The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

45 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They're making up for the downtime they experienced which I get. But I'm going elsewhere then. Haircuts are already expensive enough and half the time if you want a short fade they hack half your head off and you are done in 5 to 7 minutes. Hair dressers are supposed to clean up their station and utensils between customers anyway. Always have. There was no sanitation fee then. Maybe they're using clorox wipes now where they didn't before. Okay. That doesn't even remotely justify a $4 fee on top of an already overpriced service. Then if there is this expectation of a tip.. lol.

Just get the hair clipper electric set up from Costco.

Wham bam your head is shaved...  Easy peasy....  Been doing it for year.  Keep it simple.  Quick buzz with this set up takes about 5 minutes max. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

13 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

lol

a $4 sanitation charge for getting a haircut. Any covid related fees are going to remain indefinite. 

Oh, and you can forget about tips anymore. Including restaurants. Not that they should receive any tips to begin with. It's not my job to do your employers job.

Damn I didn't realize a spritz of bleach and 4 seconds of wipe down cost so damn much.  My hair dresser better not need that at her salon because I just give her a $20 bill each time for 5 years now lol.  I don't care more than 20 with me in there.

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Well said, Deb.  My kids are 20-22yrs and are taking the virus very seriously.  They keep to a small group of friends who are also following the guidelines.  These kids are (temporarily) sacrificing their lifestyle to protect their parents/grandparents and anyone else that will likely suffer if they get infected.  I think the young people that are neglecting the COVID-19 protocols are in the minority; otherwise there would be a much higher infection rate.

Most of us knew that the infection rate would increase with Phase 3, just as it has around the world.  Those of you that think Ont and Que are doing so well, should realize that both provinces entered more recently than BC.  Time will tell how that goes. 

I think our leaders have missed the boat by not having an approach specifically for the younger folks.  These kids are not following the Henry/Dix presentations and are kind of sketchy about watching the news.  They need to develop an approach that is designed by under 30yr olds; utilizing their language, social network(s) and any technology that is useful.  Get the message across in a way that's educational and meaningful to their peers. 

Mine too, but she is in the minority

22 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I would like to agree with you, but. How many press conferences have Dix/Henry had in the past 5 months? How many times have all of us been told to social distance, wear masks, and respect one another? I'm 72 years old, and my wife is diabetic, my son has medical issues. We also self isolated for over 3 months, no shopping, barely seeing our grandkids, friends, and whatever else we would have normally done. When I see these entitled brats hanging around Granville Street, gathering in Sturgis Dakota, gathering at tRump rallies, shopping in Costco etc., it makes my blood boil. It's not just the 20-40 age group, its all ages. The time has come for all of us to quit relying on Government to tell us what to do. I believe they've tried as much as they could possibly can, without holding peoples hands. I don't think that should be up to Government anymore.

Hearing this from someone who is in the "vulnerable" population, in addition to your family, is important for everyone. It's unfortunate this has gotten to a point where it doesn't seem as if there is any end in sight with regards to going back to life the way it was previously. A few points I thought to address to you as I'm curious to get people within this group's take on the state of what's going on: 

- When you mention that you've self isolated for over 3 months, is this currently still happening? The reason I'm asking this, if you are still isolating, is to understand at what point you'll feel comfortable with no longer isolating. 

- Given age/health condition/etc, your family would be classified as the population that we are trying to protect with all these measures. Do you ever get a sense that these measures are actually more harmful than beneficial in the long run? It's quite likely that for at least the next 2 years that being able to have large family gatherings, hugging family members you haven't seen for awhile, and traveling internationally are things that won't be able to happen. Perhaps even 5+ years. The mental health/psychological implications of these measures, in my opinion, will outweigh any physiological impact from this disease when we look back on it. 

- When you refer to brats/people engaging in social interactions that would be deemed irresponsible and inappropriate, one thing I wanted to point out was that even without these interactions, COVID would never be eradicated/eliminated - ie. there would always be the existence of the virus and the risk of transmission. I don't want to draw direct comparisons to influenza, but every year during the flu season there is the existence of this virus and the risk of transmission (and the complications that go along with it, which can be quite traumatic for immunocompromised people as well). My point here is that if you think that the goal is complete eradication, that this is not a realistic end-game, even when a vaccine is introduced. 

- And finally, just as a final follow up, what would you say your take is on how this will all end? Will we be wearing masks indefinitely in grocery stores? Will we not be able to watch an NHL game with a full arena and without masks for the next 5+ years? Is there a point where you and your family will look at each other and say "we're over it" because life's too short (I mean for everyone, not because of your health history)?

Overall, 6 months after the start of the pandemic, I'm at a point where I really don't know what the end-game is here, and that this is how life will be for at least the next 5+ years. It's concerning to me because the economical and psychological impact is already bigger than the health implications, and this will continue to destroy our society now and in the long term.

Would love to get your take and thoughts on all this given your representation of the demographic we are all trying to protect. For reference, I'm a healthy 30 something male. 

55 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Overall, 6 months after the start of the pandemic, I'm at a point where I really don't know what the end-game is here, and that this is how life will be for at least the next 5+ years. It's concerning to me because the economical and psychological impact is already bigger than the health implications, and this will continue to destroy our society now and in the long term.. 

We've never really had a true lockdown in this country during this though.  People during WWII here had it much worse (excluding obviously where WWII hit countries directly on their lands).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

Would love to get your take and thoughts on all this given your representation of the demographic we are all trying to protect. For reference, I'm a healthy 30 something male. 

