The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, samurai said:

And the fact that the OP thinks there is scientific agreement about the seriousness of the virus tells you another thing about 'openness' in our society.    

Do you feel there is not a near scientific consensus about the virility, seriousness and or potential lethality of this virus?

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Oct 19.- Nov. 17th .... will it. be a repeat...

kelowna-record-spanish-flu-1918-screen_s

At this time there was also 'War Measures Act' which gave gov't the power to do anything it wanted.  Civil liberties basically didn't exist in Canada during this period nor most countries.   

https://globalnews.ca/news/7363637/nhl-bubble-model-2020-2021-season/

The 64 days spent in the NHL playoff bubble feel like six months to Barclay Goodrow.

“It’s tough,” the Tampa Bay Lightning forward said. “It’s been a grind.”

It’s a grind he and players won’t do again next season. The league and Players’ Association will meet within the next two weeks to discuss the many possibilities of what the 2020-21 season could look like, but there’s no desire to stage it entirely within quarantined bubbles.

“Certainly not for a season, of course not,” NHLPA executive director Don Fehr told The Associated Press on Sunday.

“Nobody is going to do that for four months or six months or something like that. Whether we could create some protected environments that people would be tested and they’d be clean when they came in and lasted for some substantially shorter period of time with people cycling in and out is one of the things I suspect we will examine.”

Not long after the Stanley Cup is awarded, which could be as soon as Monday night if the Lightning beat the Dallas Stars in Game 6 of the final, the two sides will talk about when next season might start, how many games might be possible, what testing and protocols might be required and whether fans might be allowed into buildings at some capacity at some point.

Click to play video 'Edmonton’s hub city bubble deflating as playoffs wind down'Edmonton’s hub city bubble deflating as playoffs wind down

Edmonton’s hub city bubble deflating as playoffs wind down

A week after Commissioner Gary Bettman said a mid-to-late December or January start was possible, Fehr agreed that the tentative Dec. 1 opening night target date was the “earliest conceivable date” the season could start and there’s good reason to believe it’ll be later.

The NHLPA is in the process of finalizing a committee to start answering the myriad of questions hockey faces in trying to get another season going. And while that and negotiations will begin quickly, the league and players are on the same page, that just like the return to play plan, they want to take time to get this right.

“Nobody is going to rush it,” Fehr said.

It helps the NHL has some time and an opportunity to monitor the NFL, Major League Baseball and college athletics for what’s working and not working in those sports.

But the NHL is the most dependent on attendance, which Bettman said affects at least 50 per cent of revenues. It needs fans, but might not be able to get them in all 31 buildings.

“On whatever basis we may or may not be able to have fans in our buildings is something that may be well beyond our control in terms of local government regulations that will determine how much the shortfall is off of where we were and off of where we were projecting,” Bettman said Sept. 19.

The league and players negotiated a long-term extension of the collective bargaining agreement knowing projections for at least next season would be much different given the global pandemic. If each team can’t play 82 games with some fans at some point, everyone is likely to take an even bigger financial hit than expected, which could affect player salaries.

“Players are adults. They understand,” Fehr said. “They may not like it. They may grumble, and they may wish it was different. I’m sure owners do. I’m sure fans do. I’m sure everybody does. Nobody likes what we’re living through. But you don’t gain anything by sugar coating or being less blunt than otherwise would be the case.”

Players leaving the playoff bubble were blunt that they don’t want to go through that kind of extended isolation again. Vegas forward Max Pacioretty was among them, saying, “I hope we don’t have to do that again.”

“I hope the world takes a turn for the better here and hopefully get some normalcy back,” Pacioretty said.

With a true return to normalcy a long time away, everyone may have to make some sacrifices to get back on the ice. The Canadian border plays a factor and might require a rejiggered schedule with shorter or limited travel, like baseball did with its 60-game season.

The NHL could get to 60 games and hand out the Stanley Cup before the planned start of the now 2021 Tokyo Olympics. NBC is the NHL’s U.S. TV rightsholder and also airs the Olympics. Of course, it’s conceivable there’s no season because owners would lose tens of millions of dollars without fans, but Fehr doesn’t believe that’s likely.

“In this world we live in, I think anything is possible, but I think it’s pretty remote,” he said. “What we have to do is basically proceed on the assumption that there will be a season, that we can figure out how to do it and how do we do it in a way which provides the requisite health and safety for players and staff and broadcasters and (reporters) and the fans once we can get them back in the arenas, but at the same time has some integrity. That’ll be the task.”

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Looks like 2021 is starting to look like 2020.

I assumed it would, sadly. 

I'm actually very, very surprised my neighbor told me his kid's rep hockey team just got the OK from their health authority to play a tournament with teams from all over the lower mainland/Fraser valley - very surprised. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm actually very, very surprised my neighbor told me his kid's rep hockey team just got the OK from their health authority to play a tournament with teams from all over the lower mainland/Fraser valley - very surprised. 

yeah.......not business as usual, but certainly not the cautious approach.  

