The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

2nd Wave is now hitting BC.    Who here is surprised...   BC Gov has failed to take the proper precautions so here we are......

I think the citizens have responsibility too. I saw plenty of news about people all over the province partying and not social distancing or wearing masks.  You have too much faith in government to do everything.  

My sister told me that there is an app in BC for Covid tracking. We just got ours in NY.  How many are using it?  Do you?  

The Vancouver Island Health region (which also includes a chunk of the mainland) Currently has 3 active detected cases. Out of a population of 900,000.

Being somewhat isolated on an island helps but it's really up to the population to protect themselves.

Introduction | Optimization of Home Support Scheduling

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

I'm still not sure we're into a second wave or whether this is just an ongoing rate of infection.  We're testing at a significantly higher level than we were in the spring, yet the test positive rate is holding on well below 2%.  That doesn't sound like a second wave.  The increased numbers of positive are relative to the increased tests.  Rate of hospitalizations isn't increasing.  

While there are certainly people still flaunting the recommended protocols, I think the majority of people are doing their best to disinfect, mask, wash their hands, maintain physical distancing, all of which helps to keep people safe.  

Thankfully we aren't at a point where Que and Ont are at with facing increasing lockdowns again.  I really hope we don't get there.  

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

2nd Wave is now hitting BC.    Who here is surprised...   BC Gov has failed to take the proper precautions so here we are......

The 2nd wave was never going to be staved off. It was always going to arrive. It could have been a lot worse, but the initial response is exactly why our second wave isn’t going to be as bad as Ont., or Que, or most places in the world, including many places in Europe. 

I’m not a Dr. B cheerleader but I’m also not going to throw out the baby with the bath water. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The 2nd wave was never going to be staved off. It was always going to arrive. It could have been a lot worse, but the initial response is exactly why our second wave isn’t going to be as bad as Ont., or Que, or most places in the world, including many places in Europe. 

I’m not a Dr. B cheerleader but I’m also not going to throw out the baby with the bath water. 

BC was in a great spot after the spring lockdown.

We wasted our position with both  poor government policy and poor individual behavior over the BC summer. 

Over confidence set in, and the results will now be a consequence. '

Covid is highly contagious and airborn so Dr. B anti mask  / anti social distancing persuasion really never made sense. Of course it kept the economy going in the short term.... but the next lockdown is soon on the horizon. 

1 hour ago, skategal said:

I'm still not sure we're into a second wave or whether this is just an ongoing rate of infection. 

161 cases today in BC - check out our graph.  The number do not lie. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC was in a great spot after the spring lockdown.

We wasted our position with both  poor government policy and poor individual behavior over the BC summer. 

Over confidence set in, and the results will now be a consequence. '

Covid is highly contagious and airborn so Dr. B anti mask  / anti social distancing persuasion really never made sense. Of course it kept the economy going in the short term.... but the next lockdown is soon on the horizon. 

The economy was crippling with debt, hell look at the Feds right now, they are talking about bumping CPP back up to 67 again because they have maxed out their spending and can't fund stuff anymore.  Why the hell can the Feds change the rules on OUR money they forced us to give them.  Crap like that makes me hate the government even more and still stand on my stance that the government should NEVER be in charge of our retirement money.  God damn bull$&!# if you ask me, I can only imagine how many people are going to pull it out early now and get dinged just so that they don't loose that ability over the next couple years potentially. 

Its a crap situation, you had to get economy moving again.  The government doesn't have unlimited money to just toss around, all the money they toss around is our tax dollars, eventually theres no more tax dollars for them to piss away.  Happened when Harper got in, he start spending because of the 2008 downturn hit them at that time and that set us back, Covid is here and now the Liberals are spending more, theres not unlimited money coming out.  Not everyone is fortunate to have jobs minimally effected by covid either unfortunately so at some point you need to get them back to work.

Now we probably should have implamented a mask rule earlier but for the most part until recently our numbers were pretty low so its hard to convince people and justify when we were down to under 20 cases a day. 

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1

Parents at West Vancouver school call for transparency on COVID-19 ‘exposures’

Parents of kids at Caulfeild Elementary School in West Vancouver say it shouldn’t have taken a rogue Facebook group to get an understanding of the number of COVID-19 cases in a Grade 2 class there — but because they’re not getting the information they need from B.C. public health officials, they’re going to continue sharing it amongst themselves.

Sherrie Robinson told Global News that when parents first received a letter telling them there’d been an exposure, they felt there weren’t nearly enough details.

She said parents were left wondering if they should get their kids tested — including one mom, who fibbed to get her asymptomatic daughter tested.

“And if that was my kid, I’d be doing the same thing. And thank god she did, because it ended up being a positive,” she said.

That mom posted her family’s test results in a Facebook group called North Shore COVID19 Information.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

“It got everyone thinking ok, you know, there’s this huge stigma around it. And I mean, her daughter was asymptomatic. She had no way of knowing,” Robinson said.

“So the conversation’s been started and now it’s like a ripple effect.”

