The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Great that you are willing to put in the effort to think science and accept scientific norms.

However, there are far too many people who won't do something unless it's mandated by the government or required by law.  That's what kos is getting at, and why my wife is so upset at the Chief PHOs of both the federal government and the province - because of their refusal to accept the science that Asia has already confirmed and exercises, such as wearing masks and restricting travel (enforcing quarantine for new arrivals).

BC has instituted mandatory masks in public spaces/transit. Many BC businesses have instituted mandatory mask in their establishments, BC has ordered restrictions in travel. BC has shut down many places of business that are high risk for transmission. BC has codified fines for gatherings that contravene the health orders of private gatherings. 

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal responsibility!

All the ‘freedom fighters’ out there are literally asking/tempting for draconian style state overreach. Many who are the same ones that criticize the govt for impeding their ‘rights’.  It’s &^@#ing insane how the uneducated and ignorant are literally killing us. It’s not the govt. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alberta had mask mandates in Calgary and Edmonton months before BC had any...

Have you ever even been out of BC.....    You need to get out more and learn more about Canada... maybe wait till after covid though.. LOL. 

PS - I used to live in Edmonton...  great city.  great people. 

Yet they have higher Covid numbers than BC. Their mask mandates didn’t do sweet f all since they have more cases than BC. 

Yes, I’ve been out of BC. I’ve been to more places around the world, and Canada, than most. 

I’ve also been to Edmonton, and it’s nothing to write home about. Maybe that’s why you “used” to live in Edmonton. 

• Haha 2

Dr. B cracks me up....    Virus's don't differentiate between a mall and a school.......     

W

Masks are not recommended for children under the age of two, but should be encouraged for children aged two to 12 in public settings. Children over 12 must wear a mask in a public indoor space, unless they are exempt.

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, i have a bridge to sell you......

You really think kids don't get colds, flu  either.... wow...  you wanna buy a bridge.. ?

Is the bridge connected to your basement? 

If so, no thanks. I’d rather cross the River Styx

• Cheers 1

Are women less valued as  humans / workers than men ? Is that why women as less protected.....?

Dave Harper @southgateharper
· 45m

Of course it is because teachers are 75 % women. All the trades are better protected than teachers with a @WorkSafeBC mandate backing them up. Teachers get schmarmy platitudes. twitter.com/MovingParadigm…
Edited by kingofsurrey

Funny how we don't expect school kids to wear masks, when some are doing so already...........the G does not say you can't......do they?

This reminded me of a story I read about a African village..................

The address below. tells a similar story, about the lack of expectations we  place on our children...........

Its a quick read.....

Go Ahead, Give Your Toddler A Kitchen Knife : The Salt : NPR

Just a small point...........in KOS favor

Edited by janisahockeynut

55 minutes ago, FilthyRich said:

Oooof.  Just pulled a 12 hr shift with my mask on.  It's not easy being a chef , having to use taste and smell all the time, but I did it. Communication with the crew was a little difficult and was a little anxiety-inducing by the end but I'm not complaining, other than post shift beers in the parking lot.

Do your part people.

Talked to a parent who got Covid-19 in early September.   He got tested when he lost his sense of smell and taste.  Tested positive.   Recovered but still has not regained his sense of taste.  That's almost 3 months lost of taste.

Yikes!!!

Stay safe!!!

• Cheers 1

We have had first wave to study the virus and the method of squashing the virus doesn't work as economy had been wrecked due to the lockdown back in t he spring.  To preserve the economy and health of the population needs rethinking.  Masks do prevent but is not 100% foolproof as virus has spiked up even with people becoming aware of the virus itself.  There has been reports that people has been breaking the quarantine rules even when they had tested positive and sent home and still break the rules by going out when they are ordered to self-isolated and it didn't work.  

Here is my recommendation: build a temporary Covid-19 shelters for the population with the positive test and they cannot be allowed to go home until they get a negative test and is recovered completely.  We do not want to quarantine the healthy population and ruin the economy that way.  There is another way of taking the control is not allowing people to be sent home to self-isolate because they will still infect the other household members and that household members who has not been tested and is exposed to that virus by asymptotic and still infect other population as soon they step out of the household.  They would still go work with the fear of losing their job even if they don't show any symptoms  That is the reason why sending any infected individual cannot be trusted even if they are asymptotic when they received the positive result.