I think the plan here is to limit transmissions now to save lives and long term medical conditions -  now.....    buy time for a vaccine to be developed....

Then vacinate .... and hopefully covid can be eliminated....  maybe a booster shot every year.

That is the short term and long term plan as i see it. 

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think the plan here is to limit transmissions now to save lives and long term medical conditions -  now.....    buy time for a vaccine to be developed....

Then vacinate .... and hopefully covid can be eliminated....  maybe a booster shot every year.

That is the short term and long term plan as i see it. 

unless enough anti-vaxxers get their way, and enough covid stays in the population to mutate and we're right back where we started. 

35 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

unless enough anti-vaxxers get their way, and enough covid stays in the population to mutate and we're right back where we started. 

I don't see it like that.  As long as 70% or higher get vacinated..... and booster shots yearly....   I don't see Covid really having a huge impact.

At that point , it would just eliminate the anti vaxxers... so heh, pros and cons right ?

I would love a  gov issued wallet card for vaccinated people... YOu show your card and you can attend Canucks games / large concerts..

No card  - not allowed in.   If getting vaxed is a choice... well then business should have the choice to not allow anti vax people into their business.

Edited by kingofsurrey

Schools across eight counties in Mississippi opened their doors to students and teachers on August 17. 

One day later, 2,035 students and 589 teachers were quarantined for two weeks after being exposed to the coronavirus, the local CBS affiliate WJTV reported. State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said that 199 students and 245 teachers across 71 counties have been infected by COVID-19.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mississippi-quarantines-more-2-000-224528239.html

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't see it like that.  As long as 70% or higher get vacinated..... and booster shots yearly....   I don't see Covid really having a huge impact.

At that point , it would just eliminate the anti vaxxers... so heh, pros and cons right ?

I would love a  gov issued wallet card for vaccinated people... YOu show your card and you can attend Canucks games / large concerts..

No card  - not allowed in.   If getting vaxed is a choice... well then business should have the choice to not allow anti vax people into their business.

you absolutely should have to show proof of vaccination to go to a large event. 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Schools across eight counties in Mississippi opened their doors to students and teachers on August 17. 

One day later, 2,035 students and 589 teachers were quarantined for two weeks after being exposed to the coronavirus, the local CBS affiliate WJTV reported. State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said that 199 students and 245 teachers across 71 counties have been infected by COVID-19.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mississippi-quarantines-more-2-000-224528239.html

That is exactly the reason I made the decision a couple days ago to home school my kids this year unless the school district offers some form of remote learning.  Too many reports of things like that happening.  Hopefully the BCTF stands strong against the current plan as it stands.  Sounds like they aren't happy so we'll see what happens.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, LesPaul81 said:

That is exactly the reason I made the decision a couple days ago to home school my kids this year unless the school district offers some form of remote learning.  Too many reports of things like that happening.  Hopefully the BCTF stands strong against the current plan as it stands.  Sounds like they aren't happy so we'll see what happens.

You have obviously never been to Mississippi because using it as a reference for BC is very bizarre.  One of the poorest States in the US. First or second depends which data you use. Close to 20% of the population lives in poverty.  Sounds like BC?

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, samurai said:

You have obviously never been to Mississippi because using it as a reference for BC is very bizarre.  One of the poorest States in the US. First or second depends which data you use. Close to 20% of the population lives in poverty.  Sounds like BC?

Sounds pretty much exactly like BC actually...

I never realized that a virus prefered to attack people that are poor... Does covid have access to our banking info ? Did you see this on Fox news ?

20.3%

In 2016, the child poverty rate in British Columbia was 20.3%, as measured by Statistics Canada's Census Family Low Income Measure (CFLIM) after income taxes, using taxfiler data. This represents 172,550, or one in five, BC children 0-17 years old living in poverty.Nov 5, 2018

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

No, I haven't been to Mississippi and I wasn't comparing Mississippi to BC, I was talking about opening schools and having a high number of exposures resulting in quarantines.

What does poverty have to do with contracting Covid?

• Wat 1

45 minutes ago, LesPaul81 said:

No, I haven't been to Mississippi and I wasn't comparing Mississippi to BC, I was talking about opening schools and having a high number of exposures resulting in quarantines.

What does poverty have to do with contracting Covid?

You are no serious about the last question?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-52920591

Typically with schools in areas of poverty you have overcrowding, poor facilities,  lack of resources for hygiene maintenance (cleaning) and so forth.  Not to mention kids living in situations described in the video.   Mississippi is not a good reference for BC at all.   46% of African American students live in poverty in that state.  African Americans  represent close to 40% of the total population.  

I am in Japan, in May, 18 million kids 5-18 years old went back to school full time until the last week of July.   And they went back this week again after a two week break.  During that time one cluster was identified at a university.  They were rugby players living together in the same dorm.  60 of 170 or so tested positive - all mild or no symptoms.  To date no cluster or break out has occurred at any primary or secondary school here.   There was no option to remote learn here. 

Edited by samurai
  • Like 1

We now have the best evidence yet that everyone develops long-term coronavirus immunity after infection — and it's not just about antibodies
https://www.businessinsider.com/long-term-coronavirus-immunity-t-cells-2020-8

A rather remarkable paper considering many authors involved are closely linked to the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, which plays a major part in deciding who receives the Nobel Prize in Medicine each year.

This also shows why antibody testing isn’t the be-all, end-all by any measure...as you could very well be immune and not show a positive antibody test.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1