The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Orca.

Rate this topic

BoKnows

2 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/grand-chief-of-coast-salish-nation-says-he-s-not-offended-by-canucks-logo-1.5233048 they arent even offended by it,  no reason to listen to this "professor" bitch for no reason then, more likely a flames fan just pisssed that our team did better this year 

No.

White people say they’re offended then they’re offended.

5 hours ago, mordekai said:

While we are at it. Change the name from canucks (since it can be sometimes derogatory according to Google...)

Just called it Vancouver Hockey Club... no logo... no colour

Good idea.  I have the perfect logo to get the ball rolling on this very necessary change... :bigblush:

4zE8M4t.png

• Like 1

Lol meh this is a stupid non-story from some random historian trying to cause a stir. Isn’t that guy white as well? He doesn’t really have any place to say what is and isn’t cultural appropriation or offensive to indigenous people when they themselves have no issue with it.

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs said the NHL franchise has a good relationship with local First Nations.

“They haven’t taken issue with the Canucks logo, so I have no problem with it,” he said.

Even people on this thread that are native are saying they have no issue with it other than that it’s ugly lol 

The Orca isn’t going anywhere.

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good response Aqua.

14 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Not once the Greeks hear about it...... 

Zeus: "Who told you that you could release the Kraken Seattle?"

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Didn't the team adopt the orca logo because the owner at the time was Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment? They are long gone so I would not be upset if we lose the orca. I'm all for going back to the stick in rink on the jersey with the skate logo as shoulder patches. Voila. No more controversy.

Actually they worked on word mark logos, new variations of the skate, variations of Johnny Canuck before deciding on the Orca logo designed with input from both a Haida artist and Trevor Linden. 

1 hour ago, CanucksCountry said:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/grand-chief-of-coast-salish-nation-says-he-s-not-offended-by-canucks-logo-1.5233048 they arent even offended by it,  no reason to listen to this "professor" bitch for no reason then, more likely a flames fan just pisssed that our team did better this year 

The most important takeaway from the article was that the logo designer consulted with First Nations chiefs before finalizing it:

Lynch and his team knew the look would be controversial, and acquired opinions from several First Nations chiefs.

“They didn’t have a problem with it, and thought it was too cartoonish to be Indigenous art,” said Lynch from his Vancouver Island home. “We wouldn’t have done it if it was too close to their ceremonial art.” 

Nothing wrong with that, honestly. I think it's good to have the conversation about the appropriation of First Nations art as long as it's respectful and not excessively accusatory in either direction.

• Cheers 2