The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Ok so couple scenarios. 

1) Guy at work last week wasn't feeling well on Monday, let the admin know and they told him he had to stay home and get a covid test.  So he wasn't able to get it until Wednesday, and his results didn't come back until late Friday.  So he missed 4 days of work without pay with no way of getting composated as you only get money from the government if you test positive.  He's the main source of income for his family as his wife stays home with the kids and only works part time so now he's only going to collect 6/10 days of pay the upcoming payday and we don't even have sick days at our work to try and cover some of the lost wages. 

Whats to keep people from just pumping themselves even more with ColdFX, DayQuill, Buckleys, etc. just to mask any illness because they aren't getting paid.  From reading my union contract it doesn't look like having a cough or anything is grounds to send you home and not let you back as unless you are violentally ill no one has ever been sent home as far as I know, so it'll be interesting to see what they can forcefully do to send you home and not have it grieved and have to be paid out as lost wages, etc.

2) I was reading on Twitter last night there was a positive test at some school in Vancouver or somewhere and they are sending kids and teachers home to quarantine for 14 days.  

The debate I was reading among people on the thread (can't find it now as it was retweeted and I can't remember the news ladies name apparently)

- 1) Are they doing remote learning now because everyone is home or do teachers/students not have their gear, etc.

- 2) If they aren't doing remote learning and going to try and go back in 2 weeks, are all the teachers just home now on sick leave - do teachers have to use sick days or do they just get sent home and paid but don't do teaching?  (all the parents of those kids have to use sick days too themselves to care for the kids as it was elementary I believe).  

Now this is going to be an interesting battle potentially between the government and union, is the government going to force sick days or just pay them out as is? 

Now I say that as some companies like mine, we won't get a dime as far as I know if we are sent home sick or as a precaution, while others companies (like my old work years ago) will force you to take sick days and then you'll go unpaid from then on or have to take vacation or something. 

Personally I know I will be keeping away from most people (still ugh miss friends) and eating up all the OT at my work that I can for the next few months if people do start going down and sent home. 

Edited by Russ

Canada needs a fast and accurate Covid testing regime and after 9 months we still don't have one. Kids are going to school and bringing what back into the home. How many families were relying on grandparents to provide daycare for their kids? Society has to have a way of functioning with Covid. Shutting down the economy cannot happen. It is one thing to rely on other countries to supply PPE and hopefully a vaccine but maintaining a functioning economy another.   

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canada needs a fast and accurate Covid testing regime and after 9 months we still don't have one. Kids are going to school and bringing what back into the home. How many families were relying on grandparents to provide daycare for their kids? Society has to have a way of functioning with Covid. Shutting down the economy cannot happen. It is one thing to rely on other countries to supply PPE and hopefully a vaccine but maintaining a functioning economy another.   

Still frustrating how places like South Korea (I believe it was) had drive thru testing stations within a month or so of the outbreak where you were getting results back within a day or so.  Here its still 2 days and then they only let you know if you're positive (what if they screwed up and missed out on your number proper, etc.).  Canada was SO slow off the line and continues to be. 

42 minutes ago, Russ said:

Still frustrating how places like South Korea (I believe it was) had drive thru testing stations within a month or so of the outbreak where you were getting results back within a day or so.  Here its still 2 days and then they only let you know if you're positive (what if they screwed up and missed out on your number proper, etc.).  Canada was SO slow off the line and continues to be. 

My daughter was 3 days waiting for results in Calgary 2 weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Ok so couple scenarios. 

1) Guy at work last week wasn't feeling well on Monday, let the admin know and they told him he had to stay home and get a covid test.  So he wasn't able to get it until Wednesday, and his results didn't come back until late Friday.  So he missed 4 days of work without pay with no way of getting composated as you only get money from the government if you test positive.  He's the main source of income for his family as his wife stays home with the kids and only works part time so now he's only going to collect 6/10 days of pay the upcoming payday and we don't even have sick days at our work to try and cover some of the lost wages. 

