The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

20 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

In March, there were no anti-body tests. Those anti-body tests are what informs you of whether or not you’ve had Covid-19 previously. 

They didn’t lie to you since there was no mechanism at that point available to us to show whether or not someone who may have had the virus earlier and is now negative. 

Are you trying to say that because they didn't have tests in March, that they can't test now????

I went in yesterday to find out if I had it in March. I re-phrased my question several times to make sure they understood that I was asking a general question about getting a test at any place and not necessarily there. I never specified to them that I may have had it in March. Two different people said that it wasn't possible to check if you've had COVID in the past.

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We all have been provided masks and shields...they MUST be worn in the halls but as soon as she returns to the office she ditches hers.  She said "you don't have to wear a mask in here" but I explained that I keep it on  indoors around others and the reasons why (Dad/son with health issues).  You'd think that would be enough (I really should have said at that point "and I'd appreciate if you would too").  But it's delicate when you're new and don't want to step on toes or be problematic from the get go.

She also has Disney music on and sings (loud/out loud) which is a concern for me.  It's a little much actually.  In a shared space it's kind of a no brainer to respect it as such and I'm pretty baffled by the lack of consideration in that.  I mean, I'm learning new systems, have new tasks and the music is theatrical and LOUD.

I wish people would change their habits a little to reflect the fact that people around them may be at different stages of worry or have others in their life with compromised immunity.  It just adds to the stress to have to contend with them.  I think I liked not working better...at least I was in ultra protection mode of my family.  This makes me feel very vulnerable on their behalf.  Mama Bear is not happy.  We'll see...I've semi addressed it today by finding a new space that I can work from when it's unoccupied but that's a temporary fix.  

Don't want to be "that woman" who complains out of the gates but this is really important stuff.  I'm just kind of shocked that her behaviour is not at all mindful of the "shared space" concept and already very awkward.   Even at the best of times, when a location becomes shared it's all about respecting a quiet work space that considers the other person.  During this pandemic, singing out loud in a tiny office where the corners of the room are barely spaced at 2 metres apart isn't cool.

I hate COVID.  Makes life so difficult. 

Ok the no mask thing I could accept, the disney signing would be a no go for me!

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We all have been provided masks and shields...they MUST be worn in the halls but as soon as she returns to the office she ditches hers.  She said "you don't have to wear a mask in here" but I explained that I keep it on  indoors around others and the reasons why (Dad/son with health issues).  You'd think that would be enough (I really should have said at that point "and I'd appreciate if you would too").  But it's delicate when you're new and don't want to step on toes or be problematic from the get go.

She also has Disney music on and sings (loud/out loud) which is a concern for me.  It's a little much actually.  In a shared space it's kind of a no brainer to respect it as such and I'm pretty baffled by the lack of consideration in that.  I mean, I'm learning new systems, have new tasks and the music is theatrical and LOUD.

I wish people would change their habits a little to reflect the fact that people around them may be at different stages of worry or have others in their life with compromised immunity.  It just adds to the stress to have to contend with them.  I think I liked not working better...at least I was in ultra protection mode of my family.  This makes me feel very vulnerable on their behalf.  Mama Bear is not happy.  We'll see...I've semi addressed it today by finding a new space that I can work from when it's unoccupied but that's a temporary fix.  

Don't want to be "that woman" who complains out of the gates but this is really important stuff.  I'm just kind of shocked that her behaviour is not at all mindful of the "shared space" concept and already very awkward.   Even at the best of times, when a location becomes shared it's all about respecting a quiet work space that considers the other person.  During this pandemic, singing out loud in a tiny office where the corners of the room are barely spaced at 2 metres apart isn't cool.

I hate COVID.  Makes life so difficult. 

Give her a detention slip. That’ll sort her out. 

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Are you trying to say that because they didn't have tests in March, that they can't test now????

I went in yesterday to find out if I had it in March. I re-phrased my question several times to make sure they understood that I was asking a general question about getting a test at any place and not necessarily there. I never specified to them that I may have had it in March. Two different people said that it wasn't possible to check if you've had COVID in the past.

I don’t believe that REACH carries antibody tests. Consult your local hospital or physician. 

I also don’t think antibodies last very long according to some research, so the seven months that have already passed may not indicate whether or not you had Covid in the past. 

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t believe that REACH carries antibody tests. Consult your local hospital or physician. 

I also don’t think antibodies last very long according to some research, so the seven months that have already passed may not indicate whether or not you had Covid in the past. 

Did you even read what I typed?

I specifically asked about getting tested anywhere including lab work; not just at REACH, anywhere. Had I taken them at their words, then I wouldn't even know to ask for that kind of test.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Did you even read what I typed?

I specifically asked about getting tested anywhere including lab work; not just at REACH, anywhere. Had I taken them at their words, then I wouldn't even know to ask for that kind of test.

Your initial gripe was about REACH. I mentioned that they did t have the capabilities to test whether or not you had Covid in the past. They still most likely don’t. 

Why don’t you go to the hospital or your doctor and ask for an antibody test? 

