The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

9 hours ago, x00x said:

I dont wear a mask unless i have to, ie walmart were they make it mandatory , but if its reccomended than i wont, i also have a excemption card from translink, as i have ashma and heart condition, and wearing a mask makes it almost impossible to breathe ( sucks bad when i ahve to go to walmart ) but i only go out couple times a week anyway ( stay at home gamer lol ) and with prepatch and expansion for wow comming soon, will be even more at home ...but its weird seeing some red still out in the world

Have you considered using a face shield?

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
13 hours ago, samurai said:

THE SCIENCE

Why the positivity rate — a key metric for charting COVID-19's spread — is giving reason for hope in B.C.

A key COVID-19 statistic that you won't hear about during B.C.'s daily health briefings could indicate residents are slowing transmission of the virus. The number of COVID-19 cases detected in a day divided by the number of tests completed that day gives what is called the positivity rate — a number that was as high as seven per cent in the early days of the pandemic, and less than one per cent for most of June.

The positivity rate can be determined when the daily testing numbers are reported. Over the last week, that number has declined consistently to below two per cent — a level not seen on a regular basis since early July.

"Per cent positive is something we watch," said Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. "It's one of those metrics that if it's above five per cent … that tells us there's transmission in the community that is concerning."

Because testing in B.C. continues to go up — the average weekly number has doubled since early August — the daily number of new cases hasn't been decreasing. In addition, the number of tests done a day vacillates wildly. That makes tracking "success" based on the number of daily new cases difficult — but experts say there have been encouraging signs in B.C.'s containment of the virus since nightclubs and banquet halls were shut down after Labour Day.

"We can never really know exactly why change happens, but it does look like … there's signs of a downturn, which I think is great," said Simon Fraser University researcher Caroline Colijn, who studies the mathematics of infections. Colijn says the positivity rate doesn't show everything, and could be misleading if the province was inefficiently testing thousands of people who didn't have symptoms.

At the same time, the lower rate could indicate that B.C.'s surge of cases has subsided, at least temporarily. And it shows community transmission is quite low. "It doesn't seem to be continuing that exponential growth trend. So I think there could be signs of slowing down, which would be amazing."

You added "THE SCIENCE" and left some parts out.  Here's the entire "article".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-bc-testing-numbers-positivity-rate-1.5744198

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Have you considered using a face shield?

Ya i have asthma, heart failure, COPD,  diabetes etc, i don't go out much at all because in the valley there are some who think this virus is a hoax and they won't adhere to the rules of safe distancing or masks,  when i do go out i use a shield, which is very breathable, in fact they are cheap , just bought 5 off of Amazon.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Ya i have asthma, heart failure, COPD,  diabetes etc, i don't go out much at all because in the valley there are some who think this virus is a hoax and they won't adhere to the rules of safe distancing or masks,  when i do go out i use a shield, which is very breathable, in fact they are cheap , just bought 5 off of Amazon.  

Sickening to hear that people will not be respectful and protect others in their community.

No matter how you feel about Covid.... at least protect others that are near/around you.

Anyone can wear a mask or a shield when in public. Not really that difficult.

We will have Covid around us for quite some time by the looks of it... so we all need to adjust and make a few small changes in how we behave. Really not that tough to pull off and if we can limit the dangers of covid to others... then we just gotta do it. 

• Vintage 2
2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sickening to hear that people will not be respectful and protect others in their community.

No matter how you feel about Covid.... at least protect others that are near/around you.

Anyone can wear a mask or a shield when in public. Not really that difficult.

We will have Covid around us for quite some time by the looks of it... so we all need to adjust and make a few small changes in how we behave. Really not that tough to pull off and if we can limit the dangers of covid to others... then we just gotta do it. 

I give everyone their space and adhere to the social distancing, but I'm not wearing a mask when I go outside.  If a store requires a mask, I put mine on (got a nice looking Canucks one). People cross the street to avoid walking next to someone or step off the sidewalk when you're outside.  This is a virus that's spread through bodily fluids, not through some miracle.  

