The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I wonder if the US is going to build a wall in honour of those who died of covid.

I hear the guy in charge lives building big beautiful walls

you know, the sob would probably do that on the US-Mex border if he could tap into a monument fund to get it done. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I wonder if the US is going to build a wall in honour of those who died of covid.

I hear the guy in charge lives building big beautiful walls

I like the idea of building it around the Trump Tower.....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

this is sort of a post about the virus and sort of not. last week my grandson's good friend he grew up with , a fun kid to be around, he had many dinners at my grandsons house.  well he had moved to Sask. recently and I guess was feeling really low. he went to the hospital , but I guess because of the virus , they sent him home to stay in a quiet place,  well he committed suicide,   maybe they should have listened harder to him. he was only 20 years old!  yes we have the virus to deal with, but we also need to take care of the people who are asking for help

thats awful Bree. These are the types of people (and younger teens) I'm worried are slipping through the cracks right now. We don't seem to have the bandwidth to look after everyone at the moment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

this is sort of a post about the virus and sort of not. last week my grandson's good friend he grew up with , a fun kid to be around, he had many dinners at my grandsons house.  well he had moved to Sask. recently and I guess was feeling really low. he went to the hospital , but I guess because of the virus , they sent him home to stay in a quiet place,  well he committed suicide,   maybe they should have listened harder to him. he was only 20 years old!  yes we have the virus to deal with, but we also need to take care of the people who are asking for help

Sorry to hear that Bree. We have issues with mental health care out here in Sask even well before the virus. Previous provincial governments promised money to improve the mental health care system and failed to follow through. Now we are paying for that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Does Sask. not have a Need Crisis line?

That is a sad story, and I do not want to make excuses for the hospital, but burnout is also a factor

That seem like a failure at triage

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Obfuscation isn't a game I play. You got something to say, go ahead and say it. You've added absolutely nothing to support your complaint. Just whining for the sake of whining. It's boring.

This game of verbal footsie you're engaging in is of no interest to me.

It’s samurai.

Expect nothing.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ireland deaths/1 million pop = 325

Netherlands deaths/1 million pop = 340

Belgium deaths/1 million pop = 801

UK deaths/1 million pop = 501

France deaths/1 million pop = 434

Those numbers don't tell much of a story, so many other variables are in play.  

As far as the Merrill lynch piece, that's one opinion,  The federal gov't, the Alberta provincial gov't and many others disagree and believe it's going to be years, if we ever get back to the way things were.  The company I consult for has a weekly call with these political parties as well as with Deloitte, discussing exactly this.  

To be honest I expected a better reply from you. The numbers do tell a lot of the story. Firstly, the Scandanavian countries are the appropriate comparable to Sweden because of similar lifestyles, health issues, diets, rates of obesity etc. The countries you list are not the appropriate comparable because of dissimilar lifestyles, health issues, diets, rates of obesity etc. Also, they were hit harder earlier. They had less time to develop their response. In fact the UK toyed with the idea of 'herd immunity' before they realized what a disaster that would be for them.

Saying there's other variables in play, then failing to list any is lazy. I get it's a hockey message board and not a university thesis but come on. A little effort to back up your argument is appreciated.

The Merrill piece isn't an opinion. It's a conclusion based on hard medical and financial data. What really was the economic benefit to Sweden over Denmark when the differences in Consumer Spending was -25% to -29%?

I don't know about you but I trust a research note from Merrill more than a government study. Look at the medical data coming out of some of the states down south, namely Florida and Georgia. It's blatant BS. Even our own Canadian government was muzzling scientists and manipulating data to serve their own purposes. So I am going to look at Government data on an issue as contentious as Lockdown policies with a jaundiced eye. I suggest you do the same.

As for suicides rates. There is a correlation between the unemployment rate and suicide. No one will argue that. Economic despair is a great cause of suicide. What I haven't heard anyone concerned about rising suicide rates acknowledge is the economic policy response this time around. I have seen arguments citing the suicide rates from the Spanish Flu pandemic and the Great Depression and comparing them with the Covid-19 pandemic and the current economic turmoil. Yes, suicide rates did rise in those times. What this argument fails to take into account  is the unprecedented economic response this time around compared to those times. That's a pretty big variable to omit.

Back then if you lost your job, there was a food line to stand in. That was about it. You were essentially on your own. Governments back then even dramatically raised interest rates choking off credit. Now there is an unprecedented economic response to the tune of trillions of dollars across the globe. Dropping interest rates to near zero, conducting massive quantitative easing operations. Governments paying citizens to stay home. Paycheck Protection Programs, Bailouts galore, Huge support for financial markets. Think anyone who's in the Nasdaq is suicidal over economic despair? Thanks to government intervention the Nasdaq is actually in the green for 2020. How ridiculous is that?

So  will suicide rates be comparable to those previous hardships? It's very doubtful.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I learned on Facebook that these photos are all fake and stuff because of perspective...and Obama

your sig is awesome

that kid... he is a social distance HERO!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well America....I mean if you're wondering why we want that border kept closed...

Yikes

98318424_4605467489464193_1430818339768238080_n.png

well, either you believe or you don't believe. If you don't believe, why social distance?

• Upvote 1