The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

The Washington Post has created a website that tracks the number of deaths in the US that could have been avoided, had Trump not delayed and downplayed the severity of the pandemic. The figure is based on mathematical models, using input from experts in epidemiology:

https://trumpdeathclock.com/

For those with an version to clicking links, here is a screen shot, but bear in mind the number is growing as I type:

Trump Death Clock

Estimated Portion U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Due To POTUS Inaction
In January 2020, the Trump administration was advised that immediate action was required to stop the spread of COVID-19. According to NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci, “there was a lot of pushback” to this advice. President Trump declined to act until March 16th. Epidemiologists now estimate that, had mitigation measures been implemented one week earlier, 60% of American COVID-19 deaths would have been avoided.

The original story, that explains the genesis and methodology is here:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/opinions-trumps-covid-19-inaction-killed-americans-we-built-a-counter-to-find-how-many/ar-BB13GySU?li=AAggNb9

The National Debt Clock hangs above New York City’s Avenue of the Americas as a persistent reminder of a clear message: The United States is recklessly living beyond its means, and this will have grave future consequences. In the same symbolic spirit, it is time for the establishment of a national “death clock” to measure the cost in human lives of President Trump and his team’s reckless handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Reports show that as early as January 2020, the President was advised by both his own experts and the intelligence services of the need for urgent mitigation measures against the spread of the virus. Instead, he engaged in petty political feuds and pollyanish predictions minimizing its significance. Finally, on March 16th, he reversed his previously dismissive stance and announced “new guidelines for every American to follow.”

But by then it was too late; America was already the world leader in its rate of COVID-19 infection and has since become home to one-third of the world’s cases and five times as many as any other country. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has stated that, had the guidelines been implemented earlier, a crucial period in the exponential spread of the virus would have been mitigated and American lives saved. Leading epidemiologists have put a finer point on this, estimating that 50 to 80 percent of covid-19 deaths in New York and approximately 90 percent of all American covid-19 deaths can now be attributed to the administration’s delay between March 2nd and March 16th.

This suffering cannot be forgotten. As of today, tens of thousands of Americans have lost their lives as a consequence of the administration’s failure to act sooner, so it’s no wonder the President excoriates reporters who ask him why he waited so long to implement the guidelines. Trump’s fallback when he is under scrutiny is to deflect, attack, and distract. But will this work when his decisions have led to a loss of American lives? How will the President be held responsible?

It’s all in the branding, that stuff the President himself does so well when he applies derisive nicknames to his rivals or attaches the name of a foreign power to a global pandemic. Accountability needs a brand, and the National Debt Clock is a helpful precedent. It demonstrates how to plant a symbolic flag in the numbers -- one that can’t be knocked over by bluster or misleading campaign videos. This pandemic is ongoing, and the lives already unnecessarily lost demand we seek more responsible crisis leadership. Just as the names of fallen soldiers are etched on memorials to remind us of the cost of war, quantifying the lives lost to President Trump’s delayed coronavirus response would serve a vital public function.

Designing a death clock must be based on mathematical models. The President and his defenders may wish to assign blame to other countries, individuals, and institutions. His detractors, on the other hand, may wish to assess the consequences of his statements, decisions, and actions earlier than March 2020. But a death clock must not reflect conjecture and needs to exist outside the news cycle, identifying only that portion of deaths which, according to experts, have resulted directly from the President and his team’s delayed response.

Conservatively, according to epidemiologists, had the Trump Administration simply implemented mitigation guidelines by March 9th, 2020, approximately 60 percent of American covid-19 deaths could have been avoided.

To let the numbers speak for themselves, my team and I have constructed an online counter at www.TrumpDeathClock.com, estimating the toll of the White House’s delayed response. The site displays both the number of people who have died in the country from covid-19 and an estimate of that portion whose lives would have been saved had the President and his administration acted just one week earlier.

What a powerful statement it would be if this clock could be displayed on billboards and projected on buildings in cities and small towns across America. This would begin to honor those who lost their lives and, in their memory, demand more responsive and responsible leadership.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Got my Trump letter where he is taking credit for advancing me my own tax refund money.

This guy is something else!

Would you describe it as a beautiful letter?  Trump likes his beautiful letters...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Horgan giving daily update at 3pm today.

Media expect him to reveal plans to re-open province including loosening social restrictions and restarting economy.

