The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

COVID-19: Canada to mandate temperature checks for air travel; New cases in Ontario drop below 200

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-canada-to-mandate-temperature-checks-for-air-travel-new-cases-in-ontario-drop-below-200/ar-BB15oD1D?li=AAggNb9

National

The federal government is going to mandate temperature screening for air travellers, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday.

A phased plan will see this requirement first applied to those flying to Canada, then those flying from Canada, and finally, those flying domestically.

“A passenger who has a fever will not be permitted to board their flight,” said Trudeau.

Employees in airports’ secured areas will also have to have their temperatures checked.

Trudeau also announced Canada is extending the deployment of Canadian Armed Forces members to hard-hit long-term care homes in Ontario and Quebec to June 26.“Our women and men in uniform are doing a remarkable job – Their help is still needed,” said Trudeau.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

Those pesky social conservatives.

It would have to be social conservatives; fiscal conservatives would recognize just how much money would be saved.

If addicts no longer need to break into peoples houses, to steal stuff to feed their habit, the costs of policing, judiciary, and insurance claims will go down.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

It would have to be social conservatives; fiscal conservatives would recognize just how much money would be saved.

If addicts no longer need to break into peoples houses, to steal stuff to feed their habit, the costs of policing, judiciary, and insurance claims will go down.

And the amount tax dollars they would save once the war on drugs came to an end.

42 minutes ago, gurn said:

Isn't that part of the argument for the call to defund the police?  Move some of that money to address problems at the creation end rather than at the conclusion end?  More money for addiction treatment, mental health treatment, social housing would reduce the amount of crime that needed to be addressed.  

This is a link to an interesting article allegedly written by a former police officer.  Identifies some of the police culture issues that bring us to where we are today.  It's written about American policing but I don't think some of the issues he describes are a lot different in Canada.  It's a long article so I only copied the first couple of paragraphs, will leave it to you whether to click the link to read the whole thing or not.  I know it's annoying when an entire article has to be scrolled through by others.  

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

I was a police officer for nearly ten years and I was a bastard. We all were.

This essay has been kicking around in my head for years now and I’ve never felt confident enough to write it. It’s a time in my life I’m ashamed of. It’s a time that I hurt people and, through inaction, allowed others to be hurt. It’s a time that I acted as a violent agent of capitalism and white supremacy. Under the guise of public safety, I personally ruined people’s lives but in so doing, made the public no safer… so did the family members and close friends of mine who also bore the badge alongside me.

But enough is enough.

The reforms aren’t working. Incrementalism isn’t happening. Unarmed Black, indigenous, and people of color are being killed by cops in the streets and the police are savagely attacking the people protesting these murders.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, skategal said:

Isn't that part of the argument for the call to defund the police?  Move some of that money to address problems at the creation end rather than at the conclusion end?  More money for addiction treatment, mental health treatment, social housing would reduce the amount of crime that needed to be addressed.  

This is a link to an interesting article allegedly written by a former police officer.  Identifies some of the police culture issues that bring us to where we are today.  It's written about American policing but I don't think some of the issues he describes are a lot different in Canada.  It's a long article so I only copied the first couple of paragraphs, will leave it to you whether to click the link to read the whole thing or not.  I know it's annoying when an entire article has to be scrolled through by others.  

This essay has been kicking around in my head for years now and I’ve never felt confident enough to write it. It’s a time in my life I’m ashamed of. It’s a time that I hurt people and, through inaction, allowed others to be hurt. It’s a time that I acted as a violent agent of capitalism and white supremacy. Under the guise of public safety, I personally ruined people’s lives but in so doing, made the public no safer… so did the family members and close friends of mine who also bore the badge alongside me.

But enough is enough.

The reforms aren’t working. Incrementalism isn’t happening. Unarmed Black, indigenous, and people of color are being killed by cops in the streets and the police are savagely attacking the people protesting these murders.

great article....thanks for posting.

There was one thing that reminded me of something that happened to me once:

Police officers will lie about the law, about what’s illegal, or about what they can legally do to you in order to manipulate you into doing what they want.

I was manager of a local bar and just after I walked in to start my shift, I was approached by a cop. He told me in an angry voice that a certain patron had just left the bar, to which I responded, "Okay.....so?"

Apparently the patron in question had recently been arrested on a drug charge and as a condition of his bail, was not allowed in drinking establishments.

Now let me just say that if this cop (or any other cop) had approached me earlier with a list and said, "These people are not supposed to be in bars. We'd appreciate it if you would ask them to leave when they come in.", I would have done so. But instead, I told this cop that enforcing conditions of bail was his job, not mine. This clown was essentially trying to bully me into doing his job and yes, he tried the old "You're legally required to do this".

