The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

So wearing masks should be a thing.  Who would have thought that.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-06277-0

Comparing Associations of State Reopening Strategies with COVID-19 Burden

On average, the number of excess cases per 100,000 residents in states reopening without masks is ten times the number in states reopening with masks after 8 weeks (643.1 cases; 95% confidence interval (CI) = 406.9, 879.2 and 62.9 cases; CI = 12.6, 113.1, respectively). Excess cases after 6 weeks could have been reduced by 90% from 576,371 to 63,062 and excess deaths reduced by 80% from 22,851 to 4858 had states implemented mask mandates prior to reopening. Over 50,000 excess deaths were prevented within 6 weeks in 13 states that implemented mask mandates prior to reopening.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

So wearing masks should be a thing.  Who would have thought that.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-06277-0

Comparing Associations of State Reopening Strategies with COVID-19 Burden

On average, the number of excess cases per 100,000 residents in states reopening without masks is ten times the number in states reopening with masks after 8 weeks (643.1 cases; 95% confidence interval (CI) = 406.9, 879.2 and 62.9 cases; CI = 12.6, 113.1, respectively). Excess cases after 6 weeks could have been reduced by 90% from 576,371 to 63,062 and excess deaths reduced by 80% from 22,851 to 4858 had states implemented mask mandates prior to reopening. Over 50,000 excess deaths were prevented within 6 weeks in 13 states that implemented mask mandates prior to reopening.

Too bad Dr. B doesn't support mandatory masks.... 

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

The Orthodox Jews are kicking up a fuss in NY. Think they beat up a reporter? 

My cousin is a Brit military guy, recon. Been deployed in some tough places including Iraq and Afghanistan.

I once asked him where the scariest place he has been is? he said some of the Orthodox Jewish areas of England. He said you just don't mess with those people, you go missing.

That's England's lack of intelligent thought and post colonialism has just brought them all of there former citizens home.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, The Lock said:

Consider the fact that Japan has had half the number of cases in all of Canada and a much MUCH larger population. I think given their culture being more capable of handling such a crisis compared with us, it's just going to be different over there and not a fair comparison.

They have had a few more years to figure stuff like this out.They should actually have no cases.

5 hours ago, Violator said:

That's England's lack of intelligent thought and post colonialism has just brought them all of there former citizens home.

Sure,

I just never knew that they had that rep. Anyway, they're not happy about covid measures in NY.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/prominent-jewish-journalist-assaulted-at-ultra-orthodox-brooklyn-virus-protest/

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Don’t they run the tests over weekends? 

They do. Still takes about 3 days with the backlog, at least when I got two done. Did them on fridays too. Got the results back on Monday. 3 days is typical I believe. 

9 hours ago, Violator said:

They have had a few more years to figure stuff like this out.They should actually have no cases.

How so? This is new ground for a most, if not all, nations. You don't get experience from "having a few more years". You get experience once it actually happens. Everything is theoretical until that time.

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

They do. Still takes about 3 days with the backlog, at least when I got two done. Did them on fridays too. Got the results back on Monday. 3 days is typical I believe. 

They told me 24-48 hours. I thought it seemed a little optimistic myself. 

Positive case at a Vernon high school.  Possibly four full days if exposure before they caught it.  A direct line to my school as the husband of one of our grade 6/7 classes works there.  She was away this full week.

Awesome

• Huggy Bear 1

On 10/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, stawns said:

Positive case at a Vernon high school.  Possibly four full days if exposure before they caught it.  A direct line to my school as the husband of one of our grade 6/7 classes works there.  She was away this full week.

Awesome

I saw that news....hope everything turns out ok for you.  With your possible prior deal, makes it even more frightening I'm sure.  I have a teacher friend in Surrey who's had 3 emails so far...one of immediate possible exposure.

Start work at a school soon.  Mixed feelings....while it's my passion and I love working with kids, I'm slightly terrified.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I saw that news....hope everything turns out ok for you.  With your possible prior deal, makes it even more frightening I'm sure.  I have a teacher friend in Surrey who's had 3 emails so far...one of immediate possible exposure.

Start work at a school on Tuesday.  Mixed feelings....while it's my passion and I love working with kids, I'm slightly terrified.

Our district had three days this week where they were significantly short of TOC's and there was no coverage for sick teachers

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

Our district had three days this week where they were significantly short of TOC's and there was no coverage for sick teachers

That's horrible....COVID's ramping up and there's no relief in sight.  It's pretty scary stuff.  Anyone not taking this seriously needs to wake up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Start work at a school on Tuesday.  Mixed feelings....while it's my passion and I love working with kids, I'm slightly terrified.

Congrats on the new gig. 

• Like 1

https://www.dw.com/en/new-berlin-coronavirus-restrictions-curfew/a-55226645

Coronavirus: Berlin's first curfew in 70 years kicks in

The German capital has implemented a nighttime curfew in response to a dramatic increase in COVID-19 cases. On the first night of the new regulations the mood was somber in the Friedrichshain district, a virus hot spot.

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

At the very least, I wish you the best of luck with your new job. It still has to be better than what I read of the place you were at a few months ago.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The virus responsible for Covid-19 can remain infectious on surfaces such as banknotes, phone screens and stainless steel for 28 days, researchers say.

The findings from Australia's national science agency suggest SARS-Cov-2 can survive for far longer on surfaces than previously thought.

But the latest research from Australian agency CSIRO found the virus was "extremely robust," surviving for 28 days on smooth surfaces such as glass found on mobile phone screens and both plastic and paper banknotes, when kept at 20C (68F), which is about room temperature.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54500673

• Vintage 1