On a related note, my old hockey teammate told me his wife (a teacher) is being told to report back to work next week - there would be no reason for this other than they expect schools to re-open (to some degree).  Not sure how I would feel about this as a teacher (or parent of a school aged child) but logically, the economy cannot fully re-open without the provinces single largest child-care provider (that's not how I feel personally about school or teachers - but I know it's what a lot of society feel) being reopened also? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I hope they re-open hair salons soon before I become a resident of Mulletville.  

Here in Germany hair salons and others were allowed to open on Monday. Football matches will be allowed the weekend after next as well. Curious to see if that was the right time or too early. No way back now I guess.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Horgan giving daily update at 3pm today.

Media expect him to reveal plans to re-open province including loosening social restrictions and restarting economy.

On a related note, my old hockey teammate told me his wife (a teacher) is being told to report back to work next week - there would be no reason for this other than they expect schools to re-open (to some degree).  Not sure how I would feel about this as a teacher (or parent of a school aged child) but logically, the economy cannot fully re-open without the provinces single largest child-care provider (that's not how I feel personally about school or teachers - but I know it's what a lot of society feel) being reopened also? 

I have 11 grandchildren and I know my children will not be sending their kids back to school this soon. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Washington Post has created a website that tracks the number of deaths in the US that could have been avoided, had Trump not delayed and downplayed the severity of the pandemic. The figure is based on mathematical models, using input from experts in epidemiology:

https://trumpdeathclock.com/

For those with an version to clicking links, here is a screen shot, but bear in mind the number is growing as I type:

Trump Death Clock

Estimated Portion U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Due To POTUS Inaction
In January 2020, the Trump administration was advised that immediate action was required to stop the spread of COVID-19. According to NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci, “there was a lot of pushback” to this advice. President Trump declined to act until March 16th. Epidemiologists now estimate that, had mitigation measures been implemented one week earlier, 60% of American COVID-19 deaths would have been avoided.

The original story, that explains the genesis and methodology is here:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/opinions-trumps-covid-19-inaction-killed-americans-we-built-a-counter-to-find-how-many/ar-BB13GySU?li=AAggNb9

will it also factor in

aggressive too early reopening of so many states ?

or does he get a pass on that

since it is dependent on governor decisions primarily

(we all know trump wants to avoid all responsibility wherever possible}

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as much as I dislike the orange pig I just can't see this helping anyone. The alt-facts crowd won't care, they might even celebrate it somehow. People who do care will just feel more despair. 

It’ll help at The Hague.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I hope they re-open hair salons soon before I become a resident of Mulletville.  

Much longer and I won't be just a resident, I'm going to be Mayor of Mulletville.

Edit:  I know when he gets back to work, my barber is going to get the tip of all tips.

Edited by Wilbur

14 hours ago, wloutet said:

Just saw Governor Cuomo's comments ablout Mitch McConnell's statements about Blue States getting "Bail outs". I think Cuomo enjoys having a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent! LOL..

And McConnell likes to ruin America one judge at a time, stealing money from American taxpayers to gift his donors, he’s making money from the Trump administration for his “loyalty to the Don” and will be kicked out of the Senate, along with a dozen Republican criminals who are doing the same.

#cuomoforpresident

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

And McConnell likes to ruin America one judge at a time, stealing money for American taxpayers to gift his doners, he’s making money from the Trump administration for his “loyalty to the Don” and will be kicked out of the Senate, along with a dozen Republican criminals who are doing the same.

#cuomoforpresident

McConnell's Senate seat is being challenged in 2020, by a military veteran, (fighter pilot) named Amy McGrath.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/9/20687411/amy-mcgrath-announces-senate-race-mitch-mcconnell

Knocking off MM in deep Red Kentucky is a long shot, but who knows, maybe some of those so-called "patriots" believe that military service means something....

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

McConnell's Senate seat is being challenged in 2020, by a military veteran, (fighter pilot) named Amy McGrath.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/9/20687411/amy-mcgrath-announces-senate-race-mitch-mcconnell

Knocking off MM in deep Red Kentucky is a long shot, but who knows, maybe some of those so-called "patriots" believe that military service means something....

All his voters are watching TV right now. 
Not good for him, Trump, nor any Senator who grift and steel and degrade America for their own benefit.

Same with Collins out of Maine. She should’ve voted for Impeachment. Now instead of rescuing America, she has assured her own demise.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1