The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Iran: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

514 / 11364 = 4.5%

Italy: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/declares-coronavirus-global-pandemic-live-updates-200311235023766.html

1016 / 15113 = 6.7%

Yet China still posts that wonderful 2%. I wonder who I believe. 

Oh just stop with the fear mongering of higher numbers.

First of all, the infection numbers for all countries are severely understated because many, many people with mild to no symptoms don't get reported as they don't go get checked.  Countries that don't have healthcare also have the same issue as it also costs a lot to get checked when there's no health insurance (ie. USA).

Second of all, take out China, Iran, and Italy's numbers and you have a 1.3% death rate (413 deaths / 32328 infected) worldwide right now.  MUCH closer to the 2% reported from China than the high numbers out of Italy and Iran.  So unless you think the other 112+ countries are ALSO lying, the Iran and Italy numbers just haven't averaged out yet due to under-reporting of infected cases so far.

So what I believe is the death rate is somewhere between 1 and 2% right now.  When the dust settles, I'm willing to bet the death rate will be 1% or lower.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ok, sure we can talk the positives. Hong Kong has rallied from this, their numbers are way down. Self-isolated early on and kept people from crowding. South Korea does have the best ability to test cases in the world, I wish Canada reflected that in the slightest.

you are obtuse and missing the point

you insist on percentages that are taken out of context

get serious or stop posting nonsense

"We Are Treated Worse Than Garbage": Italian Families Stuck Inside With Bodies Of Dead Spouses As Nationwide Lockdown Begins

Thanks in part to President Trump's nonchalant initial response (though as he demonstrated during last night's Oval Office press conference, the president has changed his tune - or at least it appears that way), millions of Americans still believe the coronavirus is - worst case - like a bad flu.

Actors Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson inadvertently amplified this idea when they reported feeling "a little achey" after testing positive for the virus in Australia.

But after reading this desperate plea from an Italian citizen whose sister succumbed to Covid-19 before ever making it to a hospital, hopefully they'll understand what's really at stake here. As Dr. Scott Gottlieb said earlier on CNBC: It's probably too late for America to be South Korea (aka taking swift steps to contain the outbreaks before they get out of control), but we don't have to be Italy.

When his sister died after contracting the novel coronavirus, Luca Franzese thought that things couldn’t get much worse.

Then, for more than 36 hours, the Italian actor and mixed martial arts trainer was trapped at home with Teresa Franzese’s decaying body, unable to find a funeral home that would bury her.

"I have my sister in bed, dead, I don’t know what to do," Franzese said in a Facebook video over the weekend, pleading for help. "I cannot give her the honor she deserves because the institutions have abandoned me. I contacted everyone, but nobody was able to give me an answer."

more in the link (not going to post video of a corpse)

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/we-are-treated-worse-garbage-italian-families-locked-inside-bodies-dead-spouses

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh just stop with the fear mongering of higher numbers.

First of all, the infection numbers for all countries are severely understated because many, many people with mild to no symptoms don't get reported as they don't go get checked.  Countries that don't have healthcare also have the same issue as it also costs a lot to get checked when there's no health insurance (ie. USA).

Second of all, take out China, Iran, and Italy's numbers and you have a 1.3% death rate (413 deaths / 32328 infected) worldwide right now.  MUCH closer to the 2% reported from China than the high numbers out of Italy and Iran.  So unless you think the other 112+ countries are ALSO lying, the Iran and Italy numbers just haven't averaged out yet due to under-reporting of infected cases so far.

So what I believe is the death rate is somewhere between 1 and 2% right now.  When the dust settles, I'm willing to bet the death rate will be 1% or lower.

'take out China, Iran, and Italy's numbers' you lost me right there. Talk about convenient. The Spanish flu was 2.5%, so your lower estimates don't make me feel any better.

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you appear to have some sort of different issue

or need

to simply post links to create anxiety

show some responsibility and maturity on this issue

why is your approach "fun" for you ???

