The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Stocked up on essentials myself... 4 bottles of Spanish, two French, one Argentinian and one Chilean of red wine. If the apocalypse is coming, I'll be praying to my god:

I-am-the-god-of-tits-and-wine.jpg?width=

My favorite character on GoT.  His acting was what got me through the first season.  His lines was phenomenal.

• Cheers 1

Denmark completely seals its borders from people

Fri 13 Mar 2020 18:42:13 GMT

All borders will close tomorrow

Not even China closed its borders but Denmark says it will completely close access to the country by air, sea and road starting tomorrow until after Easter.

Only Danes or people working in the country will be allowed in.

I can't imagine this includes trade but that's a dramatic step. I'm not even sure that's legal under EU rules but I don't think they care.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not even China closed its borders but Denmark says it will completely close access to the country by air, sea and road starting tomorrow until after Easter.

I can't imagine this includes trade but that's a dramatic step. I'm not even sure that's legal under EU rules but I don't think they care.

I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The numbers are constantly jumping all over Europe, and I guess Denmark wants to take action before becoming the next Italy.

Spain and Germany seems to be next in being hit hard.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If we have negative rates there will be way more important things going on to worry about.

I can see rates back to .25% but no lower. BOC does not want to go negative. It's a death trap for an economy.

Yes, agree.   I am more concerned about the US being in a state of emergency....are you aware of what they can do when in that situation???   Scary.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wine guy? I prefer my tequila. Or what my my friends refer to some tekillya. 

I do like those heavy sweet red/desert wines but the hangovers are brutal. 

I like a nice craft brew and some quality Scotch as well but yes, dry and red is my go to (and I don't tend to get hangovers).

Going to see this more and more.

More countries should be getting out ahead of it IMO. Still far too much tentative 'wait and see' happening IMO.

• Cheers 2

Oh man I slept in and missed a lot.. 

I think it’s important to remember to stay calm in this situation and keep a level head. 
This is a forum and thread for Coronavirus and if someone is posting something regarding the virus that should be okay, whether or not it’s scary. 
Because TBH all the news coming out is scary and there is nothing wrong with staying informed. That being said fear mongering shouldn’t be happening but I don’t feel posting numbers and percentages takin from the WHO to get a feel for how serious this disease is necessarily fear mongering. 

People can advocate for the BC healthcare system and people can disagree with them and that is okay as well, not everyone is going to agree. I myself thing they’re moving to slow and are running out of time to contain this here in Canada so I understand why people are questioning them. 

Anyways GL everyone, stay safe and WASH YOUR HANDS. 

Edited by Petey40

5 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Yes, agree.   I am more concerned about the US being in a state of emergency....are you aware of what they can do when in that situation???   Scary.

Maybe we should seal our border. Seeing as how they deem us a "national security threat" in order to impose steel and illuminum tariffs on us.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe we should seal our border. Seeing as how they seem us a "national security threat" in order to impose steel and illuminum tariffs on us.

As I sated yesterday.

We have close to a billion students aged 18-25 leaving for Spring break at days end today.  With travel restrictions they will be going home to smaller towns in Canada from larger urban  centres.

I expect we see an explosion in numbers over the next 3 weeks in areas otherwise unaffected

1 minute ago, Violator said:

Most people stay in the vehicles anyways

In the upper decks, yes, but not the lower ones (unless that’s changed since I last rode on one, in which case, disregard). So if you have the virus and are directed to the bottom level then you’re bringing it to all passenger decks. Whereas if you’re directed to the upper level then at least it’s only in your vehicle and everyone can isolate once arriving at their destination. I don’t like that being up to chance, allow all passengers to stay in vehicles at all levels temporarily. Sure there’ll be people who disregard the dangers and will go up anyways, but limiting those to the idiots rather then absolutely forcing anyone who potentially has it into crowded passenger levels is vital to slow the spread as much as possible.

This could also have the bonus effect of helping those with underlying medical problems avoid getting infected by allowing vulnerable people to stay away from passenger levels (high areas of transmission) to your own vehicle (which is likely cleaner and less infected then anywhere else on the boat). 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Now that all sports have been paused, has anybody else noticed how slowly grass grows if you watch it???

Or how slowly snow melts? Haven't seen the grass since November! -27 windchill this morning! :lol:

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

"We're Pulling Out All The Stops": Trudeau Promises To Help Canadians With Their Bills As He Leads Nation From Home

After his wife, Sophie Gregoire, revealed last night that she had been diagnosed with Covid-19 following a trip to London, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau - who apparently hasn't been infected - said during a noon press conference on Friday that he is feeling fine, and will continue running the country from the comfort of his home office until he's officially cleared to return to the office.

During a news conference held outside his home

n the mean time, Canada will be "pulling out all the stops"

Trudeau ticked off a litany of daily stressors that are affecting Canadians, from school cancellations creating urgent child-care needs, to workers who might need to forgo paychecks.

"We will help Canadians financially," Trudeau said, promising to help out with child care, as well as a "fiscal stimulus package" that will be delivered "in the coming days.

Trudeau also said he's spoken with world leaders including Trump, UK PM Boris Johnson and French President Emmanuel Macron, and assured Canadians that the G7 would deliver a "coordinated response" to the crisis. The leaders of the organization's nation-state members will join a conference call on Monday to decide (or not) exactly what the nature of that response will be.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Will everyone? That's the requirement here.

Again, will everyone?

The facilities should be closed to prevent the spread. Not because I want them to be. You seem to have this pious attitude towards people who don't share your opinions. That's unfortunate.

Oh coastal. Your pretention is unnecessary and doesn't help serve your point, whatever that may be. Certainly people can learn. Yes, that's true. There's a time and a place though. The willingness and capability to learn varies from person to person, you realize.....hopefully. That variance isn't something that is easily overcome, and at this present time should be addressed by removing the option to congregate.

fine

i have learned a lot about this issue myself

self education is real

you want to control behaviour

i'd prefer to educate it

and rely on people's sense of self preservation as well

not sure why you think this is pretentious?

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, nux4lyfe said:

I was thinking about this, Probably the easiest way for the virus to spread is through contaminated money, Don't know if I'm being paranoid but plastic would probably be the better idea.

Only if you use tap. Wonder how many people touch those key pads in a given day?

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The numbers are constantly jumping all over Europe, and I guess Denmark wants to take action before becoming the next Italy.

Spain and Germany seems to be next in being hit hard.

Denmark had a big jump in cases, up 353 yesterday bringing their total to 615. That’s probably why they announced these measures. Honestly I think every country should be looking at doing this.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

I was thinking about this, Probably the easiest way for the virus to spread is through contaminated money, Don't know if I'm being paranoid but plastic would probably be the better idea.

It can supposedly survive on surfaces for a few days. Good point.

• Cheers 2