The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 hours ago, Russ said:

What room has no windows?  Gotta find an old ass school because theres NO way that would ever be to code.  All the schools I went to had plenty of windows.  And I am sure there will be sanitizer, simple things like that I am sure classrooms will be stocked with, not like we ever didn't have soap or paper, etc when I was in school.  In June my buddy went back to school to teach, and he couldn't believe how much they had upped the cleaning compared to prior.  

my room has no windows, neither do 4 other classrooms in our school

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Well now ... BC superstores are now safer than BC schools....  WOW our kids deserve better...........

BC has the worst school restart  plan of any canadian province....  why ?

Real Canadian Superstore is the latest company to make masks mandatory in its stores. Masks will be needed at all locations starting next Saturday. The company has about 30 stores in BC. @NEWS1130

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, Russ said:

Weird never been to a school without windows in all the classrooms. 

to be fair,my school was built in 1955 and has had many weird additions over the years.  But, we do have a library and 4 classrooms that have zero windows

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

to be fair,my school was built in 1955 and has had many weird additions over the years.  But, we do have a library and 4 classrooms that have zero windows

Ah yes I can see that then, my elementary had some weird ass additions but nothing like that where they cut off outside access.  I think most I have been in are probably 70s+

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ah yes I can see that then, my elementary had some weird ass additions but nothing like that where they cut off outside access.  I think most I have been in are probably 70s+

it's basically a square that had a courtyard in the centre at one time.  The courtyard is now the library (where I work) and there's an inner ring of classrooms connected to the library that have no windows

19 hours ago, Russ said:

What room has no windows?  Gotta find an old ass school because theres NO way that would ever be to code.  All the schools I went to had plenty of windows. 

Not a single classroom in my high school had windows - only the library and administrators offices had windows - and this high school currently has over 1200 kids attending. 

The elementary school that my nephew goes to right now has no windows in the classrooms - again, only windows in the library and the office and this school has about 400 kids attending.

There are a LOT of these types of schools in the province and they aren't going to spend hundreds of millions (yes, that would be a very conservative estimate imo) to retrofit these types of buildings with the proper HVAC they'd need to be effective against the virus. 

I understand the argument for proper ventilation of buildings but if you look at it from a practical point of view, this is NOT a solution for MOST public schools in BC therefore the only alternative would be smaller class sizes to reduce the proximity of students/staff - not to mention this is an EASY solution (part-time and/or alternate day attendance) which would not require any cost for infrastructure - yes, I understand the cost to families who are hoping to send their kids back full-time, but there has to be a compromise somewhere in the system since we're not going back to 'normal' without endangering people. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not a single classroom in my high school had windows - only the library and administrators offices had windows - and this high school currently has over 1200 kids attending. 

The elementary school that my nephew goes to right now has no windows in the classrooms - again, only windows in the library and the office and this school has about 400 kids attending.

There are a LOT of these types of schools in the province and they aren't going to spend hundreds of millions (yes, that would be a very conservative estimate imo) to retrofit these types of buildings with the proper HVAC they'd need to be effective against the virus. 

I understand the argument for proper ventilation of buildings but if you look at it from a practical point of view, this is NOT a solution for MOST public schools in BC therefore the only alternative would be smaller class sizes to reduce the proximity of students/staff - not to mention this is an EASY solution (part-time and/or alternate day attendance) which would not require any cost for infrastructure - yes, I understand the cost to families who are hoping to send their kids back full-time, but there has to be a compromise somewhere in the system since we're not going back to 'normal' without endangering people. 

In my opinion, if they are so set on ful time school, five days a week, they should have been working hard to add many portables at every school and hired more teachers..........there should be no more than 15 in a classroom.  Even 15 is a stretch.  I'm baffled at how we are going to fit 30 kids in a classroom and maintain anykind of distance

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Weird never been to a school without windows in all the classrooms. 

Lots of highschools have classrooms without windows.  Poor ventilation in school classrooms is also another major issue.

Edited by kingofsurrey

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

In my opinion, if they are so set on ful time school, five days a week, they should have been working hard to add many portables at every school and hired more teachers..........there should be no more than 15 in a classroom.  Even 15 is a stretch.  I'm baffled at how we are going to fit 30 kids in a classroom and maintain anykind of distance

According to Dr. B 

Kids can only get together  in large groups at school.... where it is then very safe...

Beach = unsafe

Poor ventilated room with no windows =  safe

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Hot off the press -today on BBC.

Dr. B needs to follow the WHO ... don't you think.. ?

The World Health Organization (WHO) has issued guidance saying children over the age of 12 should wear masks, in line with recommended practice for adults in their country or area.

It admits little is known about how children transmit the virus but cites evidence that teenagers can infect others in the same way as adults.

Children aged five and under should not normally wear masks, the WHO said.

More than 800,000 people have now died with coronavirus worldwide.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53877292

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

Many people are gonna die.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Many people are gonna die.

I'm honestly not sure how it's going to play out.  I know, as of right now, I don't feel that safe going back.  An email from out local teachers association says elementary, in our district, will be close to "normal"..........despite higher numbers than when we shut down.  WE do know a lot more about the virus and how to minimize risk, but we've kept our kids mostly sheltered for the last 6 months, we have no idea how they will affect transmission levels.  Given that a school is a virus factory in normal times, I can't imagine that will improve with covid.

The cardinal rule in teaching is start strict in september and ease upas the year moves on.........I don't get why we aren't starting with extreme caution in September and easing up as the year moves along and we can see how it goes.  If the virus gets in and gets a foothold in schools, you can't put that genie back in the bottle

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

it's basically a square that had a courtyard in the centre at one time.  The courtyard is now the library (where I work) and there's an inner ring of classrooms connected to the library that have no windows

four yorkshiremen | Tumblr

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm honestly not sure how it's going to play out.  I know, as of right now, I don't feel that safe going back.  An email from out local teachers association says elementary, in our district, will be close to "normal"..........despite higher numbers than when we shut down.  WE do know a lot more about the virus and how to minimize risk, but we've kept our kids mostly sheltered for the last 6 months, we have no idea how they will affect transmission levels.  Given that a school is a virus factory in normal times, I can't imagine that will improve with covid.

The cardinal rule in teaching is start strict in september and ease upas the year moves on.........I don't get why we aren't starting with extreme caution in September and easing up as the year moves along and we can see how it goes.  If the virus gets in and gets a foothold in schools, you can't put that genie back in the bottle

My university department might go back starting first week on September. Staggered implementation. Which makes zero sense. If we're doing that then why'd we leave in the first place. And those who are there might as well be at home because most people will still need to be at home and you need to be online to collaborate with those people who are at home. So again.. why are we going back if we were so scared that we left in the first place. Nothing has changed; in fact it's worse now than it was at the start of all this. #logic