You might ask me, where do I get the idea?  I would cite the scripture in ancient Israel where leprosy was the most feared diseases   God instructed the people not to mingle the leprosy diseases around the general population but had set up their quarantine rules by sending the infected individual outside the camp for a week then examine after a week by a priest who is knowledgeable about the illness itself.   So this applies to any type of diseases where you would be quarantine at a hospital until you recover.  With the current provincial health order policy where people are being sent home after the result became positive and you could still spread the population when you drive home and inevitable spread Covid-19 around the household.  This is how you get the coronavirus spiked up quickly with the second wave where lockdown is not an option.  To remedy this issue is to send all positive test to a location where they stay for a week or two until they recover and they may go home and get back to normal life.   

I am not sure that vaccine would work over time as much as we all would love to because coronavirus tend to mutate and when this happens, it becomes ineffective.  So the bottom line is to control the virus, you need to have a stricter quarantine shelter for infected population, not the healthy ones.

54 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

And here lies my problem. If transmission is such an issue why are schools not only open, but don’t require masks?  Do children just naturally excel at social distancing, hand washing and general sanitizing that I didn’t know about. Also why are gyms still open?  Are they somehow “essential”. I don’t question that the people in charge are a lot smarter than me with regards to this virus and would like to point out I am following the rules but am starting to understand those who don’t. When rules don’t make sense it’s harder to get behind them. 

Gyms are essential . Plus everyone has to wear masks inside so no reason for them to shut down when schools are still open .

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Gyms are essential . Plus everyone has to wear masks inside so no reason for them to shut down when schools are still open .

Hi Silky...............Not sure if you are being serious or not........

But GYMs are not essential....................exercise is................not the same..............enjoy your walk!

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

We have had first wave to study the virus and the method of squashing the virus doesn't work as economy had been wrecked due to the lockdown back in t he spring.  To preserve the economy and health of the population needs rethinking.  Masks do prevent but is not 100% foolproof as virus has spiked up even with people becoming aware of the virus itself.  There has been reports that people has been breaking the quarantine rules even when they had tested positive and sent home and still break the rules by going out when they are ordered to self-isolated and it didn't work.  

Here is my recommendation: build a temporary Covid-19 shelters for the population with the positive test and they cannot be allowed to go home until they get a negative test and is recovered completely.  We do not want to quarantine the healthy population and ruin the economy that way.  There is another way of taking the control is not allowing people to be sent home to self-isolate because they will still infect the other household members and that household members who has not been tested and is exposed to that virus by asymptotic and still infect other population as soon they step out of the household.  They would still go work with the fear of losing their job even if they don't show any symptoms  That is the reason why sending any infected individual cannot be trusted even if they are asymptotic when they received the positive result.

You might ask me, where do I get the idea?  I would cite the scripture in ancient Israel where leprosy was the most feared diseases   God instructed the people not to mingle the leprosy diseases around the general population but had set up their quarantine rules by sending the infected individual outside the camp for a week then examine after a week by a priest who is knowledgeable about the illness itself.   So this applies to any type of diseases where you would be quarantine at a hospital until you recover.  With the current provincial health order policy where people are being sent home after the result became positive and you could still spread the population when you drive home and inevitable spread Covid-19 around the household.  This is how you get the coronavirus spiked up quickly with the second wave where lockdown is not an option.  To remedy this issue is to send all positive test to a location where they stay for a week or two until they recover and they may go home and get back to normal life.   

I am not sure that vaccine would work over time as much as we all would love to because coronavirus tend to mutate and when this happens, it becomes ineffective.  So the bottom line is to control the virus, you need to have a stricter quarantine shelter for infected population, not the healthy ones.

Why would your God make such a disease to kill his children. 

Doesn’t seem like a good parent. 

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are pubs also essential...  pubs are still open .... ?

Do they have provincial health guidelines covering their operations? 

Oh why yes, yes they do. 

How many people have contracted Covid-19 from pubs? I’ll wait for you to answer that. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Do they have provincial health guidelines covering their operations? 

Oh why yes, yes they do. 

How many people have contracted Covid-19 from pubs? I’ll wait for you to answer that. 

We will both have to wait for that info... because contact tracing is all but over now in BC due to huge infection rate.

Being told that you likely contacted a covid positive person 3 weeks ago.....  well that is not very useful.  

Do you also  believe in the Easter Bunny ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

28 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well Liquor stores sure the hell are! :emot-parrot:

Is in dining at  Cactus club also essential ?

France will begin to ease its strict coronavirus restrictions this weekend, allowing non-essential shops to reopen, President Emmanuel Macron has said.

People will also be able to share "moments with the family" over the Christmas period, Mr Macron announced.

But he said bars and restaurants would have to remain closed until 20 January.

