The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Orca.

Rate this topic

BoKnows

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With the NHL exploring jersey ads for more additional revenue, it really doesn't matter anymore what the logo/color scheme is to me.

Eventually the atrocity will be this...

European hockey fans, how did jerseys become massive billboards? : hockey

NBA Jersey ads aren't bad at all.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Canucks fans still can’t agree on what logo or colour scheme the team should go with. Comforting to know that some things in this world never change. :lol:

That's because they have never had a proper logo or identity from the get go. Look at the knights and the new Seattle logos. Both winners and top selling merchandise the past years. The orca makes no sense whatsoever. The team is named after a fictional lumberjack. The whale reminds us of their past mistakes like the Messier signing(worse free agent pick up!) Gretzky getting shafted but the previous owner when he was gonna sign a contract the following morning via Pat Quinn to center Mogilny and Bure, Bert clubbing Steve Moore, etc, needs to go now finally. Out of here, later haters!

gif12.gif

Em-Cgi3UUAEfmCU.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2

3 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

It's pretty easy. Cultural appropriation is when a dominant culture appropriates from a disadvantaged minority culture. It can be seen as exploitation of the minority culture and traditions. If the Canucks logo was made (and used) without any consultation with local indigenous community, that's likely appropriation. The scale and effects of that are up for discussion. 

On that note, everyone needs to remember this is a discussion. The logo hasn't been immediately 'cancelled' because of a few twitter posts. 

Personally, I'd love to see the Canucks reach out and request the orca be redesigned by a local indiginous artist (Salish?). 

Regardless of the reason... I'm okay with this.  The logo could look even more menacing and stylistic with true west coast haida art.

Wow.... Unraveling all the wrongs of the world... A reckoning from biggest to smallest.  Lots to process, try to stay open everyone.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

Why is it always with these things it's no problem for decades, then ONE person complains and then the company caves and changes everything. Completely absurd.

A- Welcome.

B- This has been discussed for a while, but it's also been ignored for a while.

C- It's been brough up by more than one person.

D- It's a simple discussion, no company has caved and nothing has changed yet. 

E- Hyperbole. 

I would love it if you could introduce me to the world you live in where individual people are going around making companies cave and change everything. Sounds nice. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 3

10 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

Why is it always with these things it's no problem for decades, then ONE person complains and then the company caves and changes everything. 

What I find ironic is the generation(s) that take most offense are the younger ones these days.    Wonder how many white people have spent the time to talk to older First Nations folks to see how they really feel.   Making it their cause when it’s so far past their cause it’s extremely ironic that those same fans who love the orca and grew up with it could become the same fans who see it leave because some future generation decides it was in poor taste.   Cowboys and Indians and War were the main games kids played in gen x and baby bombers.   Made up play ... that’s what we did.   And loved playing any side.    Make wrong is about power, greed and money as much as anything else.    Hope folks wake up and just cut it out.   Bet they might re-consider some of their own hypocrisy if they are going to lose something they thought was ok...

• Cheers 1

Waiting for people to be outraged over the Minnesota Vikings. . . .

oh wait....

As previously mentioned in this thread, the logo should be changed back to the skate because the Orca is ugly, not because its 2020 and everyone is offended by everything

2 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

love the fact that some DUDE in Squamish is offended and defensive.

Please stop using racist terms, I'm just a Dude on the west coast of Vancouver island, that happens to have 20% indigenous heritage.

Lol what was racist in that 

The goal is to win The Cup.

The aggressive black, red, yellow, white was the result of trying to use sports psychology to gain an edge.

Any attempt to increase the chances to win The Cup are ok with me.

Despite the reasons some people did not like those uniforms, the team had some success, which might be partially attributable to the new colours.

I could give a flying "V" if they wear negligees, just win The Cup! 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1