It's not 'fun' I just genuinely believe the positive crowd on here is being intentionally ignorant. Hear both sides, make a discussion. Do not accuse me of fear mongering or enjoying this.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

good idea to call 811

if i recall, you are young

and likely not really in the higher risk group, even with asthma

but good to be cautious and thorough

if you need to be off sick for a while

i'm sure you will find in the near future

there will be many others off as well

and online support groups can develop

since you are early in the process

i think you are tasked with setting up some sort of group on this site

I am 41 but I guess that is still youngish. I  do act and look younger but that is because I steal TS youth lol

I am sure its probably just a cold bugging my asthma but since I work with a 15 month old I wanted to be careful.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It's not 'fun' I just genuinely believe the positive crowd on here is being intentionally ignorant. Hear both sides, make a discussion. Do not accuse me of fear mongering or enjoying this.

there are not "two sides". There's just the facts. You seem intent on cherry picking ideas that scare people or discredit what the Canadian government is doing. Why? only you know the answer to that. 

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You only need to get tested if you have:

- a cough

- trouble breathing

- fever

Most people do not have all 3. I am off with a cold now but no fever just fyi.

Well I'm 2/3 so can probably understand why I'm a but worried about going into the office.. 

Fever for three days, fever and cough for 1 day (yesterday), shortness of breath.. today? I doubt it but just saying there can be reason to worry before one has all the symptoms. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Well I'm 2/3 so can probably understand why I'm a but worried about going into the office.. 

Fever for three days, fever and cough for 1 day (yesterday), shortness of breath.. today? I doubt it but just saying there can be reason to worry before one has all the symptoms. 

if you are in bc

call 8-1-1

for additional information and guidance

• Thanks 1

Fri 13 Mar 2020 15:37:40 GMT

Differing reports

The Brazilian President's son says his dad tested negative for the virus. The Presidents facebook page also says he's tested negative.

Earlier reports said he was positive.

There are going to be conspiracy theories around this like there was with Xi. I wonder if there is more value in being transparent or hiding a case of a head-of-state getting it. Politicians are notoriously paranoid about holding onto power and appearing healthy.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:
Fri 13 Mar 2020 15:37:40 GMT

Differing reports

The Brazilian President's son says his dad tested negative for the virus. The Presidents facebook page also says he's tested negative.

Earlier reports said he was positive.

There are going to be conspiracy theories around this like there was with Xi. I wonder if there is more value in being transparent or hiding a case of a head-of-state getting it. Politicians are notoriously paranoid about holding onto power and appearing healthy.

makes me glad we're in Canada, and have aa government that tells the truth on these topics. Sophie Trudeau's test results could have been hidden but they did the right thing. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I am probably the only person looking forward to more poker content on tv.  They play the same three WPT tourneys so much so that I have memorized most the hands.

I  bet  you feel like a hold em ace when you're watching! :lol:

34 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Haven't posted anything speculative. Stating my opinions on the matter. Stating the fact that flights are still inbound. 

Seriously, this is a hockey chat site.  Why would anyone believe anything here?  It would be like posting a sign on the Lion’s Gate bridge stating, “if others tell you to jump off, don’t do it.”  Let’s have fun here, right?  

• Haha 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Seems odd that BC hasn't been shutting down more facilities like the Aquarium, art gallery, and other places where people would flock to in large numbers.

it has to do more with the ability to create social distance then that people go to a location in numbers

a lot of those facilities can avoid crowding of attendees

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there are not "two sides". There's just the facts. You seem intent on cherry picking ideas that scare people or discredit what the Canadian government is doing. Why? only you know the answer to that. 

I've presented facts. Irans numbers, facts. Italy's  numbers, facts. YVR arrivalss, facts. ICU bed numbers from an academic source, facts. You seem more inclined to cherry pick by ignoring all these.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

if you are in bc

call 8-1-1

for additional information and guidance

Thank you. I do think it is just a bad flu as my cough has not been worsening. 

I just find it a bit silly that people with a minor cold are telling others with a severe fever and coughing not to worry just because don't have shortness of breath.. as far as I know pneumonia would be a latter developments of the virus and that is what would cause shortness of breath. 

• Like 1