France has reported more than 2.2 million cases and more than 50,000 confirmed coronavirus-related deaths since the start of the pandemic.

In a televised address on Tuesday evening, Mr Macron said the country had passed the peak of the second wave of virus infections.

He said that the bulk of lockdown restrictions would be eased from 15 December for the festive period, with cinemas reopening and general travel restrictions lifted, as long as new infections were at 5,000 a day or less.

On Monday, France reported 4,452 daily Covid-19 infections - its lowest tally since 28 September.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55062393

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are women less valued as  humans / workers than men ? Is that why women as less protected.....?

Dave Harper @southgateharper
· 45m

Of course it is because teachers are 75 % women. All the trades are better protected than teachers with a @WorkSafeBC mandate backing them up. Teachers get schmarmy platitudes. twitter.com/MovingParadigm…

Why would this have anything to do with gender? I don't think schools should be opened either and I think the teachers should be protected, but this has to be one of the stupidest things I've heard regarding gender. With this logic, immigrants from Vanuatu must be highly prized and worshipped because they probably account for 0.00001% of the population!

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

@kingofsurrey I saw your confused emoji. You don't see how a single number isn't enough? Let's look at this number and see how else we can skew it...

75% of teachers are female. So that's 3x more female teachers to every male teacher.

We can use this number to ask questions that are clearly not true but make it seem true: Can we automatically assume females are 3x more popular than males as teachers? Does that mean males have less of a chance at being a teacher?

We can even ask questions that are likely not true that should be true: Does that mean that there are 3x more female principals than males? Does that mean the total income of all female teachers equate to 3x more than males?

So, we can ask all of these questions based on 1 number: 75%. Some of these questions seem downright silly (as does implying there's less protection in the workforce because it's female). Some of these questions in an ideal world should be true but likely is not. But this 75% doesn't answer any of those questions. It's just a number. That's it. Jumping to anything further without any more numbers and/or facts doesn't raise a sound argument whatsoever.

I think the real answer why the teachers are less protected at the moment is simply because the schools are open and it's an attempt to keep the children receiving an education. I don't fully agree with doing things that way, but to suddenly jump to some conclusion to do with gender is extremist at best in this case. Yes, equality needs work, but let's not make arguments that have no right to even be there through all of this in the first place.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is in dining at  Cactus club also essential ?

France will begin to ease its strict coronavirus restrictions this weekend, allowing non-essential shops to reopen, President Emmanuel Macron has said.

People will also be able to share "moments with the family" over the Christmas period, Mr Macron announced.

But he said bars and restaurants would have to remain closed until 20 January.

France has reported more than 2.2 million cases and more than 50,000 confirmed coronavirus-related deaths since the start of the pandemic.

In a televised address on Tuesday evening, Mr Macron said the country had passed the peak of the second wave of virus infections.

He said that the bulk of lockdown restrictions would be eased from 15 December for the festive period, with cinemas reopening and general travel restrictions lifted, as long as new infections were at 5,000 a day or less.

On Monday, France reported 4,452 daily Covid-19 infections - its lowest tally since 28 September.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55062393

KOS.........I weary of this discussion

This is an imperfect science with imperfect decisions

It seems to me that all countries are trying their best

It seems that all districts in BC are a bouncing to their own drum

The decisions have little to do with the rise and fall

But they seem to put everyone on edge

This is to be expected, with all the sickness and death

People are worried and second guessing

This is normal.....I would imagine it is the same with the G and DR. H

But what I get is that you are working through this on CDC

and are very single minded

I get that, and I understand how upset your are.....it is ok

I am afraid too.........afraid for my mother, and my children

I am afraid for me, and I am afraid for you

But should and will do the best we can.....as I believe in my hearts of heart all will

Those that fail, and are punished will suffer their own fate

and no one will punish them more then themselves

It is a difficult time, one we have never before experienced in our lifetime

We should be afraid, but will survive, we must!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

@kingofsurrey

I think the real answer why the teachers are less protected at the moment is simply because the schools are open and it's an attempt to keep the children receiving an education. I don't fully agree with doing things that way, but to suddenly jump to some conclusion to do with gender is extremist at best in this case. Yes, equality needs work, but let's not make arguments that have no right to even be there through all of this in the first place.

Schools can be kept open and teachers can be kept safe..... both.   Just need social distancing, PPE , sinks  and plastic barriers.

BC government refuses to spend any money to keep teachers safe....  it  is just a choice.  Money is chosen over the safety of a largly female workforce.. teachers and teaching assistants...