The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

German coronavirus cases rise nearly 50% in a day

Fri 13 Mar 2020 17:58:29 GMT

German cases jump

• Germany's Robert Koch Institute says number of confirmed cases in Germany rise to 3062 from 2078 yesterday

New York adds nearly 100 new cases of coronavirus

Fri 13 Mar 2020 17:59:12 GMT

Latest update from New York governor Cuomo

• Cases up 96 to 421
  • 50 of the cases hospitalized
  • 18 in intensive care

Cuomo said yesterday that he expects cases to rise quickly in the coming days.

The grim headlines just will not stop. :(

Fast and furious cancellations/postponements 

Masters link

2020 Masters Tournament Postponed

Friday, March 13, 2020

Statement from Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club:

On Wednesday, March 4, we issued a memo stating that our plans to host the Masters Tournament, the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and the Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals had not changed. Unfortunately, the ever-increasing risks associated with the widespread Coronavirus COVID-19 have led us to a decision that undoubtedly will be disappointing to many, although I am confident is appropriate under these unique circumstances.

Considering the latest information and expert analysis, we have decided at this time to postpone the Masters Tournament, the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and the Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals.

Ultimately, the health and well-being of everyone associated with these events and the citizens of the Augusta community led us to this decision. We hope this postponement puts us in the best position to safely host the Masters Tournament and our amateur events at some later date.

We will continue to work with the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Office of the Governor, the Georgia Department of Public Health, the City of Augusta and all other local authorities. We are grateful to all of these entities for their exceptional efforts and guidance.

We recognize this decision will affect many people, including our loyal patrons. Your patience as we make every effort to communicate effectively and efficiently is appreciated, and we will share any additional information as soon as it becomes available. Updates also will be posted to our website, Masters.com.

As COVID-19 continues to impact the lives of people everywhere, we seek your understanding of this decision and know you share our concern given these trying times. Thank you for your faithful support.

statement-sig.png

Fred S. Ridley
Chairman
Augusta National Golf Club

Wow.........

BOC cuts rates by 50 basis points in surprise move

Fri 13 Mar 2020 18:08:31 GMT

Second cut this month

BOC cuts rates to 0.75% from 1.25% and the statement says they stand ready to adjust further if required. They also note other liquidity measures.

Full statement:

The Bank of Canada today lowered its target for the overnight rate by 50 basis points to ¾ percent. The Bank Rate is correspondingly 1 percent and the deposit rate is ½ percent. This unscheduled rate decision is a proactive measure taken in light of the negative shocks to Canada's economy arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent sharp drop in oil prices.

It is clear that the spread of the coronavirus is having serious consequences for Canadian families, and for Canada's economy. In addition, lower prices for oil, even since our last scheduled rate decision on March 4, will weigh heavily on the economy, particularly in energy intensive regions.

The Bank will provide a full update of its outlook for the Canadian and global economies on April 15. As the situation evolves, Governing Council stands ready to adjust monetary policy further if required to support economic growth and keep inflation on target.

The Bank has also taken steps to ensure that the Canadian financial system has sufficient liquidity. These additional measures have been announced in separate notices on the Bank's website. The Bank is closely monitoring economic and financial conditions, in coordination with other G7 central banks and fiscal authorities.

They're scared, they know whats coming.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Huggy Bear 3

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Wow.........

Second cut this month

BOC cuts rates to 0.75% from 1.25% and the statement says they stand ready to adjust further if required. They also note other liquidity measures.

Full statement:

The Bank of Canada today lowered its target for the overnight rate by 50 basis points to ¾ percent. The Bank Rate is correspondingly 1 percent and the deposit rate is ½ percent. This unscheduled rate decision is a proactive measure taken in light of the negative shocks to Canada's economy arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent sharp drop in oil prices.

It is clear that the spread of the coronavirus is having serious consequences for Canadian families, and for Canada's economy. In addition, lower prices for oil, even since our last scheduled rate decision on March 4, will weigh heavily on the economy, particularly in energy intensive regions.

The Bank will provide a full update of its outlook for the Canadian and global economies on April 15. As the situation evolves, Governing Council stands ready to adjust monetary policy further if required to support economic growth and keep inflation on target.

The Bank has also taken steps to ensure that the Canadian financial system has sufficient liquidity. These additional measures have been announced in separate notices on the Bank's website. The Bank is closely monitoring economic and financial conditions, in coordination with other G7 central banks and fiscal authorities.

Mmhmm

Wait until Monday

France reports 79 coronavirus deaths up from 61 on Thursday

Fri 13 Mar 2020 18:14:11 GMT

Coronavirus deaths France rise to 79

France's reporting:
  • coronavirus deaths rise to 79 from 61 yesterday
  • Total cases are up to 3661 versus 2876 yesterday
Saudi Arabia is also reporting their statistics:
  • total cases up to 86 which is an increase of 24 from yesterday.
In other news,
  • American Airlines confirms that is in talks with the US government about possible assistance

9 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

&^@# toilet paper

I'm stocking up on booze

Stocked up on essentials myself... 4 bottles of Spanish, two French, one Argentinian and one Chilean of red wine. If the apocalypse is coming, I'll be praying to my god:

I-am-the-god-of-tits-and-wine.jpg?width=

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Mmmm.   If things get really bad, will other elections get cancelled? 

The Hill link

13, 2020 - 12:41 PM EDT

Louisiana to postpone Democratic primary over coronavirus

There's already talk that Trump might potentially use the emergency basis to suspend the election....

This is how dictators are born

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Wow.........

Second cut this month

Full statement:

Wait until it reaches negative and we will be paying banks to hold our money.

5 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Wait until it reaches negative and we will be paying banks to hold our money.

If we have negative rates there will be way more important things going on to worry about.

I can see rates back to .25% but no lower. BOC does not want to go negative. It's a death trap for an economy.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Stocked up on essentials myself... 4 bottles of Spanish, two French, one Argentinian and one Chilean of red wine. If the apocalypse is coming, I'll be praying to my god:

I-am-the-god-of-tits-and-wine.jpg?width=

Wine guy? I prefer my tequila. Or what my my friends refer to some tekillya. 

I do like those heavy sweet red/desert wines but the hangovers are brutal.