The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Doctor Bonnie

Sells out the school kids of BC and uses them as test projects for covid spread with children.  Providing kids and school staff. ZERO PPE for their safety....

Sells out the province by OK ing. NHL hockey players and familys to "Group Quarantine" here in Vancouver. 

I love hockey but it just isn't worth it to give billionaire owners  a few extra millions....    Just shut it down and do it right in 2021.

Has Dr. Bonnie lost the plot after such a  fantastic start ?

• Wat 1

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doctor Bonnie

Sells out the school kids of BC and uses them as test projects for covid spread with children.  Providing kids and school staff. ZERO PPE for their safety....

Sells out the province by OK ing. NHL hockey players and familys to "Group Quarantine" here in Vancouver. 

I love hockey but it just isn't worth it to give billionaire owners  a few extra millions....    Just shut it down and do it right in 2021.

Have we had a lot of new cases or deaths in the past week?

48 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doctor Bonnie

Dr. Bonnie for Prime Minister. :gocan:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

The stoppage causes a pretty big trickle down, it's not just billionaires losing money and out of work.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

The stoppage causes a pretty big trickle down, it's not just billionaires losing money and out of work.

With 8000 covid deaths in Canada....  2nd wave of infections now hitting more and more USA states and now other countries...

BC needs to stay focused.    It is no time to be opening up our province to infected visitors........  We do NOT want to let this virus expand across our wonderful province.

There is no concert, gathering   or tournament that is worth risking BC lives for. 

I'm not sure how to feel about this - Extending the CERB program to the 2021 will cost $100 Billion. OK. The NDP does not support fining or jailing those that defraud the government on purpose through the CERB program. I mean I don't want too many people to fall through the cracks, but the country was already in enough debt to begin with and what are tax rates going to look like after this ? Should we not have penalties for those that purposely take advantage of the social safety net system?  

Extending CERB until 2021 would cost Ottawa another $57B, more than double original estimates: PBO

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/extending-cerb-until-2021-would-cost-ottawa-another-57b-more-than-double-original-estimates-pbo/ar-BB15jzU4?ocid=msedgntp 

https://nationalpost.com/news/singh-says-ndp-wont-support-liberal-bill-that-would-jail-fine-cerb-fraudsters 

Singh says a bill the Liberals are proposing would hurt the very people that the CERB was designed to help — vulnerable people who have faced financial hardship because of COVID-19.

He also says it was hypocritical for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to take a knee on Parliament Hill during Friday’s nationwide anti-racism demonstrations while such a bill was being drafted.

He says the NDP was given a copy of the draft bill on the weekend by the Liberals, ahead of a sitting of the House of Commons tomorrow, and his party can’t support it as is.

Singh says new criminal penalties will hit poor and racialized people harder, and that the tax system should be used to recover funds that should not have been paid, rather than fining or jailing people during a pandemic.

46 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I'm not sure how to feel about this - Extending the CERB program to the 2021 will cost $100 Billion. OK. The NDP does not support fining or jailing those that defraud the government on purpose through the CERB program. I mean I don't want too many people to fall through the cracks, but the country was already in enough debt to begin with and what are tax rates going to look like after this ? Should we not have penalties for those that purposely take advantage of the social safety net system?  

Extending CERB until 2021 would cost Ottawa another $57B, more than double original estimates: PBO

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/extending-cerb-until-2021-would-cost-ottawa-another-57b-more-than-double-original-estimates-pbo/ar-BB15jzU4?ocid=msedgntp 

https://nationalpost.com/news/singh-says-ndp-wont-support-liberal-bill-that-would-jail-fine-cerb-fraudsters 

To me it seems more racist to presume the people defrauding the government/fellow taxpayers would be minorities. What in the actual &^@#? :lol:

Charging fraudsters with fraud is now racist... :picard:

• Cheers 2

I believe that JT clarified that people who genuinely made a mistake in claiming CERB would not be charged/fined, only those who could be clearly identified as fraudulently claiming.  That leaves a loophole big enough to drive a train through, so not sure what the risk is that the poor/marginalized would be targeted.  I'm all for people being charged if they are deliberately stealing from the program.  

Where it might become murky is people who I "heard" were applying for CERB from the DTES who probably wouldn't qualify as their income wasn't likely disrupted due to COVID.  Or taxable income at least.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skategal said:

I believe that JT clarified that people who genuinely made a mistake in claiming CERB would not be charged/fined, only those who could be clearly identified as fraudulently claiming.  That leaves a loophole big enough to drive a train through, so not sure what the risk is that the poor/marginalized would be targeted.  I'm all for people being charged if they are deliberately stealing from the program.  

Where it might become murky is people who I "heard" were applying for CERB from the DTES who probably wouldn't qualify as their income wasn't likely disrupted due to COVID.  Or taxable income at least.  

I believe it's why I was asked to submit my ROE (thought my employer had enough brains to have electronically filed it, but no).  To make sure.

To KOS:   I am of the "better safe than sorry" crowd but even I recognize that we have to start somewhere and it's baby steps that are carefully thought out before taken.  I trust in Dr. Bonnie...she weighs things out before proceeding and we have to believe in her judgement.

There's no avoiding this completely but it's all about containing it to a manageable level.  Even if school starts in September...it's still not going to be completely "ok" and this is a trial to ensure future safety and work out the kinks.

I mean, we're also somewhat responsible for our own health and safety...my boss didn't provide any PPE but I brought my own.  Right now you can get 50 masks at a store in Lansdowne for $30.00.  You can make one out of cloth.  Use a bandana that you wash when you get home.  Etc.  Hand sanitizer goes everywhere with me...have some in the car, my purse, etc.  You can get it for $3.99 so if you're not getting what you need at work, you don't have to go unprotected.

The hockey players/associates will be quarantined and carefully monitored.  

Slow and steady is something I am behind.  These decisions have not been rushed into from what I've seen and we've done well so far...no reason to feel that our health experts are willing to jeopardize that.  They are taking very measured steps in this.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2