It didn't wash. I asked him to have his staff sergeant, or someone else in authority provide me this order in writing, so I could pass it on to our General Manager, who would then run it by our legal department. Of course, no such document was ever forthcoming.

• Upvote 1

Since January, on average about 16,250 people have died from all causes in British Columbia (3000-3500 per month on average).

167, or 1% has been from covid.

Media needs to quit fear mongering and politicians need some common sense. Unfortunately, that turd trudeau will destroy Canada before this is all done.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Since January, on average about 16,250 people have died from all causes in British Columbia (3000-3500 per month on average).

Media needs to quit fear mongering and politicians need some common sense. Unfortunately, that turd trudeau will destroy Canada before this is all done.

Trudeau doesn’t control how BC handles this though, John Horgan and Bonnie Henry do. BC’s handling of this has been great, the rest of Canada got hit a lot harder. Not sure what BC’s low numbers have to do with the whole country. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Trudeau doesn’t control how BC handles this though, John Horgan and Bonnie Henry do. BC’s handling of this has been great, the rest of Canada got hit a lot harder. Not sure what BC’s low numbers have to do with the whole country. 

My comment with respect to turdeau is the 200 billion dollars he continues to give away and he increases it every other day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Would you rather be less restrictive like the USA? 

USA Population is about 330M. They are currently at 2M infected.  So about 0.6% get infected.  Death count of 115,000.  So about a death rate of 5.7% for those that get infected.

Canada population is 37M.  For 0.6% =  222,000 infected.  For 5.7% death rate =  12,540 death count for Canada.  However, the current death % hovers around 8%.  So it could be possibly up to 17,760 death count.  Right now the death count is about 8000.

Some food for thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

But enough is enough.

That was eye opening, disgusting, terrifying and hopeful all wrapped up into one essay.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

Would you rather be less restrictive like the USA? 

USA Population is about 330M. They are currently at 2M infected.  So about 0.6% get infected.  Death count of 115,000.  So about a death rate of 5.7% for those that get infected.

Canada population is 37M.  For 0.6% =  222,000 infected.  For 5.7% death rate =  12,540 death count for Canada.  However, the current death % hovers around 8%.  So it could be possibly up to 17,760 death count.  Right now the death count is about 8000.

Some food for thought.

I know hindsight is 20-20. I am not totally sure of what the answer is. But I do know that if we completely destroy the economy over this, things are going to get a hell of a lot worse for hundreds of thousands of people....not just 167.

30 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

My comment with respect to turdeau is the 200 billion dollars he continues to give away and he increases it every other day. 

JT is supporting families and individuals during a pandemic .   

If you want to live in a country that does not take care of citizens during natural disasters......   move south. 

Don't let the door slam on your butt on your  way out.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I know hindsight is 20-20. I am not totally sure of what the answer is. But I do know that if we completely destroy the economy over this, things are going to get a hell of a lot worse for hundreds of thousands of people....not just 167.

This pandemic is uncharted territory for everybody.

I think Canada is doing a good job to limit the spread and slowly revive our economy.  The economy was always going to take a hit.  Look no further than Sweden as proof.  That's the because the world now operates globally and not locally.  I can do without the extra CERB handout but the economy is slowly getting back to normal (ish).  It will take time and the debt will grow.  I predict for at least the next 2 years, we will be in a recession.  Our only hope is that this pandemic phases out (like SARs) and we can boost the economy via programs, incentives, and tourism.  What I don't want to see is big business bailouts only to see them leave Canada asap.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Look at all the trouble Justin Trudeau had to go thru just to get weed declared legal  (not saying that I don't agree with you...just that I don't see that happening soon).  

It looks like Justin is doing bad dope. Looking kinda scraggly on his 2 hour morning show. 

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Lol I mean I lost my job because of the pandemic as did a lot of other people I know so I really appreciate the financial support from the government. And if you didn’t lose your job that’s great but it also makes your opinion on the financial assistance kinda irrelevant.

Haha sure pal.

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Lol I mean I lost my job because of the pandemic as did a lot of other people I know so I really appreciate the financial support from the government. And if you didn’t lose your job that’s great but it also makes your opinion on the financial assistance kinda irrelevant.

So when its everyone's tax dollars contributing towards the program not everyone gets to have an opinion.. huh'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

So when its everyone's tax dollars contributing towards the program not everyone gets to have an opinion.. huh'

Sure you can have an opinion. But what’s your idea? Just let people run out of money and not be able to pay rent or afford food to save tax dollars? People are complaining about the money Trudeau is using to help those in need but not suggesting any alternative option to help those same people.

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1