Subsequent posts on the Facebook group revealed that at least half of the students in the class have possibly contracted COVID-19.

Parents have shared amongst themselves positive results in seven out of 15 children in one Grade 2 class — and they say some family members are getting sick, too. Robinson said she’s aware of three Caulfeild moms, a grandparent and a sibling at another school who’ve tested positive for COVID-19.

Robinson said there’s also frustration with the province, and Vancouver Coastal Health public health officials, for being adamant that the cases arising out of the Caulfeild exposure do not constitute an outbreak.

Bonnie Henry on B.C. school exposures

She said this isn’t considered an outbreak because kids were sent home and told to isolate early on.

“So it is likely that some of them will develop illness in that incubation period but they are not in the school setting when they get ill, so it’s not an outbreak,” Dr Henry said.

“There are no outbreaks across the province right now.”

Henry said there’s no evidence of ‘widespread transmission’ in the classroom anywhere in the province at this time — but Robinson called the idea that all seven kids who tested positive at Caulfeild caught the virus on the weekend or at playdates ‘unrealistic.’

Interesting thing came up in my reading (or listening on Audible.com). Sometimes things have a way of being tied together over the years, or centuries. A perfect example is the RSA cryptography method devised for internet security. It uses a theorem from Euclid (300 BCE) and one from Fermat (about 1650 CE) that was extended by Euler (1780 CE) to come up with their 1977 RSA public key encryption algorithm. Well, in a book I was listening to last night called ""Bursts" by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, he was talking about a web site named "Where's George", or something like that. What it is for is to have people, in the USA, who come across a One Dollar bill with a stamp on it, or writing on it with the web address, to type in their Zip Code, the date, and the serial number of the bill. Apparently thousands are doing this, some with over 3,000 bills just that they have come across. It started as sort of a game, like "Who can get the most", or how far has this bill travelled. What they are now realizing that these bills are being passed from people to people and some times don't travel very far, but then their owner goes for a drive, or an airplane ride and pays for something with this bill quite a distance away, and another pocket of people end up with it. You can see where I'm going with this, it is a perfect simulation of a virus being spread!  I can't wait to here more of the book tonight.

• Cheers 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, Wilbur said:

As he gets through this (assuming he will, odds are in his favour but there are no guarantees), I could totally see him taking the approach of "I'm strong, healthy, and I recovered".  There are points to probably gain there with some.  Just don't see many points to gain in the it's not a big deal/hoax approach from him.  I'm sure some from his side will try to put that out there, I just don't see Trump himself doing it.  Heh, and if he does I'll be the first to say you told me so ;) 

Let's face it, he acts on impulse a lot and doesn't always weigh things out.

He's a desperate man who'll do anything to "win"/not lose.  He also could claim that he's proved a point...COVID isn't as bad as we all thought.  "AHA, I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG".  That a man in his 70's overcame it (even though he'll also go off track here and gloat about how he's a physical specimen of health).  Remember, there were things in the forefront that are now not even being discussed..."taxes", Eric's meeting with investigators, etc.

If ever there was a total shift of events, this is it.  So I have no problem considering it could be "fake news"...something he talks of a lot. 

I see him also garnering sympathy through this...if it is "real" (which it appears to be from videos that show him in his current state), that it could be milked/extended/used as a smokescreen with constant updates that keep everyone distracted.

• Like 1

Well, hand hygiene looks to be important with COVID-19 after all.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1517/5917611

ACCEPTED MANUSCRIPT

Survival of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza virus on the human skin: Importance of hand hygiene in COVID-19 

Abstract

Background

The stability of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) on human skin remains unknown, considering the hazards of viral exposure to humans. We generated a model that allows the safe reproduction of clinical studies on the application of pathogens to human skin and elucidated the stability of SARS-CoV-2 on the human skin.

Methods

We evaluated the stability of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza A virus (IAV), mixed with culture medium or upper respiratory mucus, on human skin surfaces and the dermal disinfection effectiveness of 80% (w/w) ethanol against SARS-CoV-2 and IAV.

Results

SARS-CoV-2 and IAV were inactivated more rapidly on skin surfaces than on other surfaces (stainless steel/glass/plastic); the survival time was significantly longer for SARS-CoV-2 than for IAV [9.04 h (95% confidence interval: 7.96–10.2 h) vs. 1.82 h (1.65–2.00 h)]. IAV on other surfaces was inactivated faster in mucus versus medium conditions, while SARS-CoV-2 showed similar stability in the mucus and medium; the survival time was significantly longer for SARS-CoV-2 than for IAV [11.09 h (10.22–12.00 h) vs. 1.69 h (1.57–1.81 h)]. Moreover, both SARS-CoV-2 and IAV in the mucus/medium on human skin were completely inactivated within 15 s by ethanol treatment.

Conclusions

The 9-h survival of SARS-CoV-2 on human skin may increase the risk of contact transmission in comparison with IAV, thus accelerating the pandemic. Proper hand hygiene is important to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 infections.

• Thanks 2