The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just plain human stupidity.

When did common sense end? Or did we ever have it to begin with?

People really underestimate how much of the population really isn't all that bright, how reactionary/panicky, or self centered they can be when discussing a vast amount of topics. Whether that's pandemics (relying on those people to self isolate, social distance etc) or things like the impending AI/automation jobs crisis on the horizon (we'll just re-train everyone to be high level engineers and the like!).

Underestimating how many people are simply not candidates to (or simply won't) follow guidelines, be retrained etc whether that be because of their IQ's, emotional states/anxiety/self centered etc severely limits our ability to effectively plan for and react to major crisis IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Just unbelievable, no regards for anyone. :picard:

That is why self isolation won't work.  Some people just don't care.  The only thing that will work is mandatory isolation but that can never happen in Western countries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

That is why self isolation won't work.  Some people just don't care.  The only thing that will work is mandatory isolation but that can never happen in Western countries.

It's about reducing exposure so that when you do get sick the hospitals and clinics won't get overrun. Damage Control. There's always going to be morons out there that think they are immune. Like tele-evangelists. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

How is everyone feeling today?

I’ve had a persistent cough the last little bit and my mom is a diabetic senior so I’m self isolating and having groceries delivered. I’m not going to be the idiot who thinks he’s fine and goes on potentially infecting others by continuing to live life as usual like nothing has changed. I’m young and will be fine, but with some positive tests coming from people who show no symptoms I’m not taking any chances given the first case being found in my city.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’ve had a persistent cough the last little bit and my mom is a diabetic senior so I’m self isolating and having groceries delivered. I’m not going to be the idiot who thinks he’s fine and goes on potentially infecting others by continuing to live life as usual like nothing has changed. I’m young and will be fine, but with some positive tests coming from people who show no symptoms I’m not taking any chances given the first case being found in my city.

In a very similar situation and am doing the same thing.  Told my family I love them and will see them as soon as I'm not risking giving it to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

I am in Mexico right now and have been for four weeks. We are due to fly back to YVR on Tuesday. The president of Mexico is a doofus, calling Covid-19 a myth and telling everyone that we shouldn't stop hugging each other. Mexico has fewer than 10 cases reported, (but not being in any way proactive) but know this: if the virus does take hold in this country it will be a nightmare because there is a far lesser standard for public cleanliness here than in Canada.  

On another note, when arriving in Tokyo two years ago, we passed through a screener that showed body temperature to check for fever. I would hope Canadian airports have adopted the use of these scanners. That way, nobody can lie about any symptoms they might have. 

Also, we intend to self-isolate when we arrive home. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Aside from the entertainment aspect, some of us work in the sports/fantasy sports field. So everything getting shut down does have an impact.

Honestly what is Tsn like atm? I imagine it's just talk about all the league shutting down and some insider explaining possible outcomes while he knows nothing himself.  Then possibly some Twitter takes of athletes and then a top10 of plays that happened of the year or from sick players or another top. 

10 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

In a very similar situation and am doing the same thing.  Told my family I love them and will see them as soon as I'm not risking giving it to them.

I just hope there's more people like you two.  There's just way too many self centred and entitled individuals on this planet that only think of themselves.

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If I was in you shoes (sandals?) I'd just stay there if you can :lol:

Too expensive, especially with the declining dollar...already been here four weeks.

I know what you mean though....nice place to be stuck in.

weather hasn’t been good for the past while and looks grim until After I return.

• Cheers 1

8 billion people on this planet right now

After going out grabbing a few things this morning and seeing the panic shopping occurring as well as the way people are treating each other.  After seeing people praying and hoping that the PM catches Covid19 from his wife and dies.

I'm like screw it.  We need a cull; the idiots have taken over.

• Like 3