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Covid Cup ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

On 9/29/2020 at 8:43 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

University says we're at home until end of 2021 winter session at least.

I was in an online meeting yesterday with representatives from Langara, Camosun, SAIT, VIU, UVIC and a few others.

Next school year at the very earliest was the consensus.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, samurai said:

People were locked down in the winter/spring. And in some countries that has started again  This was done without consent and done without any proper debate or discussion.   This is what the deeper liberty at stake issue is and has been raised by some very well respected figures.   And the fact that the OP thinks there is scientific agreement about the seriousness of the virus tells you another thing about 'openness' in our society.    

Oh God, don't ever move into a condo with a strata council.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watching the debate last night, I was thinking that, back in January did Trump and Biden have the same information about the COVID-19 potential when they made their January and February comments. Surely Trump would have more information. By the way, according to Bob Woodward's new book, many of Trump's advisors, including Dr. Fauci,  suggested to him that he should shut down flights from China. However he has insisted that it was just "his idea". On another thing about the debate, when Trump goes on about the problems with "forest management" in the California fires, why was it not stated that 57% of California's forests are Federal forests, while 3% are state forests. So why didn't he order his great "forest management" stuff to be done?

• Cheers 2

THE SCIENCE

Why the positivity rate — a key metric for charting COVID-19's spread — is giving reason for hope in B.C.

A key COVID-19 statistic that you won't hear about during B.C.'s daily health briefings could indicate residents are slowing transmission of the virus. The number of COVID-19 cases detected in a day divided by the number of tests completed that day gives what is called the positivity rate — a number that was as high as seven per cent in the early days of the pandemic, and less than one per cent for most of June.

The positivity rate can be determined when the daily testing numbers are reported. Over the last week, that number has declined consistently to below two per cent — a level not seen on a regular basis since early July.

"Per cent positive is something we watch," said Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. "It's one of those metrics that if it's above five per cent … that tells us there's transmission in the community that is concerning."

Because testing in B.C. continues to go up — the average weekly number has doubled since early August — the daily number of new cases hasn't been decreasing. In addition, the number of tests done a day vacillates wildly. That makes tracking "success" based on the number of daily new cases difficult — but experts say there have been encouraging signs in B.C.'s containment of the virus since nightclubs and banquet halls were shut down after Labour Day.

"We can never really know exactly why change happens, but it does look like … there's signs of a downturn, which I think is great," said Simon Fraser University researcher Caroline Colijn, who studies the mathematics of infections. Colijn says the positivity rate doesn't show everything, and could be misleading if the province was inefficiently testing thousands of people who didn't have symptoms.

At the same time, the lower rate could indicate that B.C.'s surge of cases has subsided, at least temporarily. And it shows community transmission is quite low. "It doesn't seem to be continuing that exponential growth trend. So I think there could be signs of slowing down, which would be amazing."

53 minutes ago, samurai said:

THE SCIENCE

Why the positivity rate — a key metric for charting COVID-19's spread — is giving reason for hope in B.C.

A key COVID-19 statistic that you won't hear about during B.C.'s daily health briefings could indicate residents are slowing transmission of the virus. The number of COVID-19 cases detected in a day divided by the number of tests completed that day gives what is called the positivity rate — a number that was as high as seven per cent in the early days of the pandemic, and less than one per cent for most of June.

The positivity rate can be determined when the daily testing numbers are reported. Over the last week, that number has declined consistently to below two per cent — a level not seen on a regular basis since early July.

"Per cent positive is something we watch," said Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. "It's one of those metrics that if it's above five per cent … that tells us there's transmission in the community that is concerning."

Because testing in B.C. continues to go up — the average weekly number has doubled since early August — the daily number of new cases hasn't been decreasing. In addition, the number of tests done a day vacillates wildly. That makes tracking "success" based on the number of daily new cases difficult — but experts say there have been encouraging signs in B.C.'s containment of the virus since nightclubs and banquet halls were shut down after Labour Day.

"We can never really know exactly why change happens, but it does look like … there's signs of a downturn, which I think is great," said Simon Fraser University researcher Caroline Colijn, who studies the mathematics of infections. Colijn says the positivity rate doesn't show everything, and could be misleading if the province was inefficiently testing thousands of people who didn't have symptoms.

At the same time, the lower rate could indicate that B.C.'s surge of cases has subsided, at least temporarily. And it shows community transmission is quite low. "It doesn't seem to be continuing that exponential growth trend. So I think there could be signs of slowing down, which would be amazing."

Link?

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, kingofsurrey said:

QfcjgMAC?format=png&name=900x900

I dont wear a mask unless i have to, ie walmart were they make it mandatory , but if its reccomended than i wont, i also have a excemption card from translink, as i have ashma and heart condition, and wearing a mask makes it almost impossible to breathe ( sucks bad when i ahve to go to walmart ) but i only go out couple times a week anyway ( stay at home gamer lol ) and with prepatch and expansion for wow comming soon, will be even more at home ...but its weird seeing some red still out in the world