Anyways, your sentiment is good, but you shouldn't have hatred towards people that don't conform to the same standards as you.  

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I give everyone their space and adhere to the social distancing, but I'm not wearing a mask when I go outside.  If a store requires a mask, I put mine on (got a nice looking Canucks one). People cross the street to avoid walking next to someone or step off the sidewalk when you're outside.  This is a virus that's spread through bodily fluids, not through some miracle.  

Anyways, your sentiment is good, but you shouldn't have hatred towards people that don't conform to the same standards as you.  

What.... you don't think Covid is spread through the air ?  I am confused ?

I don't feel hatred towards anyone... but i do feel anger when people disrespect others safety....  

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

What.... you don't think Covid is spread through the air ?  I am confused ?

I don't feel hatred towards anyone... but i do feel anger when people disrespect others safety....  

No it is spread through air, but you'd have to be talking or coughing next to someone to spread it...  of course you could also spread it through surfaces.  Anyways if I'm breathing through my nose and pass by someone 6 feet away, there is no chance of transmission happening so I don't feel like I'm endangering someone by not wearing a mask when I'm out for a walk.  

I've got no issues with masks being mandatory in stores where it's a closed space. 

• Hydration 1
32 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't wear one outside either...I do go out of may way to avoid people on my walks though (like I have crossed the street if there doesn't appear to be ample space between us).   Some are so oblivious.  Like on a narrow gravel pathway a family will be spread across it coming towards me and....not single file it up.  I'll move, but generally tell them why they're doing it wrong.  Mostly because...arrogance and self entitlement from what I'm experiencing.  No sense of boundaries and personal space.  

It's about being reasonable...we don't have to go crazy over this.  When indoors or if social distancing isn't possible, wear a mask.  If someone is coming toward you, give adequate space (and they should too).  It doesn't have to be a matter of butting heads but some seem intent on doing that.  Some even go looking for it...a chance to exercise their rights (to be jerks).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Dr Anti Mask   - are you paying attention..... ?

Coronavirus outbreaks within Quebec schools are multiplying and pressure is increasing on the government to require children to wear masks in the classroom.

While public health officials say outbreaks at schools are small and under control, there are now more than 500 schools in Quebec reporting at least one case of COVID-19. More than 80 are reporting more than one case within their school.

Montreal public health officials say they are fighting 27 outbreaks in schools that involve spread between staff or students in one classroom “bubble,” suggesting that most of the secondary transmission that is happening at Montreal’s schools is happening within the classroom.

Additionally, media reports, social media testimony and information listed on the citizen-run COVID Écoles Quebec website reveal that COVID-19 is spreading in the classroom at an increasingly frequent rate.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec/pressure-mounting-in-quebec-for-masks-in-class-as-number-of-school-outbreaks-grows

Edited by kingofsurrey
5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You added "THE SCIENCE" and left some parts out.  Here's the entire "article".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-bc-testing-numbers-positivity-rate-1.5744198

Wrong, it is not from the same article.  Wrong, I did not not add 'The Science'  - see screen shot.   I pasted everything on BC.      

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 7.35.25.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 7.35.39.png

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Where's the link for the article you've used then?  You haven't provided it.

1. Go to the CBC site
  2. Click COVID-19
  3. Click Coronavirus brief 
  4. Scroll down until you see the heading 'The Science'.   

Note the info changes everyday because they are 'briefs'   The science brief today is different but below is the link for Sept 30th.  You should still be able to see it.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-newsletter-sept-30-1.5745257

PS I am sure you remember Tony Twist.  Did you know that him and John Cooper played lacrosse together.  In the 70s PG was one of the stronger lacrosse associations in BC.  Tony Twist made his career as a fighter but he was an exceptional athlete.  His first year of junior hockey he had 52 points in 42 games.  

• Vintage 1
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic
  • SNuck featured and pinned this topic
  • SNuck unfeatured this topic