The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Orca.

Rate this topic

BoKnows

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

I 100% support this. 

I 100% DO NOT support this. 

I'm ok if we want black with our colours. 

Never liked the Flying V, never liked the downhill skate. (Despite my hatred for the jersey, I loved some of the players that played for them. Linden, Bure, Courtnall, McLean, etc.) 

No to Hallowe'en Colours.

I'd rather have Johnny Canuck (Provided that doesn't offend lumberjacks), stick in rink, or Orca. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

why do you have to use a racist label? "White Dude" , that is racist my friend.

Can we just not refer to people without race, color or culture?

Yeah from now on let’s refer to each other as muscle, sinew, fat with crazy looking eyeballs - skinless folks.   If we all just had translucent skin then maybe the world would be a better place.   Like no skin matters.   Unfortunately then it would be about how much fat some folks have and gross flabby triceps.  OR maybe  the folks with wider gaps between their eyes and big chins and teeth the size of horses teeth would be minority prejudices.     Humans as a species have a lot of growing up to do yet. 

53 minutes ago, vancouverbucsfan said:

canucks-horvat-johnny-canuck (1).png

29257655_1660871847325482_7377295024590946304_n.jpg

Love the Johnny Canuck jersey, esp w/Bo in it; these guys rocked that sweater too.

This old VCHC photo interested me very much, thank you. 

Trent Beatty played for the Prince George Mohawks (and was probably there the year they went all the way and won everything (and beat up everybody that stood in their way). 

That was a really, really, tough team that I am constantly reminded of every time I pull out the old Slapshot tape/DVD/download.

Marty Howe on D.  Maloney and Popein were really solid players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when you consider the word 'honouring' tho, it implies some level of respect. I'd think respect would include discussion if at all possible.

Maybe using an image for a sports team isn't positive for the ones being used if its just been taken and used with no attempt at consultation. You really can't know until you've had a discussion with them about it, imo anyway. 

Imagine if Bettman chose the Canadian uniforms for the Olympics e.g. as part of the negotiation between the NHL and Olympic Committee (which isn't far fetched if they want to ad advertising, e.g.). Would we all be "honoured" at what Bettman came up with? 

What's more respectful then using it in a symbol cherished by the majority of the local population.  Pro-sports teams bring the community together and using their art style is a compliment imo.  It'd be different if they used this logo as a way to mock their culture but that's obviously not the case.

I don't know if honoured is the right word but I won't be offended that Gary Bettman (an American) designed our jerseys.

53 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

I don't believe the Canucks use of an orca whale image is a cultural mis-appropriation. Use of the words "Eskimo", "Indian" and "Redskin" in a team name for many years is a whole different story.

I agree 100%.  If the Canucks do end up addressing this issue than will the Seahawks be pressured to change?

image.thumb.png.75ebaa5ed40c6c651a92ae2e48bb3091.png

Also will the Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blackhawks also rebrand?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1