Whats to keep people from just pumping themselves even more with ColdFX, DayQuill, Buckleys, etc. just to mask any illness because they aren't getting paid.  From reading my union contract it doesn't look like having a cough or anything is grounds to send you home and not let you back as unless you are violentally ill no one has ever been sent home as far as I know, so it'll be interesting to see what they can forcefully do to send you home and not have it grieved and have to be paid out as lost wages, etc.

2) I was reading on Twitter last night there was a positive test at some school in Vancouver or somewhere and they are sending kids and teachers home to quarantine for 14 days.  

The debate I was reading among people on the thread (can't find it now as it was retweeted and I can't remember the news ladies name apparently)

- 1) Are they doing remote learning now because everyone is home or do teachers/students not have their gear, etc.

- 2) If they aren't doing remote learning and going to try and go back in 2 weeks, are all the teachers just home now on sick leave - do teachers have to use sick days or do they just get sent home and paid but don't do teaching?  (all the parents of those kids have to use sick days too themselves to care for the kids as it was elementary I believe).  

Now this is going to be an interesting battle potentially between the government and union, is the government going to force sick days or just pay them out as is? 

Now I say that as some companies like mine, we won't get a dime as far as I know if we are sent home sick or as a precaution, while others companies (like my old work years ago) will force you to take sick days and then you'll go unpaid from then on or have to take vacation or something. 

Personally I know I will be keeping away from most people (still ugh miss friends) and eating up all the OT at my work that I can for the next few months if people do start going down and sent home. 

Teachers use their sick days in that case

Teachers are not sent home when a kid test positive. 

In fact the teacher may not even be notified when a kid in class tests positive.

In fact the teacher may not even be notified when a kid in class tests positive.  Work safe. / lawsuit now in North Van over this issue.

https://www.nsnews.com/news/sentinel-teacher-mulling-worksafe-claim-over-covid-19-exposure-1.24206981

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Teachers are not sent home when a kid test positive. 

In fact the teacher may not even be notified when a kid in class tests positive.

In fact the teacher may not even be notified when a kid in class tests positive.  Work safe. / lawsuit now in North Van over this issue.

https://www.nsnews.com/news/sentinel-teacher-mulling-worksafe-claim-over-covid-19-exposure-1.24206981

You’re the go to Covid news source now, KOS. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My daughter was 3 days waiting for results in Calgary 2 weeks ago. 

I've had my son tested twice and daughter once. My daughter was recent, test was done this past Friday at noon and we got results Sunday at 8pm.  For my son's two test, both results had results back in about the same window of time. 

6 hours ago, Russ said:

I did a test in BC and Alberta in April and my one in Kelowna was back in 7 hours and my test in AB was back within 24 hours. The tests are available rather quickly you just need to sign up for myhealth or phone them. I don’t think honk your assessment is totally accurate. Maybe at certain times or if labs are down but other then that I thinks it been within 24 hours for the most part. 

^^^

Think I have mentioned before, and I know its a hockey term, but I just love your username.

It's one of my favourite pastimes during covid...being 'high and inside' 

Edited by bishopshodan
baseball term, baseball term. Come on Bishop.
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

^^^

Think I have mentioned before, and I know its a hockey term, but I just love your username.

It's one of my favourite pastimes during covid...being 'high and inside' 

I always thought of it as a baseball term....:unsure:

• Cheers 1

posted if you want to read the whole thing

Stadiums for professional baseball in Japan are allowed to have half attendance - that has been going on for a few weeks.  Social distancing and so forth in place. 4 teams have indoors stadiums including Tokyo.

A team which is competing for the division title just had a 11 players and coaches test positive.  Teams have been very good about following the rules such as not going out and so forth.  Was not in the top 5 stories of the day.

Despite this the upcoming game was not cancelled based on consent from local health officials.  The team had to call up replacement players from the farm.  They lost last night 3-0.    

https://japantoday.com/category/sports/update1-baseball-marines-report-11-new-coronavirus-cases-among-players-staff

RIP EDDIE.  Top 3 of all time in my book. 

• Cheers 1