I already mentioned that. Did YOU even read what I typed???

I mean talk about leading a horse to water and have them continue to bitch about the directions to said water. 

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Your initial gripe was about REACH. I mentioned that they did t have the capabilities to test whether or not you had Covid in the past. They still most likely don’t. 

Why don’t you go to the hospital or your doctor and ask for an antibody test? 

I already mentioned that. Did YOU even read what I typed???

I mean talk about leading a horse to water and have them continue to bitch about the directions to said water. 

Gripe? Sounds like you're just being contrarian for the sake of it. I was seriously asking for more info on the subject. You've just been twisting my words for some strange reason.

I wanted to know beforehand if it was possible before I took it to my doctor. My daughter is having fatigue issues as well. Obviously I am going to follow up on that.

Please stop responding to me as you are just being a jerk.

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Gripe? Sounds like you're just being contrarian for the sake of it. I was seriously asking for more info on the subject. You've just been twisting my words for some strange reason.

I wanted to know beforehand if it was possible before I took it to my doctor. My daughter is having fatigue issues as well. Obviously I am going to follow up on that.

Please stop responding to me as you are just being a jerk.

Just go to your doctor! Geez. :picard:

Average daily new COVID-19 cases per million population

October 15, 2020

For provinces with at least 500 cases, using a 7-day rolling average

March

April

May

June

July

Aug.

Sept.

Oct.*

Previous 7 days

Most recent 7 days
B.C. 7.6 7.5 3.5 2.1 4.1 17 21.7 24.5 22.9 26.2
ALTA. 6.4 30.9 16.6 7.6 18.3 21.7 31.3 50.8 41.8 59.7
SASK. 5.4 6.5 7.5 3.8 12.7 10.3 7.5 17.3 9.8 24.8
MAN. 2.2 5 0.5 0.7 3.3 16.6 18.3 48.3 29.5 67.2
ONT. 3.9 33.1 27.2 18.2 9.7 6.7 18.9 48.6 42.5 54.6
QUE. 14.3 87.5 93.1 21.6 14.1 12.3 38.1 123 127.6 118.5
N.S. 5.1 27 5.1 0.2 0.2 0.5 0.2 0.3 0.1 0.4
CANADA 7.1 38.5 34.3 13.3 10.1 10.5 23.4 58.3 54.5

https://www.macleans.ca/society/health/coronavirus-in-canada-these-charts-show-how-our-fight-to-flatten-the-curve-is-going/

Edited by kingofsurrey

Yet another voice raising concerns over the government's lack of transparency around transmissions in BC's school system. 

Lack of transparency

Under provincial guidelines, the health authority does not specify how many individuals tested positive and which cohorts were affected. Henry has previously said an outbreak occurs when there is transmission between people in a school and "additional measures have to take place."

Colijn says she suspects there may be a lack of transparency when it comes to just how widespread transmission is in B.C. schools, largely due to privacy concerns.

"The public is well served by transparency in a number of ways, the public deserves to know what's going on — but also, we need to maintain trust in public health," she said.

"Data transparency makes that trust very robust, and allows it to continue — even if we don't like the news we're seeing," she added.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/1-month-in-b-c-s-return-to-school-plan-spurs-relief-and-anxiety-1.5764312

I wonder what on earth election could be causing the government not to be 100% transparent about the safety of the most valuable thing on the planet to most parents - their children! 

Belgium will close all cafes, bars and restaurants for four weeks beginning Monday

Fri 16 Oct 2020 17:09:54 GMT

Local media reports

Belgium's government has agreed to close all restaurants, bars and cafes for four weeks beginning on Monday, according to reports.

Q4 in Europe is looking increasingly grim.

Italy continues to report record numbers of virus cases

Fri 16 Oct 2020 15:14:13 GMT

Sharp escalation in Italy

• 10,010 cases today
  • 8804 yesterday
  • 7332 Wednesday

Each of those days were a record.
Edited by nuckin_futz

Seems like some parents in BC are not very happy....

Parent group plans school walkout over B.C.’s handling of COVID-19 in classrooms

Right to Fight COVID-19 group calling on parents to keep kids home on Oct. 20

•  
  • Oct. 16, 2020 2:20 p.m.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Despite continued reassurance by B.C.’s top doctor that parents shouldn’t be too concerned over COVID-19 exposures in classrooms, at least one group of parents has had enough – and is asking fellow parents to join an upcoming walkout.

Organized by the Right to Fight COVID-19 group, parents are being asked to keep their children out of school on Oct. 20.

Right to Fight COVID-19 is also calling for mandated mask-wearing in schools, better ventilation in classrooms and smaller class sizes than the current cohort system.

“We want transparency. We want uniform and sustainable remote learning options. We want the right to make sure our children have access to safe and uniform public education. Including children with diverse needs,” the group said on Facebook. “Our children and teachers aren’t expendable, or a science experiment.”

https://www.trailtimes.ca/news/parent-group-plans-school-walkout-over-b-c-s-handling-of-covid-19-in-classrooms/

Edited by kingofsurrey