The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dr. B from day one was not for compulsory masks  .

Sad that people are not smart enough to follow experienced  scientists outside of BC that supported masks earlier on..

Mandatory Mask on BC transit

Horgans  huge Fail of invitiing all of Alberta to come party / holiday in BC last summer

Mandatory masks in public space / stores

Masks , barriers and social distancing  in Middle / High Schools.

Improved ventilation in public offices and schools. 

Failure to limit  / eliminate certain international flights  / countries flying  into  BC  / Did BC gov even lobby for this to happen....?

All would have been usefull policy by our BC gov ...   Its like Horgan refused to acknowledge that Covid was spread throught the air.... and that mandatory masks could limit the spread....

Well you should know as well as I that this is completely federal jurisdiction. Hell BC started doing the names and numbers and contact tracing well before the Feds did eventhough it was not the province jurisdictions. You got to give them some credit for getting that ball rolling before Trudeau stepped up and did it at the federal level. 

Also how do you improve ventilation without doing a major retrofit and reno job? I guess stick an a/c unit out a window and just keep blowing the inside air out? 

It’s a 99.5% survival rate if you are under 70 years old. That is higher odds than the flu. Open the country and get back to normal already. We don’t shut the country down for every flu season. Let’s move on.

Edited by swizzey
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Sick eh! Stopped by Out of Bounds Sports on a whim and bumped into a 3pk of em.

Way better than the Shoppers Drug Mart public shame masks I've been wearing.

Nice find, seem to be sold out on a different site. Listed at $30 for 1 mask too...That said I would consider it if I could find em

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Please provide a link, backing up those numbers.

Case fatality rate depends on the country and age.  But worst for under 70 is 3.6 percent in China for ages 60-69. 

50-59 is 1.3% in China again. 40-49 is .4% and goes down .2% from 10-19 - those are point four and point 2.  In some countries like Italy it is 0% for 10-19.  And from 0-9  it is 0% for most countries with verified data. 70-79 it ranges from 4.8% to 12.8% depending on country. 80 years plus ranges from 13% to 20%.  Italy is the highest. 

Edited by samurai
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

Case fatality rate depends on the country and age.  But worst for under 70 is 3.6 percent in China for ages 60-69. 

50-59 is 1.3% in China again. 40-49 is .4% and goes down .2% from 10-19 - those are point four and point 2.  In some countries like Italy it is 0% for 10-19.  And from 0-9  it is 0% for most countries with verified data. 70-79 it ranges from 4.8% to 12.8% depending on country. 80 years plus ranges from 13% to 20%.  Italy is the highest. 

Case fatality is also a simplistic way of looking at covid data as more and more research is indicating long term health issues even with those surviving Covid.

So just looking at deaths is a way for  Herd Immunity advocates to push their agenda.  Keep the businesses open....  no need for masks... let the over 80 yr olds face potential death....   My brother falls into this category of person that likes to discount the potential of death due to his younger age....

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, swizzey said:

It’s a 99.5% survival rate if you are under 70 years old. That is higher odds than the flu. Open the country and get back to normal already. We don’t shut the country down for every flu season. Let’s move on.

I think you're missing the fact that there could be long term health implications for people of all ages and they're still figuring it all out.

Do you not have anyone in the family who's 70+?   They deserve consideration in all of this too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Case fatality is also a simplistic way of looking at covid data as more and more research is indicating long term health issues even with those surviving Covid.

So just looking at deaths is a way for  Herd Immunity advocates to push their agenda.  Keep the businesses open....  no need for masks... let the over 80 yr olds face potential death....   My brother falls into this category of person that likes to discount the potential of death due to his younger age....

So says you, but it is a valid and useful tool. As for your conspiracy theory  - no need to comment on that.   However, your brother does seem to understand the concept of statistical probability - good for him.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/estimating-mortality-from-covid-19

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think you're missing the fact that there could be long term health implications for people of all ages and they're still figuring it all out.

Do you not have anyone in the family who's 70+?   They deserve consideration in all of this too!

See deb, that's the whole reason I wear a mask and don't cough on people.

I might not be old, but I'm not new and I definitely don't wanna go around killing people with my spittle.

Do you have a Canucks mask yet?

Edited by luckylager
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The mortality rate for those age 70+ with influenza shows a similar mortality rate. 90% of influenza deaths are over the age of 70. If you are over the age of 75, you are 250 times more likely to we shut down the country every flu season?

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Okay so you want to use the study that includes pre-existing conditions. If you had stage 4 brain cancer and happened to have COVID-19, you are including in the head count of these mortality rates. If you committed suicide and happened to have COVID-19, you are considered in this study. 

In the source I quoted it takes into account the primary cause of death, not every death in which they found COVID-19 in the body.

Do your research. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, swizzey said:

Okay so you want to use the study that includes pre-existing conditions. If you had stage 4 brain cancer and happened to have COVID-19, you are including in the head count of these mortality rates. If you committed suicide and happened to have COVID-19, you are considered in this study. 

In the source I quoted it takes into account the primary cause of death, not every death in which they found COVID-19 in the body.

Do your research. 

Another one of those "Our facts are just statistics, but your statistics are facts."?