The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So it's your fault....:angry:

I'm on holidays and I'm trying to get a back yard deck built....I've had one decent weather day since Friday and the forecast is calling for more rain all week.

I expect to see an ark float by, any day now....<_<

That's too bad! It's smoken hot here!

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

shhhhh....hahaha

Let's just hope your deck built goes well! Keep the rain away.

You don't need to worry about me "invading".

We had planned on traveling to Kelowna this summer, to visit my 86 year old mom. She just had to have pretty major surgery and is now in some sort of recovery facility. (I think she called it Cottonwoods?)

Needless to say, we're worried about her, but right now going to see her in person can only make things worse. We're staying home this year and hoping for next summer.

• Like 1

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to isolate.

Since March, I have gone to grocery store, out to play with my kids and I see my parents outside while we socially distance.

Haven’t been to any bars, I do pick up food from the restaurants.

I am not in my 20s but I am not that old either.

• Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You don't need to worry about me "invading".

We had planned on traveling to Kelowna this summer, to visit my 86 year old mom. She just had to have pretty major surgery and is now in some sort of recovery facility. (I think she called it Cottonwoods?)

Needless to say, we're worried about her, but right now going to see her in person can only make things worse. We're staying home this year and hoping for next summer.

Probably Cottonwoods. It’s a Long Term Care Facility they have a convalescence program to help with the transition from hospital to home - which I believe you may be referring to. 

FWIW, I work in Long Term Care in PG and we’re still on pretty tight lock down. If facilities in Kelowna are anything like the ones up here, she probably in the safest place she can be right now.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@stawns I just read an article about "Swarming season" and it had me wondering:

In the current environment would you go and collect a colony from someone's property?

Depends where it lands, most of them settle into tree branches, fence posts etc, so that's ok........I can get them without much interaction.  Ones under decks, under overhangs etc I wouldnt, no.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to isolate.

Since March, I have gone to grocery store, out to play with my kids and I see my parents outside while we socially distance.

Haven’t been to any bars, I do pick up food from the restaurants.

I am not in my 20s but I am not that old either.

We had a nice liveable balance happening in BC while we were in phase 2.  It wasn't easy and a lot of people were struggling, but with government help we were all getting by.  Now, with phase 3, that's all been wasted.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Here we are with that expectation that cases weren't going to eventually rise. This expectation that we could keep numbers as close to zero as possible indefinitely. The whole point of the measures the province put into place earlier was to prevent the hospital system from being overwhelmed and it worked flawlessly. 100 cases over 3 days in a province with over 5 million people is nothing. Assert the importance of masks and keep on keeping on. What, are we going to shut everything down again and start handing out free money? 

Way too level headed, Torts.  Another important stat is 18 hospitalizations; only 4 in ICU province wide.

Adjustments will be made in the coming week(s). Some businesses will need to be tightened up and there could be some closures. 

Every country that has reopened is showing upticks; including ones that have had the luxury of very flat curves.  It's all about living with the virus in our communities, all the while preventing the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed with patients.  It's a very awkward balance, but it can be done. 

• Like 2

Just now, higgyfan said:

Way too level headed, Torts.  Another important stat is 18 hospitalizations; only 4 in ICU province wide.

Adjustments will be made in the coming week(s). Some businesses will need to be tightened up and there could be some closures. 

Every country that has reopened is showing upticks; including ones that have had the luxury of very flat curves.  It's all about living with the virus in our communities, all the while preventing the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed with patients.  It's a very awkward balance, but it can be done. 

Keeping hospitalization numbers manageable was a secondary goal, the primary goal was keeping our most vulnerable safe.  A neo natal ICU breach should open our eyes.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Keeping hospitalization numbers manageable was a secondary goal, the primary goal was keeping our most vulnerable safe.  A neo natal ICU breach should open our eyes.

Turns out the most vulnerable were the elderly in care homes, but that was a problem long before covid came along.  If the hospitals become overwhelmed with covid patients, everyone becomes vulnerable.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

We had a nice liveable balance happening in BC while we were in phase 2.  It wasn't easy and a lot of people were struggling, but with government help we were all getting by.  Now, with phase 3, that's all been wasted.

People have gotten spoiled, especially some folks that think staying home is somehow difficult.

Even back home, youth has been crying about lack of freedoms, ability to have fun, being stressful etc.
Some would even say it’s like a war, sure it is, I can relate to that.

Few things are different though now than they were in the early 90s for me.
I have food, restaurants, amazon prime, blue apron, Netflix and bunch of other channels, cars, internet, water, electricity etc.

Oh yeah, I am not getting bombarded! 
&^@#in idiots!

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/20/21331060/anti-mask-groups-facebook-misinformation?fbclid=IwAR1FQdlcFXPZTRARd8u1aylwOwWF9xv-s7f8IXSeUObmDKqGeE7Vin9c49Y

Good.  I saw some of these clowns protesting here and they're a misinformed and hostile group. 

Let the door hit ya on the way out...

I wouldn’t mind something else hitting them!

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

People have gotten spoiled, especially some folks that think staying home is somehow difficult.

Even back home, youth has been crying about lack of freedoms, ability to have fun, being stressful etc.
Some would even say it’s like a war, sure it is, I can relate to that.

Few things are different though now than they were in the early 90s for me.
I have food, restaurants, amazon prime, blue apron, Netflix and bunch of other channels, cars, internet, water, electricity etc.

Oh yeah, I am not getting bombarded! 
&^@#in idiots!

My grandparents we t through the great depression, then fought the Nazis as teenagers/young adults.  I don't get why it's hard for these kids to play ball for the public good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The problem is the sudden surges that could explode.  

So a slight uptick is something we can "manage"...but when we go from 10 to 50, it's a matter of where those 50 have been and who they've come into contact with.  A rapid acceleration could happen if we're complacent.

If Dr. Bonnie's concerned (she is), we all should be.  She hasn't steered us wrong yet - she's known, all along, that we'd have upticks but it's surges that are worrying.

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/7f63c3a6-caec-11ea-8c30-0242ac110003/?jwsource=cl

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The problem is the sudden surges that could explode.  

So a slight uptick is something we can "manage"...but when we go from 10 to 50, it's a matter of where those 50 have been and who they've come into contact with.  

If Dr. Bonnie's concerned (she is), we all should be.  She hasn't steered us wrong yet - she's known, all along, that we'd have upticks but it's surges that are worrying.

I wouldn't say that........their early response was slow and wishy washy and now they've dropped the ball completely.  The only good part was in the middle.  She tries too hard to be nice about things

Edited by stawns
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1