense had they gone with this look as something different and that would sell well. Later haters!

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

Edited by vancouverbucsfan
spelling correction
  • Wat 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That looks frankly awful and not even a beer league should wear that 

Appreciate your feedback, everyone is human and entitled to an opinion so I respect yours, thx. Don't comprehend the 'beer league' theory behind your thinking?!?! Or it is too cartoon looking perhaps? The Penguins and the Ducks ones are just as cartoonish and the Islanders had a fisherman on their jersey at one time. Having worn it while out grocery shopping at the Burnaby Cotsco yesterday I had a lot of folks compliment me on the jersey saying they despised the 'regional orca whale logo" and thought this had been a good idea had the team done something different like a Johnny Canuck jersey. Being a 'retro' jersey this is what they should have considered. The retro they did with the orca makes it look like a sprite can jersey! Putting a Johnny Canuck logo on it had made more sense but seeing Aquaman loves his whale logo nothing is gonna change anytime soon. As well the southern resident killer whale is on the US endangered species list and can possibly become extinct one day soon.

ErKCMPEVkAItPCa.jpg

islanders-fisherman.jpg

images.png

Em-8HexVcAA-C7G.jpg

Edited by vancouverbucsfan
more content
  • Cheers 1