The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Greece goes into lockdown, US and UK elections cancelled

Fri 13 Mar 2020 16:22:47 GMT

The news just keeps on coming

The latest is that Greece will close all bars, restaurants, shopping malls and cafes. Greece at the moment doesn't appear to be a hotspot and hopefully this is simply an aim to get ahead of it; which is the kind of medicine that I think markets will eventually come to appreciate.

Other news is that England has cancelled mayoral elections and Louisiana has cancelled the Democratic primary. The England elections have been cancelled for a full year.
  • Upvote 1

Miami mayor has coronavirus after event with Bolsonaro

Fri 13 Mar 2020 16:28:11 GMT

Miami mayor has coronavirus

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez has tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Miami Herald.

"It is confirmed that I have the coronavirus," Suarez told the newspaper. "I did test positive for it."

Suarez was one of several politicians, including Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez, Sen. Rick Scott and President Donald Trump, who interacted with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and his staff during a visit to South Florida last week. He's been in self-isolation since yesterday.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Heh, that's what my weekend nightly activity consists of after my usual striking out.  Playing with myself.  errr.....Oh, you were refering to something else.:ph34r:

In a related note, I bet we see an increase in birth rates in 9-10 months...:ph34r:

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've heard through someone (not a doctor) that this virus will affect the elderly and those with respiratory problems, etc. the worst. For some reason children are immune. She said we are basically okay, this will be just like the flu if we get it, and our immune systems will be able to fight it off. 

Is this true? Is the average fairly healthy person (under 60) really in any danger?

I find some people are pretty relaxed with the whole pandemic, but others are seriously worried. I'm getting more paranoid, the more I watch the news. 

1CE4A0E4-6615-41C2-87E2-D653C750F446.gif

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Because they deem there to be no risk and if everyone went for a test over a cough it would be a waste of resources.....sort of like every year when people go to see med pros for a cold or flu.....waste of time and resources.

This is somewhat true but...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've heard through someone (not a doctor) that this virus will affect the elderly and those with respiratory problems, etc. the worst. For some reason children are immune. She said we are basically okay, this will be just like the flu if we get it, and our immune systems will be able to fight it off. 

Is this true? Is the average fairly healthy person (under 60) really in any danger?

I find some people are pretty relaxed with the whole pandemic, but others are seriously worried. I'm getting more paranoid, the more I watch the news. 

Not to scare you even more, but I read somewhere that people 30yo+ may actually be more susceptible that first thought. May not even have been a credible source though.. 

As far as estimated mortality rates (I think mostly from data from China & Italy) I remember seeing ~10% for 70yo+, with a sharp drop off after that ~3% for 60-69, and then dropping about 0.75 % points for every decade younger. So the data definitely suggests <60yo is low risk. Sorry I haven't bothered to find my sources for this, but even the "official" #'s are just wild estimates anyways. 

Edited by 'NucK™
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Because they deem there to be no risk and if everyone went for a test over a cough it would be a waste of resources.....sort of like every year when people go to see med pros for a cold or flu.....waste of time and resources.

Can you tell that to my employer, because if we're sick over 3 days I have to visit the doctor to get a medical note. 

29 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

Just got off the phone with 811. So even if you have symptoms (I don't have a fever)  they wont test you unless you came into contact with a positive case or have travel history.

Why are still going with the reactive approach?? We already have a few community cases.

We need to follow the steps of South Korea, they can test 10,000 per day and be proactive with drive thru testing.

• Upvote 2

'any man who knows a thing knows, he knows not a damn, damn thing at all'

I woke up with that line from a song going around in my head.

It's ok to be prepared for the unknown, It just doesn't have to be a panic situation. However,to dismiss this and carry on like normal is doing a disservice to your fellow humans.

I saw a few interviews from the airport this morn. People saying they aren't changing their plans, they feel fine... one lady suggesting she won't self isolate when she returns from holidays. It annoys me, we all live together and abide by a social contract. If it wasn't a contagious situation I might like to head to the airport to hand out some knuckle sandwiches. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There are large areas within all those places where people can gather in numbers. Most do it without even realizing they're doing so. Why not shut it down and avoid the possibility?

And gyms/recreation centres.  Although there may not be 250 people there at one time, over the course of a day there is, and I doubt things get disinfected throughout the day.   

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

It's ok to be prepared for the unknown, It just doesn't have to be a panic situation. However,to dismiss this and carry on like normal is doing a disservice to your fellow humans.

I saw a few interviews from the airport this morn. People saying they aren't changing their plans, they feel fine... one lady suggesting she won't self isolate when she returns from holidays. It annoys me, we all live together and abide by a social contract. If it wasn't a contagious situation I might like to head to the airport to hand out some knuckle sandwiches. 

B-but the government has advised to self isolate.... :unsure:

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

“I tryna save yer damn life”

Whap!

• Cheers 1

This chart from gov't of Canada website makes me laugh... 3 probable cases in the entire country :lol::lol::lol: 

yes makes sense that those 152 infected interacted with a total of 3 people prior to diagnosis.. 

Areas in Canada with cases of COVID-19 as of March 13, 2020, 9:00 am
Province, territory or other Number of confirmed cases Number of probable cases
British Columbia 53 0
Alberta 23 0
Saskatchewan 0 1
Manitoba 1 2
Ontario 60 0
Quebec 13 0
New Brunswick 1 0
Repatriated Canadians 1 0
Total cases 152 3

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic