The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

32 minutes ago, samurai said:

posted if you want to read the whole thing

Stadiums for professional baseball in Japan are allowed to have half attendance - that has been going on for a few weeks.  Social distancing and so forth in place. 4 teams have indoors stadiums including Tokyo.

A team which is competing for the division title just had a 11 players and coaches test positive.  Teams have been very good about following the rules such as not going out and so forth.  Was not in the top 5 stories of the day.

Despite this the upcoming game was not cancelled based on consent from local health officials.  The team had to call up replacement players from the farm.  They lost last night 3-0.    

https://japantoday.com/category/sports/update1-baseball-marines-report-11-new-coronavirus-cases-among-players-staff

RIP EDDIE.  Top 3 of all time in my book. 

Consider the fact that Japan has had half the number of cases in all of Canada and a much MUCH larger population. I think given their culture being more capable of handling such a crisis compared with us, it's just going to be different over there and not a fair comparison.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

Consider Japan has had half the number of cases in all of Canada and a much MUCH larger population, they can afford to have games like that.

We can't.

just for reference about 37 million people (greater Tokyo) live in an area the size of the Fraser Valley.    And cases reflect testing more than they do spread - tell me I am wrong?

Just now, samurai said:

just for reference about 37 million people (greater Tokyo) live in an area the size of the Fraser Valley.    And cases reflect testing more than they do spread - tell me I am wrong?

I edited what I said after to provide more clarity. Japan has a much larger population but a much different culture. We don't have the culture that Japan has to fight this virus in the same way.

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I edited what I said after to provide more clarity. Japan has a much larger population but a much different culture. We don't have the culture that Japan has to fight this virus in the same way.

In what way do you think there are different?  My own take for the most part (excluding the US) is that what separates the successful from the unsuccessful is immunity developed prior to Covid 19.  In other words something spread through many parts of Asia that muted the virus. I think BC is in that group.  Places like Thailand and Vietnam have been barely impacted and I find it hard to believe that their hygiene and willingness to submit to authority is any better than Canadians.   One of the myths of Asia is that they are passive or submissive.  I think a better description is they are better are just ignoring gov't.  

I remember you - you just graduated from up North and were looking for work or moving somewhere. 

Here is a recent video of Tokyo.  

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

In what way do you think there are different?  My own take for the most part (excluding the US) is that what separates the successful from the unsuccessful is immunity developed prior to Covid 19.  In other words something spread through many parts of Asia that muted the virus. I think BC is in that group.  Places like Thailand and Vietnam have been barely impacted and I find it hard to believe that their hygiene and willingness to submit to authority is any better than Canadians.   One of the myths of Asia is that they are passive or submissive.  I think a better description is they are better are just ignoring gov't.  

I remember you - you just graduated from up North and were looking for work or moving somewhere. 

Here is a recent video of Tokyo.  

Let's look at one aspect of Japan just to get a feel for the culture there: the trains. Correct me if I'm wrong but If a train is so as 1 minute late over there, it's a big deal. If a train's 1 minute late here people just shrug. The way people look up to elders over there, the way everything is structured, the whole culture far outweighs us in terms of responsibility as a society.

Compare that to here where sure, some people are responsible, but others are just plain idiots to say the least.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Let's look at one aspect of Japan just to get a feel for the culture there: the trains. Correct me if I'm wrong but If a train is so as 1 minute late over there, it's a big deal. If a train's 1 minute late here people just shrug. The way people look up to elders over there, the way everything is structured, the whole culture far outweighs us in terms of responsibility as a society.

Compare that to here where sure, some people are responsible, but others are just plain idiots to say the least.

There are idiots every where.  In North America we tend to blame them for everything.  A friend from India told me that westerners (or most of us) need to have an external devil to blame things on or fight with.   That seems to be the case on this site.  Covid numbers are because of idiots.   

Same guy who was visiting academic at UBC also told me that people in Vancouver like to go to work and then after that go home and sleep. 

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

There are idiots every where.  In North America we tend to blame them for everything.  A friend from India told me that westerners (or most of us) need to have an external devil to blame things on or fight with.   That seems to be the case on this site.  Covid numbers are because of idiots.   

Same guy who was visiting academic at UBC also told me that people in Vancouver like to go to work and then after that go home and sleep. 

To be fair, there are stereotypes of course. I just have the perception that in Japan, the culture perhaps is able to keep more of those idiots in check. Obviously, I'm sure things happen everywhere anyway.

Also to answer your sentence from earlier. I did just graduate! I'm working remotely for a company based in Victoria for now. Things are going well so far. Once covid thing has dwindled I might look overseas at that point. :)

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, there are stereotypes of course. I just have the perception that in Japan, the culture perhaps is able to keep more of those idiots in check. Obviously, I'm sure things happen everywhere anyway.

Also to answer your sentence from earlier. I did just graduate! I'm working remotely for a company based in Victoria for now. Things are going well so far. Once covid thing has dwindled I might look overseas at that point. :)

Hearn one of the early western writers on Japan wrote that as the bonsai tree has been shaped by the gardener's clippers so have the japanese people been shaped by the sword of the samurai.  If I was a young man or women I would definitely be looking for experiences overseas.  I know a lot of people who get the opportunities to work all over the world.  All kinds of fields.  

28 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Did you hear about the Roman soldier who walked into a bar, held up two fingers and said "Five beers, please"!!

One of my favorites is about the accountant who was constipated....

...he worked it out with a pencil...

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

23 hours ago, wloutet said:

Did you hear about the Roman soldier who walked into a bar, held up two fingers and said "Five beers, please"!!

I totally didn't get this joke even though I thought I did. I just told it to my daughter who explained that the two fingers make a V which is obviously 5 in Roman numerals. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

I totally didn't get this joke even though I thought I did. I just told it to my daughter who explained that the two fingers make a V which is obviously 5 in Roman numerals. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Don't feel bad....in fact, here have 50 beers.....B)

Smileys! App with 1000+ smileys for Facebook, WhatsApp or any other  messenger. | Animated emoticons, Funny emoticons, Emoticon faces

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

The Orthodox Jews are kicking up a fuss in NY. Think they beat up a reporter? 

My cousin is a Brit military guy, recon. Been deployed in some tough places including Iraq and Afghanistan.

I once asked him where the scariest place he has been is? he said some of the Orthodox Jewish areas of England. He said you just don't mess with those people, you go missing.