The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Because he's been listening to the experts on this since day one.

As for plans.

Do you have kids?  I do.  2 daughters under the age of 12.

Every plan I make, changes from hour to hour and sometimes even less than that.  Most travellers now are those coming back to Canada or flying inter provincial routes.  I myself think that should have been addressed prior to Spring Break as that left nearly a million students moving about through major airports in to smaller cities.

But I give him and many of the leaders in Canada credit for doing their best to just let the experts call the shots regarding how to handle this virus from a social and medical level.

Kids? Yes and grand kids.

Just Canada?  Not the world?

9 hours ago, TheAce said:

read this as well, it shows that even Liberal MP's were questioning things that were going on.....  people can make all the excuses they want, but Canada was very slow to act and political correctness was a key factor in the decision making

I thought that was actually the most interesting part.

@Jimmy McGill has said a few times he would like to see an inquiry when this over, might be a good read for him. Long though lol.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I thought that was actually the most interesting part.

@Jimmy McGill has said a few times he would like to see an inquiry when this over, might be a good read for him. Long though lol.

absolutely I want a full assessment. I'm pro-liberal but not at the cost of hiding info we need to know. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, TheAce said:

read this as well, it shows that even Liberal MP's were questioning things that were going on.....  people can make all the excuses they want, but Canada was very slow to act and political correctness was a key factor in the decision making

Pretty much every country was slow to react and no one is escaping this thing.

At least when they started taking the threat seriously they acted professionally and with purpose. We could be a lot worse off right now (See the UK and America)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Kids? Yes and grand kids.

Just Canada?  Not the world?

Let's be completely honest here.,

SOME leaders around the globe are certainly not listening to experts or doing the common sense thing at all.  Brazil, America and to a now lesser extent Britain all seemed or seem to be going against the grain in wildly counter productive ways

• Upvote 4

A bit off topic but related.

Due to social distancing and reduced foot traffic in Downtown Vancouver,  there has been a sharp increase in store related thefts where thieves smash the display windows and steal stuff   Now stores have boarded up their windows.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Let's be completely honest here.,

SOME leaders around the globe are certainly not listening to experts or doing the common sense thing at all.  Brazil, America and to a now lesser extent Britain all seemed or seem to be going against the grain in wildly counter productive ways

Look at the difference between how China & Russia has handled things.  Two Orweillian governments to be sure....one is treating the situation seriously [belatedly...] and the other pretends it's not a problem at all.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Look at the difference between how China & Russia has handled things.  Two Orweillian governments to be sure....one is treating the situation seriously [belatedly...] and the other pretends it's not a problem at all.

After Brazilian president Bolsonaro's statements this week and Trumps insistence on opening the nation asap I am genuinely stunned

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly really question YVR in this...they have done little to be proactive and, as the gateway to the country here on the West Coast, that's really not good enough.  

I think there's a couple of things at play there, they don't have the authority on their own to do anything but warn people. We also just don't have the capacity to enforce a protocol on every traveller, we have to rely on voluntary compliance. Every person coming home knows the situation. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

so the usa

should pay the global costs for the spanish flu ?

No sir.

They should pay everyone the costs for diabetes, obesity and education due to their shipping of fast food, processed foods and reality TV shows which have contributed to the loss of intelligence and increase of food related health issues.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

No sir.

They should pay everyone the costs for diabetes, obesity and education due to their shipping of fast food, processed foods and reality TV shows which have contributed to the loss of intelligence and increase of food related health issues.

well tally up a detailed invoice then

i think NewbieCanuckFan may be willing to present it to bone spurs

and look after all the collection details

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's a couple of things at play there, they don't have the authority on their own to do anything but warn people. We also just don't have the capacity to enforce a protocol on every traveller, we have to rely on voluntary compliance. Every person coming home knows the situation. 

I've seen other airports, though, that take temperatures before people are sent through.

I'm not sure about "not having authority" - I mean, they surely could put measures in place that "ensured" rather than "hoped" people were deemed safe.  If they have the authority to haul people in because they don't have enough money or a job and are "a risk" I really don't buy that they couldn't also screen better.  That's border security...so maybe my frustration is somewhat displaced.

Grocery stores have lines on the floor and policies in place.  Drugstores.  An airport should be trying harder ... but it is just my opinion.

Saw a post from a woman picking up her daughter and it's very concerning.